× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 keeps dropping off WiFI & Internet

darrensa
Tutor

RAX200 keeps dropping off WiFI & Internet

Hi All.

I purchased a NightHawk RAX200 last March, so just out of warranty!  Over the past couple of weeks it keeps dropping all connections from the Network, Ethernet & Wifi.  A reset of the router resolves the issue but then it will happen again.  I've tried a factory reset which hasn't resolved anything.  I'm running firmware V1.0.4.120_1.0.61 which is the latest available.  I'm really disappointed as I thought this router would future proof me for a few years and now it's looking like I may need to change it!  Has anyone seen this issue and can offer any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Darren

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Sometimes "the latest" isn't always the greatest. 

You could try downgrading the firmware a version or 2, doing a factory reset and reinstall. Then just disable auto-updates and see how it goes. It wouldn't be the first time a firmware update actually caused more issues than it fixed. 

Message 2 of 9
darrensa
Tutor

Thanks I will give that a go. Is there a site which lists all the older firmware versions? I could only find the last version. And is it a pretty straightforward job? Thanks Darren
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

the support site has it. 

click on downloads. 

Then click on "view previous versions"

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax200.aspx

Message 4 of 9
darrensa
Tutor

Thanks - I’ve downloaded, installed and rebooted. Will see how it goes.
Message 5 of 9
Sakazakii
Initiate

I bought my RAX200 in May 2021.  My family and I used it all through 2021 and were thrilled, but about a month ago, it started dropping the signal multiple times a day.  I looked through everything, upgrading firmware, changed a number of settings trying to troubleshoot.  The thing I noticed the most was when the top of the router felt warm to the touch it seemed to happen.  So I pointed a tower fan right at it.  No more dropped signal.  When I turn the fan off, I get a dropped signal within an hour or two at the most.  Likely time for a new router, but I would be curious to see if the fan trick gets you by for a short time like me.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 6 of 9
psychopomp123
Luminary

@Sakazakii 

I'm sure you've noticed the RAX200 has a built-in fan which is only supposed to come on once the router reaches a certain tempertaure. In your case it seems the router's fan isn't coming on when it should be, I would get RMA it and get a replacement. You really shouldn't be using your own cooling system when the router has a  fan built-in....

Message 7 of 9
Sakazakii
Initiate

Thank you. I did notice the little fan running as quick as it can. It just doesn’t seem like it can keep up. I have my router on a hard wooden board and keep it 8 inches away from the wall or other items. I have two small dowel rods I use to give it extra lift on the base to give extra airflow underneath. I know the router shouldn’t be running this hot but until I can drop another $400-$500 I will just have to keep it cool however I can. This hopefully is just a glitch with my router but the extra cooling keeps me connected for now.
Message 8 of 9
darrensa
Tutor

Hi all

So quick update, downgrade of fw didn’t work, still loses all connections. I think mine may also be a heat issue - as it gets very warm, I only ever hear the fan coming on when it’s rebooted. I’ve contacted Amazon and they are shipping me a replacement, really impressed with their customer service.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7