× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX30 extern antenna

Rod_Horning
Tutor

RAX30 extern antenna

Does anyone have experience with or recommendation for an external high-gain antenna?

At RV parks I often find the WiFi signal weak due to distance from the "tower".  I'm wondering is a high gain external antenna would help.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX30 extern antenna

The RAX30 is a router only device. it doesn't have any modem capability so its not connecting to any "tower". 

The problem with most rv's (not all) is that they're made with metal exteriors. Which makes them an excellent Faraday cage (blocks wifi). It blocks wifi to an amazing extent. 

Are you trying to connect to the RV parks wifi or cellular? Because each will take a different strategy. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the RAX configured? Router mode or wireless bridge mode? 

IF the RAX supports disconnecting of the antennas, might certainly try something off amazon to see if this helps. 

Whats the distances from where your at from the RV parks wifi signal source? 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

The RAX30 is a router only device. it doesn't have any modem capability so its not connecting to any "tower". 

The problem with most rv's (not all) is that they're made with metal exteriors. Which makes them an excellent Faraday cage (blocks wifi). It blocks wifi to an amazing extent. 

Are you trying to connect to the RV parks wifi or cellular? Because each will take a different strategy. 

Message 3 of 7
Rod_Horning
Tutor

By "tower" I meant the WiFi antenna(s) in the RV Park. 

Yes, I understand the Faraday cage.

And I must have been half asleep when I posted this as of course the router is NOT a modem. 

My apologies.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

So you're a little caught. 

The cage the RV is in, blocks wifi. So you need antenna's external to the RV to pickup a signal. But they can't broadcast internal to the RV through the walls. 

What I've seen be the most successful, is wiring in external antennas mounted to the outside of the RV, to a travel router (they have wisp mode). That connects to the RV park and you hardwire in a separate router to the travel router (with the RAX in AP mode). 

Message 5 of 7
flatulist
Aspirant

@plemans

who are you replying to?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

You might get a signal but it isn't going to be that great. I've lived in a tiny RV for a bit. It's amazing at blocking Wi-Fi . Yes you might get a signal but it's very directional and not great. That's why it takes creativity and some $ for a decent signal inside these ones. The newer RVs are fiberglass and pads signal much better.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series