× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX35 / RAX40 Missing Remote Management ability FW 1.0.3.94

RangerX
Apprentice

RAX35 / RAX40 Missing Remote Management ability FW 1.0.3.94

Updateded from FW 1.0.3.88 to 1.0.3.84 two weeks ago.

Noticed today that the Remote Access Management page is gone and replaced with Web Services Managment page.

The new Web Services Management page has a section labeled "Local Access" with an option to enable/disable "Always use HTTPS to access the Router".

But there is no section on this page for "Remote Access". All the options to enable/disable Remote access such as "Turn Remote Managment On", "Allow Remote Access By", "Port" are missing.

Strangely if I turn on Local HTTPS in the "Local Access" section and apply the change the "Remote Access" section will flash and then disappear. So I know the coding is there on the page... just not accessible. If I turn off Local HTTPS I don't get the flash.

So what is going on? Why was this removed? Was this a Netgear "fix" to a security problem by just removing the remote access option rather than properly fixing the bug?

Anyone else having the same issues?

Message 1 of 6
RangerX
Apprentice

Missed the following typo in OP

Updateded from FW 1.0.3.88 to 1.0.3.84 two weeks ago should be:

Updateded from FW 1.0.3.88 to 1.0.3.94 two weeks ago.

Message 2 of 6
RangerX
Apprentice

@Christian_R

Can you look into this issues about the Remote Access section missing from the Web Sevices Management page. Is this something that will be fixed in the future or is this going to be removed forever. Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RangerX - I have responded to your private message.

Christian 

Message 4 of 6
Xxracer2005xx
Initiate

Yeah, I am having the same problem. It just flashes and goes away. It does the same thing with attached devices when I go into one, theres a priority setting that flashes and goes away.

Message 5 of 6
RangerX
Apprentice

@Christian_R replied to my post. His response was that the Remote Management function is End of Life. I take it that means it will not be fixed and will no longer be available. He didn't specifiy if End of Life was for all Netgear routers or just the RAX35/Rax40. I'm guessing that there are vulnerabilites with the Remote Management function on this router and Netgear has decided it is easier to disable the function than to fix it.

After always buying and recommending Netgear products because they once made great home and small business routers, I won't be buying or recommending them anymore because of their unreliable products, terrible quality control, and horrible customer support. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7