× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 2.5 Gig Port Setup

RichDewees
Apprentice

RAX200 2.5 Gig Port Setup

I now have 1.5 download and 1 gig upload speeds along with a new modem from my ISP.  I have cabled my multi-gig port 5 input from my modem and set up the option in the GUI. 

Does the internet port and ports 1-4 now output up to 2.5 gig?  Can any device be connected to those ports and receive up to 2.5 gig speeds?  I have a new computer on the way that can accept higher than 1 gig speeds and want to make sure I'm set up correctly.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

No. The RAX500 only has the 1 multigig port. If you're using that for the input from the modem, your only option to get faster than 1 gig speeds is to use the lan port aggregation feature. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No. The RAX500 only has the 1 multigig port. If you're using that for the input from the modem, your only option to get faster than 1 gig speeds is to use the lan port aggregation feature. 

Message 2 of 11
RichDewees
Apprentice

Sorry, this faster than 1 gig is all new to me....

So,my modem hard cables to port 5 on my RAX200 (2.5 gig port - inputting my ISP 1.5 gig)....but other than aggregating 2 ports, there is no way to output higher than 1 gig? either from the internet port or ports 1-4 using a 1 cable solution?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

There isn't. 

But your wifi can hit faster than gig speeds with the RAX200. 

(provided you're close to the router as speeds drop off quickly with 5ghz and your device is capable of those speeds)

That's the downfall of faster than gigabit speeds and the current state of routers. You really have to go flagship model like the RBKE960 to get more than 1 multigig port. 

Message 4 of 11
Razor512
Prodigy

On the RAX200 on the 5GHz band, using a 2 stream 802.11ax WiFi adapter such at the Intel AX200 or AX210 (basic $17-$25 WiFi adapter), under good conditions (no radar event detected, and using 160MHz channel width), it will get roughly 1.8Gbps real world throughput with in the same room as the AP, and across a basic interior wall (wood and drywall), you can still often get around 1.3-1.5Gbps.

If your cable model offers 2 Ethernet ports for LACP, a worthwhile test to see if it fits your use cases, would be to aggregate 2 Ethernet ports for the modem, then for your main desktop PC, have it use the 2.5GbE port, and then have secondary systems use WiFi or gigabit Ethernet, or a mixture of both.

For example, many download clients will allow you to bind to a specific interface, thus you can do things like have them use WiFi while all other traffic uses the Ethernet port.

Beyond that, there is a sadly a major lack of having enough 2.5GbE ports on consumer routers.Often if you have multiple desktop PCs, where you want each to have 2.5GbE, then usually the most cost effective solution, is to get a 5+ port 2.5GbE switch (sadly those are in the $80-$100 range, though there are occasional sales), and then have your NAS and desktop PCs connected to the unmanaged switch, then have that switch connect to the 2.5GbE port of the router, while using LACP for the other Ethernet ports to the modem.

Message 5 of 11
RichDewees
Apprentice

Thanks for everyone’s input. As of Nov 1st, I’ll actually now have 2 gig down / 1 up and over time that speed will inevitably continue to increase. This presents an opportunity (or necessity) for an upgrade of my rack mounted equipment from top to bottom. My ISP provided cable modem is a single cable output. So, I’ll be looking for a new router with ability to accept multi-gig and output at least 1 multi-gig to connect to my new multi-gig switch and another 1 gig port for my existing 24 port PoE switch. Thousands of dollars to satisfy my need for speed….
Message 6 of 11
Razor512
Prodigy

If the speed trends they you have follow other countries, odds are likely that the next jump will be in the 10Gbps range. I have been looking to move to 10GbE, but beyond having some 10GbE NICs for more of a direct connection to my NAS build. The main issue is 10GbE switches are massively overpriced.

Message 7 of 11
RichDewees
Apprentice

Yes. My 24 port with 12 being PoE Netgear gig switch was a few hundred dollars and my RAX200 was $500. A (minimum) 2 port multi-gig router is at least $600 and a multi-gig switch with just a few ports WITHOUT PoE is over $2k….ouch!
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Very ouch. I snagged a cheap trendnet 2.5gig 8 port switch for around a $100 and use that for my multigig needs. 

I don't have much poe but you could always go multigig switch tied into one that supports poe with just standard gigabit ports for those devices needing POE. Best of both worlds unless your POE devices needs multigig. Then you're back in the land of spending large amounts. 

But for the most part, most devices can't fully use multigig speeds other than access points/routers/and hardwired computers. The wifi devices and even most sites that you browse on, aren't going to get close to those speeds. So do you truly NEED it? Not realy. Unless you're moving a massive amount of data. Even a lot of speedtest sites struggle to max out multigig connections. 

Message 9 of 11
RichDewees
Apprentice

My gig switch Netgear JGS524PE has PoE that I use for my Ring Elite doorbell and other security cameras and I only have 2 PoE ports left.  My house is completely hardwired with Cat8a with Telegartner connectors and I only have 3 ports left since I also do video via wall keypads over IP.  I don't rely on wifi as my primary internet. My house has chases that I can easily run more Cat8a. 

My new Alienware computer is my only gig+ device but I'm trying to future proof my equipment with my next high port count multi-gig switch that will only be an addition to my system not a replacement.

Fun winter project coming up.....  

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

I'd probably hold out before switching to the full 10g setup as prices will be coming down as more consumer gear adds the capability. I looked at going multigig a couple years ago and it was way out of range and just within the last year converted over to multigig for a fraction of the price. and I've only got 3x mutligig capable computers. 

Plus I really didn't see a difference in performance as again, most devices aren't even saturating gigabit unless I'm speedtesting or moving massive files. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7