× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 & EAX80 vs Orbi Mesh System

JosephBanks
Aspirant

RAX200 & EAX80 vs Orbi Mesh System

Hi,

I am planning my new home which will be a reasonably large 2 storey home, about 450sqm/5000sqft (~225sqm/2500sqft per floor) and the block of land is about 800sqm/9000sqft.

The facade of the home will be brick and the internal walls will be timber and drywall/gyprock.

I intend on having the ISP internet connection connect to a WiFi Router (either an Orbi or RAX200) which I will plug into a 24 port switch to provide cabled internet to my home, but I am not sure what to do about the Wi-Fi situation.

Is it better to use a RAX200 with a single EAX80 to extend the network or a Orbi AX6000 Mesh System? The total cost seems to be about the same but I can't tell what the range of the RAX+EAX combo will get me and it seems the advertised range of the Orbi AX6000 3 Pack is more than enough for my situation.

Help! 🙂

Kind regards,

Joseph

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending on placement and distances either the RAX/EAX system would work or the Orbi system would work for most of the internal home coverage. I have a 5k sq ft home and most of the time just 1 router and satellite is sufficient. I can run two satellites however I turn down the power to 50%. 

Message 2 of 5
kc6108
Luminary

Orbi supports some, and in some cases all, of the fast/smart/seamless roaming (802.11k/v/r) protocols. RAX routers do not. This cannot be overstated. The Orbi router and satellites also provide a much tighter integration in the Orbi app. You only buy an EAX as an afterthought or out of necessity (add more coverage later on, save money, etc).

I could go on and on, but the Orbi is an awesome solution, but it is very expensive.
Message 3 of 5
JosephBanks
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast response!

It sounds like I’ll have a better time with the Orbi, I’ll go with that, maybe the AXE11000?

Will I get a better result using wired back haul between the satellites and the router? Also, can I plug one of the router ports into a switch to provide the cables network?

Thanks so much!

Joseph
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation