× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX30 Locks Up

SA_Penguin
Tutor

RAX30 Locks Up

Every 2 to 3 days, my RAX30 router locks up. 

Indicator lights say all is OK, ping works (192.168.1.1)  BUT put that in a web browser, and either get a timeout or "connection refused".

This can be fixed by power cycling the router.

That's OK for a short term solution, but gets stale after about a week. I've been doing this for over 2 months. 

Router Firmware Version V1.0.6.74_1

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

2. Looks like that firmware released in march. Have you tried a factory reset? If that doesn't help, you can try downgrading the firmware a version and see if its related to the version you're on

Message 2 of 6
SA_Penguin
Tutor

Here In Australia, we Have NBN. In my case, that means Ethernet To Utp Adaptor In-house.

I Will Need To Look Up How To Do A Factory Reset / Firmaware Downgrade. Do You Have A Link?

This Stupid Tablet Insists On Capitalising Every Word (Sigh)...

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

to factory resets, push and hold resets for 7-15 seconds while the device is powered on. 

If that doesn't help, then try the downgrade. Downgrading is pretty simple. you download the firmware version you want from the support site, then follow the manual update process (in the manual) but use the firmware you downloaded and not new firmware. 

Message 4 of 6
SA_Penguin
Tutor

Update:  wife has gotten into the habit of power cycling the router whenever it hangs. So it took me a while to try the solutions mentioned here.

I've done the master reset, as suggested. Would have thought that resets the password etc. but - apparently not. Didn't delete the "Parental Controls" either. (don't know how you DO delete unwanted Parental Control groups, but that's a question for another day).

ANYWAY... router lasted less than 48 hours before locking up again.

So, next step: Firmware Downgrade.  Since this messes with wife's precious link to Facebook / Youtube etc. scheduling this may require some diplomacy.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

If it didn't clear out the password, it didn't fully reset. And our goal is to reset everything in the router in case a setting is corrupt.

Try reinstalling the firmware (in case its a corrupt firmware issue) then when its rebooted go to advanced---->administration---backup settings----Erase

that should clear out all the settings. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7