× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 very slow 2.4ghz (5ghz fine)

DDRocket
Initiate

RAX200 very slow 2.4ghz (5ghz fine)

Hi All,

I have had a RAX200 for a couple of months now.

I am on BT gigabit internet so get around 900mbps download. The router has been working great for a couple of months but all of a sudden the 2.4ghz channel has dropped from speeds of 400-500Mbps down to 50-100mbps.

Luckily the 5ghz channels remain fine and i can get close to 700mbps with these.

I have just tried a factory reset (using a pin on the back of the router) and completed a firmware update but nothing has helped.

I have also checked wifi congestion using Inssider and tried different channels but nothing has worked.

All the 2.4ghz settings are on max, mode 1200Mbps, 100% power etc. Also tried 20/40 coexisitence on both settings but again no difference.

I am convinced the router must be faulty (for the 2.4ghz channel) - but thought would check here first.

Seperately - if it is faulty can anyone confirm the process to log this in for repair with Netgear?

Thanks for any advice

Dan

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

there's not a chance you were hitting actual throughput speeds of 500mbps over the 2.4ghz. 

You might have had a link speed of that but not actual throughput. 

2.4ghz is a slower network than 5ghz. by a significant margin.

average throughput if you're halfway close is more along the lines of 100mbps if you don't have interference. 

Add interference/obstruction and it'll drop from there. 

I'd recommend reading a few reviews on the rax200 for actual tested speeds. 

Netgear RAX200 Review: Cool and Fast but Overpriced | Dong Knows Tech

Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 Review | Trusted Reviews

You can try changing what channel you're broadcasting on in case there's interference. 

If you live in an area without much for wifi (rare) you could disable wifi 20/40hz coexistance. I wouldn't recommend doing that if you live around others with wifi 

Message 2 of 4
DDRocket
Initiate

Thanks for the reply - after doing some more reading, you could well be right.

I was sure i had tested 2.4ghz speeds when i first got the router but maybe i was only testing 5ghz speeds. Maybe real world speeds for 2.4ghz have always been this slow from when i first installed it and its just now that i am only realising how big the gap is vs 5ghz.

Reading some of the reviews you refered to - 100Mbps seems a fair reflection..

Thanks again!

Dan

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

With my RAX, I usually just have my low bandwidth devices on 2.4ghz. Like my IoT devices, ereaders, etc. Or my devices that are at the peripheral that need the extra range the 2.4ghz provides. 

Nice thing is that most device don't need a ton of bandwidth. You can stream 4k with 30-40mbps (if its stable) connections. 

Again,  you can try changing channels to see about optimizing a bit. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7