× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX12000 WiFi Speed Slowdowns Daily

FelizComidas
Guide

RAX12000 WiFi Speed Slowdowns Daily

Hi All - In October 2019, I bought the CM1200 modem and the RAX120 router. The modem has been solid, but I have had speed slowdown issues since day 1 with the router, requiring a reboot every 12-24 hours to get the speed back up from 20 mbps to 800+ (I have gig internet).  I have tried a factory reset and reverting back to firmware .114 from .118. Neither fixed my speed slowdowns. 

Seeking any possible help from the community. I tried contacting Netgear via Twitter for help, but they pointed me to the support page and community - my support has lapsed, and I'm not going to throw more money at this problem on top of a router that never properly worked. I posted about my issue in another thread here (which some others had the slowdown issue as well), but the thread was dedicated to the RAX120 reset issue people experienced in March, so I'm hoping I may have more luck with a thread specifically for the slowdown issue. I also replied to their recent Reddit AMA asking for help with no reply.

Anyone have any idea what issues may cause this with this specific router, or potentially anything generally going on in the network that may be causing this?

As background (in case helpful) setup has:

• Netgear CM1200 modem which goes to the Netgear RAX120 router.
  • 1 switch hooked up tot he router that has hardwired Smarthings hub, Lutron hub, and Desktop PC
  • Wireless has 31 devices according to the app, ranging from laptops, iphones, sonos speakers, consoles, streaming boxes, lights, etc.

Thanks!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FelizComidas
Guide

Re: RAX120 WiFi Speed Slowdowns Daily

Subject Should be RAX120..whoops!

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Are you running it with wan link aggregation? If so, disable this. its been unstable since day 1. 

what firmware is on the router?

Message 3 of 8
FelizComidas
Guide

I am not running link aggregation.
Currently on firmware .118. I tried going back to .114, but had some issue (have always had the issue).
I originally went from .114 to .118 when router did a reset of all settings on .114 and would reset / lose all settings every time it rebooted (which stopped when updated to .118).
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

there's a beta firmware for the RAX120 that might help. 

You'd need to private message @Christian_R for access to it. 

Message 5 of 8
FelizComidas
Guide

Thanks. I will reach out to see if that is a potential solution.

Any other thoughts from anyone in the mean time would be helpful.

Message 6 of 8
Brian_CO
Aspirant

Did you get an answer to this question. I'm having the exact same issue.   If I reboot, speeds are great for 12 to 24 hours.  Reading other posts we aren't the only ones in this situation.   Someone mentioned it might be released to ip lease renewal that seems to be causing it, I haven't checked yet if I can increase the lease time so that I have to reboot less often.

Message 7 of 8
FelizComidas
Guide

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution, which is completely frustrating. Also tried latest beta firmware, which didn't help either. If you have any success on increasing lease time, that'd be great if you could share. Increasing the frustration is the fact we are home 24/7 right now, so very evident whenever it slows...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7