× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Readyshare issue: change mount path after router reboot

UserRax200
Aspirant

RAX200 Readyshare issue: change mount path after router reboot

Hello,

I have this issue on RAX200 for a while now on different FW version. The latest one I have is 1.0.6.138.

I considered raising support case, until I saw that it's required some subscription for me, the purchasing customer, to raise a decent bug report free of charge? Someone must be dreaming at Netgear.

So let's clarify a few things: the RAX200 has bugs. I find surprising that they are not fixed, that the proper support is not proactively addressing them. I'm kind enough to waste my time reporting that one.

Issue:

- I plug a 512GB Sandisk Ultra fit USB key (previously formatted in Fat32, now I formatted it to NTFS).

- It has in the readyshare section a mount letter of P:\ for example, along with a path like \\readyshare\P_mount.

- I reboot the router rax200 using the gui

- I check again the readyshare section, now the mount letter and path have changed (O:\).

- I do again the above, it changes again (M:\....).

Bottom line: it's unusable in SMB as I would have to change the path on the clients after every reboot.

There are plenty of other issues including:

- Very poor integration and conflicts with the netgear Nighthawk app, especially with wireless guest wifi naming, etc... In short in the router I set "guestwifi" ssid. In the app, the guest wifi has a different SSID.

- Issue with wireless guest, when enabled, I am unable to communicate in my local network between the 2.4GHZ hosts and 5GHZ hosts (for example I can't ping computer A in 5GHZ wifi, from computer B in 2.4GHZ wifi). Turning off the wifi guest network let me ping again between computer A and B.

PS: Decent Q&A and bug reporting is part of some computing industry positions, Netgear do a decent job or start paying me for my efforts. Especially when RAX200 is not that cheap.

@FURRYe38 I link to you as I can't post a short update in the main topic (New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released ).

Message 1 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Hilarious, I saw that Netgear is trying to monetize on chat support, basic support, etc... expired 3 months after the purchase of the device!!!

Unbelievable.

Thank you, it was difficult for me to choose a rather expensive hardware (RAX200). Thanks to your services you have simplified my future choices. No more Netgear.

Pfffui, I'm relieved!

Message 2 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

It certainly feels like it... 3 months after purchase, already not allowed for chat support, normal support, etc... (I don't need actual support, I wanted to contact support to report several issues).

Very limited hardware support also.

The router is crippled with bugs*, yes, on the latest firmware.

It has terrible integration with Netgear Nighthawk app (and more bugs).

So technically, I would say it's EOL (well for the one who purchase it, after 3 months).

Anyway, it does not even have extfat support, as I read around here some poor excuse that exfat is newer (lol) and not supported. And has many other issues.

Bottom line: If I were to tell me information regarding that device, that would be: keep your money and look elsewhere.

*I reported a few in a dedicated topic, it's a bit off topic.

PS: I'm a professional, so far, not seen 1 from Netgear, beyond a ton of pay-to-support junk and quite horrible customer service junk. I mean I merely tried to report some serious issues with the router, and I was impeded numerous time, as if I have to waste my time offering help to improve their junk!!!

Message 3 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200 ,

Do you mean that Share Name(\\readyshare\P_mount) be change after every reboot ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Yes.

The "Share Name" changes (like \\readyshare\M_Drive, \\readyshare\P_Drive) because the "Folder Name" changes (M:\, P:\, O:\...), same as the "Volume Name" (M Drive (460.3G) or P Drive (460.3G), or O Drive....).

It's obviously consistent like if it's M: then every naming keeps name. But it changes after every router reboot.

Message 5 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200,

Could you share screenshot for readyshare  ?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Hi, I cannot provide screenshots for now.
It was just created using default readyshare options...Nothing exotic
Message 7 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Ok, after all, I got what you asked.
Message 8 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200 ,

Thanks,

From the screenshot that you provided, Folder Name(M:\) and Share Name(\\readyshare\M_Drive), it looks good.

Message 9 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Yes it's good.
When I reboot it will change entirely:
Folder Name(O:\) and Share Name(\\readyshare\O_Drive).

So any client where I mounted that path will complain \\readyshare\M_Drive) does not exists...

And that would be true, it's not existIng anymore.
PrOblem is the drive should not take another mount letter when router reboots and/or it should be possible to modify it manually.
Ps: I did try to umount the usb, physically diaconnect it and reconnect. The letter stays the same. It's only in router reboot that it changes.
Message 10 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200 ,

I've attached a picture that you can edit "share name".

Thanks.

Message 11 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Thanks but that won't change the mount... It's different.
Message 12 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200 ,

Do you mean that you want to change "Folder name" ?

I think it is detected automatically, and it can't be changed.

Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks.

Message 13 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

The folder name, which is actually a bad naming for the "drive letter mount path" changes after every reboot of the router.
Imagine your c:\ drive (which netgears calls folder name) in Windows. You reboot your computer (the router) and then suddenly it's now called d:\ drive.

For the RAX it's problematic because you use the actual path (\\readyshare\C_drive\). Then on my client within my network I access that. So when the router reboots, my client complains that no longer exists and I needmto manually set it to \\readyshare\d_drive\.
As you say we can't change the name I notice it's like changing down from alphabet. It was P, after reboot it became O, then afternreboot N...now it's M.
Message 14 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200 ,

I also try it, and it show folder name(U:/) and it keep same folder name(U:/) after reboot.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Maybe it's due to the USB disk size (512gb),maybe it was when it's fat32, now it's NTFS. I don't know I can just tell you it's bugging here.
Message 16 of 24
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @UserRax200 ,

Thanks for reply.

And can I know what's model/brand of USB disk ?

Message 17 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

And can I ask you to pay attention to the description I provided in the first post?

Message 18 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

drive name is J 10 min after (I rebooted the router using the GUI once)drive name is J 10 min after (I rebooted the router using the GUI once)drive name was K 10min earlierdrive name was K 10min earlier

Message 19 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

firmware version (latest)firmware version (latest)

Message 20 of 24

What is the modem/gateway in front of the router?

What does Windows show in Networking?

ReadySHARE issues can sometimes show up there.

I have this issue on RAX200 for a while now on different FW version. The latest one I have is 1.0.6.138.

That is not the latest.

RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.10.140 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You might find it useful to experiment with "Alt+Print Screen" in Windows. Your camera shots are almost impossible to read.

Alt+Print Screen - Google Search

Message 21 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

As you can see the latest version of the firmware is indicated just one post above yours.
note that at the time of writing my first post, the firmware I indicated was the latest.
Anyway the issue is present with any firmware.

I have no issues in Windows with Readyshare. The modem is a fiber modem ZyXEL AX7501-B0
Message 22 of 24

@UserRax200 wrote:
The modem is a fiber modem ZyXEL AX7501-B0

This thing?

AX7501-B0 | EMEA | Zyxel

It describes itself as Dual-Band Wireless. That usually denotes an integrated router. If that is the case, then piling router oin router can be awkward.

I have no issues in Windows with Readyshare.

So \\READYSHARE is visible and accessible in Windows?

I see no indication that you have tried different USB devices with ReadySHARE.

This is a (hopelessly inaccurate) list of the things that are known to work with ReadySHARE:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 23 of 24
UserRax200
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.

1. Yes thats the device.
  2. You are correct, but I disabled DHCP on one routeur, etc....(I can't set the ISP to bridge they don't let you do that)
  3. Yes it is accessible and visible from windows. Ex now: \\readyshare\D_Drive
  4. The list is very limited 🙄... We're talking about a simple usb key here... That gives quite a bad impression of Netgear to me (in addition to their support with idiotic and unrelated questions PS: I'm in the field for 20 years or so)

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7