× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 Custom DNS Not Work Occasionally

molay
Tutor

RAX200 Custom DNS Not Work Occasionally

I configured a Raspberry Pi 4 (using bind9 and static ip) as the intranet dns in the home network, and configured the primary DNS in the network settings of the RAX200 (the secondary DNS is Google DNS).

RAX200 will automatically make itself DNS query server (192.168.1.1) via DHCP.

In the past few days, I found that the RAX200 would occasionally fail to obtain the DNS of the intranet, but I directly specified the static IP of the Raspberry Pi 4 as the server through the nslookup command and found that bind9 is working normally.

This problem never happened when using old routers (eg R7000, R8500).

It looks like a firmware bug of RAX200.

model: Nighthawk RAX200

firmware: V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200 Custom DNS Not Work Occasionally

I'm currently using a rasp-pi as dns using pihole on my RAXE500 (had it on my rax200 before). 

Its been working pretty well on mine other than if the rasp-pi goes offline, its a bit of a struggle bus. 

I make sure not to have a secondary dns server setup as well as you have to make sure you're IPv6 is setup to direct to the rasp-pi as well.

Message 2 of 4
molay
Tutor

As you mentioned, in order for the intranet DNS service to work properly, the secondary DNS address cannot be set.

But this will cause a problem. If the DNS service of the intranet is abnormal, I cannot access the website on the Internet normally.

Generally, I set the primary DNS address to the IP address of the intranet DNS service, and the secondary DNS address to 8.8.8.8 or the DNS service address provided by the ISP, so that even if the intranet DNS service fails, I can still access the Internet normally.

Since my old Netgear devices don't have this problem, I still think it's a bug in the firmware of the RAX200 or even the RAXE500, so I opened a support ticket.

This post has a more detailed description of the problem: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/BUG-RAX200-always-chooses-a-random...

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Did you set it up on both the ipv4 settings and the IPv6 settings? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7