× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120V2 Disable SSID broadcast

KoinFlipper
Tutor

RAX120V2 Disable SSID broadcast

I disabled broadcast SSID for my WiFi networks, both 2.4GHz & 5GHz. RAX120V2 does not broadcast 2.4GHz SSID but continues to broadcast SSID for 5GHz band. Why does it continue to broadcast on 5GHz.  It reveals both the personalized name and 192.168.1.1

Is this a firmware issue? What needs to be done?

Message 1 of 8

Re: RAX120V2 Disable SSID broadcast

@KoinFlipper wrote:

I disabled broadcast SSID for my WiFi networks, both 2.4GHz & 5GHz. RAX120V2 does not broadcast 2.4GHz SSID but continues to broadcast SSID for 5GHz band. Why does it continue to broadcast on 5GHz. 

Is Smart Connect enabled? Guest Network?

It reveals both the personalized name and 192.168.1.1

The IP address is hardly a security risk. Indeed, even a visible SSID is less that catastrophic as long as you have decent passwords. Most people happily survive without the sky falling in.

Is this a firmware issue? What needs to be done?

Hard to tell without know what firmware you already have,

Message 2 of 8
KoinFlipper
Tutor

No, Smart Connect not on. And guest WiFi disabled. I had it a guest WiFi but disabled it as the constant broadcasting of SSID on all WiFi networks degraded my personal WiFi networks (why I was disabling SSID broadcast). Causes buffering of my streaming Roku which is on 5GHz. Didn't feel the need to change factory SSID on router (I would have reconnect ALL my Smart Devices). Not sure how often SSID is broadcast but on WiFi Analyzer App, I can see all WiFis in range. I am only one on the selected channel on 5GHz band. Either my SmartThings Hub or Phillips Hue Hub is broadcasting SSID on 2.4GHz at lower threshold and shows up on 2.4GHz as "hidden SSID" on same channel.  Of course, the Guest WiFi was also on same channel as my personal WiFi and disabling guest WiFi didn't cure the buffering on Roku.

It is possible that my older Roku streaming stick is the culprit (1080p resolution). I may not be able to receive the data at the speed of my router or is being overwhelmed by 4K resolution being transmitted from router. The signal strength at its location is "good" but not "excellent". 

I have the latest firmware for RAX120v2.  Will look it up if you need firmware version.

Message 3 of 8

@KoinFlipper wrote:

Causes buffering of my streaming Roku which is on 5GHz.

I'd try fixing that before faffing around with SSID broadcast. I can't recall any reports here of any link between those two features.

Start with the problem in hand rather than any notion of possible solutions.

I have the latest firmware for RAX120v2.  Will look it up if you need firmware version.

The only way to convince anyone, and to confirm for yourself, that you have "the latest firmware" is to tell us the number. Too many ways of checking for updates – including apps and the browser graphical user interface – are inaccurate. They can miss newer versions, especially "hotfixes". 

A more reliable check is on the product's support pages.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will have a library of firmware for your device.

Message 4 of 8
KoinFlipper
Tutor

I will upgrade to Roku Ultra 4k player even though I don't have 4k TV. Likely solve the buffering. Didn't want to pay for upgrade when I cannot display 4k on my HD TV. The Ulta has much better WiFi than the HD Roku Streaming Stick I have. Should solve my buffering.
I know I have latest firmware because I asked router to check for update yesterday and none available. I don't use any other method to check firmware.
Message 5 of 8

Makes sense of Internet speed is up to it.

Christmas present for yourself.

Message 6 of 8
KoinFlipper
Tutor

Maybe I'll go with Amazon Fire Box instead.  Roku does not support WiFi6 (idiots). Since I have WiFi6 router, should go with WiFi6 streaming device.

I have 900mbps internet speed so should be plenty fast.

Message 7 of 8

@KoinFlipper wrote:

Roku does not support WiFi6 (idiots). Since I have WiFi6 router, should go with WiFi6 streaming device.

They'll catch ip eventually.

I have 900mbps internet speed so should be plenty fast.

Indeed, I'm surprised you have any problems. Does smell like a device issue.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7