× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX20 router loses IPV6 connectivity several times daily

rgr
Tutor
Tutor

RAX20 router loses IPV6 connectivity several times daily

Using Xfinity

Modem: Netgear CM1000

Router Netgear RAX20 (which doesn't appear in the drop-down above)

My RAX20 router is connected to Xfinity and loses IPV6 connectivity several times a day. I initially used auto-detect to get a IPV6 address, after which the IPV6 page indicated it was using DHCP. For a short time, everything tests fine on IPV6 sites, but then starts to fail.

The router should support IPV6 consistently once connected, but doesn't.

I know Xfinity provides IPV6 as it does connect - but only for a short time

How can I fix this?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried connecting 1 wired PC to the modem directly with out the router being online to see if same thing happens? Possible this maybe a ISP IPv6 service issue happening on your line. Something to ask the ISP to check. 

Has this been happening all along or just started recently? 

Have you powered OFF the ISP modem AND router for 1 minute or more then back ON? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 8
rgr
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't connected a single pc to test, because I can't keep only that pc active for any significant time without access to the rest of my home network. I would imagine it would workf for some part of a day, but I can get IPV6 to work on the entire network for a few hours now - then it shuts off.

I haven't called Xfinity because their tech support on real networking issues is so poor and so long as they see IPV6 active - they won't see it as their problem. As I can get IPV6 to work for awhile, the problem seems to be restricted to the router.

I have lost IPV6 almost every day. but it's gotten worse lately.

I have unplugged both modem and router for 15 minutes, then powered the moden, then router back on. To no positive effect.

I'm on the latest firmware 1.04.100. Perhaps that's what's made it worse? I would prefer not to go back to a prior version - that would be giving up on updates unless the update specifically says it's addressing the IPV6 issue.

I've done a google search and see quite a number of Netgear/IPV6 issues being discussed - should I just look for a different router that has better IPV6 stability?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Try reverting back to a prior version that seem to work for you. 

Message 4 of 8
rgr
Tutor
Tutor

I did a factory reset this morning and lost IPV6 connectivity after about an hour. I'd move back to the prior version if Netgear recognized the problem and planned on fixing it in a future release. But I haven't seen any indication that they do or will. If I can't get this version to work, I'll have to find a router that reliably maintains both IPV4 and IPV6 connections.  Googling Netgear and IPV6 shows a pretty good number of people dissatisfied with the IPV6 suppirt that Netgear provides.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Best way to let them know is to contact NG support and confirm with them the problem. If others are having problems as well, it's a good bet NG does as well. 

Try the revert while you wait for the fix. 

Message 6 of 8
rgr
Tutor
Tutor

Reverted and can now keep IPV6 active for a couple days (as was the cas before. I have the router on a plu with a timer, so the router rests every other day. Obviously this won't work for the new firmware, as it loses IPV6 several times daily.

This is a crappy solution and I think it's time to find a router that doesn't have this problem.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements