× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

benoit_fr
Apprentice

as a precision : 4 ethernet devices and 22 wifi permanent devices at home...

Message 76 of 390

Cool. I gave up. Get firmware corrupt red light then reboot. Then works 12 hours. I ordered a premium expensive router from another brand. I’m fed up. Netgear is a shell of their past
Message 77 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Hello all,

Here is an article in french (google translate is your friend...;))

https://www.cachem.fr/sonos-et-synology-probleme-de-wifi/

It's dealing with problems with Synology / Smart Connect and Sonos speakers.

I also have Sonos speakers and was having issues with Wifi and Smart Connect

Multicast translation (and IGMP snooping in a mesh Wi-Fi system) seems to be an issue on the Syno router FW.

May be something to look at / double check for Netgear engineers ?

My two cents

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 78 of 390
ncdancer
Guide

@benoit_fr, Are you on .80 with no problems? I downgraded to .64 over a week ago also no problems yet.

Message 79 of 390
Rkohl1956
Guide

I downgraded to 64 after my first spate of problems w 80. Never looked back as I’m running fine w 64. I’ll give the next release a looksee when it comes out, but have no interest in dealing w 80 at this point.
Message 80 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Back to 0.64 firmware due to WiFi problems.... Please Netgear tell us that at least you identified stability problems..
Message 81 of 390
jbng1
Initiate

I set 5Ghz band to max out at 1200mbps and router seems more stable on firmware .80

Smart connect enabled

It still fallsback to 5Ghz channel 36 no matter what channel you set in the settings which is a bummer. 

iPhones on Wifi 6 also complain intermittently of a wrong password probably has to WPA3 or something.  Only fixed by rebooting the router.

I've had the RAX40 for a few months now and overall it is a terrible abysmally bad router.  Just absolutely god awful.  I've never spent this much time playing around with a routers settings just to get it to get a stable WiFi connection.

For anyone even considering this product please save yourself the misery and buy another brand.

Message 82 of 390
Don9
Aspirant

Hard to believe this problem has yet to be fixed.

I have the same problem and hed to downgrade software to precent crashes. 

Message 83 of 390

Probably frowned upon but I bought a pricey router from another brand known for cable modems. Zero issues. No reboots etc. good luck guys. I’ll never buy netgear again 😞
Message 84 of 390
mhau00
Initiate

I have enjoyed an R7000 for many years, but it is on its last legs.

I bought this piece of junk in the hope of experiencing the same quality.

Since buying it a couple of months ago, I've had nothing but trouble.

Factory-resets and downgrades and upgrades, nohting has made this "excentric"

combination of Hardware and Firmware stable enough to use in anger.

The crappy piece of firmware has not had a fix for ages and they expect customers to take this?

I'm going to buy another brand and toss this thing in the bin.

I'm sad that Netgear doesn't realise that quality is something you can't skimp on and expect brand loyalty.

I guess it is the usual, C-level execs firing people that actually do a job and giving themselves

fat bonuses for "savings".

I can tell you it is not working in the long term.

Message 85 of 390
1van
Initiate

[Issue with RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80] My partner and I are working from home these days. Video conferencing is an essential work routine for us to connect with our teams and clients. From time to time when both of our laptops join video coferencing (together on the 5G SSID) at about the same timeframe (ie. the start of the hour), the RAX40 would disconnect from the Internet to all devices. The only way to "fix" this is through a router restart which takes a good 3-5 minutes. Imagine when this happens when you need to VC with your supervisor or client.....very frustrating and embarassing.

On my PC, sometimes it will show IP address conflict issue when the disconnection happens. That being said, I want to highlight that our laptops internet browsing is working fine together beforehand and somehow the disconnection issue gets triggered when we start VC-ing together.

I have now downgraded the firmware back to 1.0.3.62 and so far it is more stable and no issue yet with the aforementioned scenario.

On another noteworthy experience - earlier I was considering to get the EAX20 WiFi Extender to boost the signal strength to my bedrooms and I was enquiring about the EAX20 product detail with a sales representative. Below are his exact words:

"The EAX20 works with all other routers with the exception of RAX40. We have asked Netgear representative to see if there are any beta firmware that can fix the issue but none so far and no timeline."

I know this has been reported by other on this thread already but just want to share with how this issue translates into sales opportunity and customer perception - a Netgear extender product that can connect with all other routers in other brands except for thier very own RAX40.

Anyways, will be nice if someone from Netgear product team can include the fixes in the next firmware and shred some light when this next firmware will be released.

Message 86 of 390
Profinet
Star

To the Netgear moderators or super admins

REMOVE THE 1.0.3.80 FIRMWARE FROM THE SERVER

It is rediculously unreliable and frustrating and is not up to Netgear standards. In fact, this whole particular Router is a dissapointment.

I personally use dozens of Netgear professional products, but this makes me wonder whether the Netgear quality and reliability is now a thing of the past. 

I think it's pretty evident that at least for the RAX40, Netgear didn't actually build or design this router and its entire existence was farmed out to a sub-par company and all they did was supply the logo for marketing. Netgear also didn't do their quality control and now they are having trouble negotiating with the manufacturer for a fix. It's the only explanation I can think of. I have never seen such poor support or a response from the company. Their online reivews are just riddled with almost automated responses of "please run how to troubleshoot your wifi connection". It's as if the person responding to these doesn't realize that saying the same thing over and over again won't give you a different result. It's time to just admit fault and remove these off the shelves. It's pretty obvious by all the online reviews and this discussion board that this has been a disasterous product for you. 

Message 87 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"The EAX20 works with all other routers with the exception of RAX40. We have asked Netgear representative to see if there are any beta firmware that can fix the issue but none so far and no timeline."

Not true. My EAX20 is solid with RAX40 w/ firmware 1.0.3.64. Extender download speeds are up to 225 mpbs.

1.0.3.80 is a different story though.

Message 88 of 390
1van
Initiate

Believe the sales representative is making that comment on 1.0.3.80

When I was enquiring about EAX20, the representative actively checked with me whether I am using RAX40 and shared with me the limitation. Think it is a known issue already reported by other customers or their internal sales guide

Message 89 of 390
benoit_fr
Apprentice

Couldn't agree more with previous post.

Please remove this buggy firmware from your servers and advice people to do a roll back while waiting for a better fw.

This will prove that Netgear is still a serious company that does mistake (it happens) but is working hard for resolving all these issues for their customers. 

Else, it might be interesting to consider something like a remplacement program or provide discount for people who would be ready to  switch toanother netgear Wifi 6 router product (it there's still some customer to do so...)

Message 90 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes it does NOT work with 1.0.3.80 whatsoever. Very frustrating. I have been in touch with Netgear support and I have sent some debug files in regards to 1.0.3.80 firmware. It seems everyone knows about the issue and the waiting game sucks ...

Message 91 of 390
regghk
Aspirant

after updating firmware Version V1.0.3.80_1.0.1
Already experience 2 times, the router suddenly have no connectivity (wired nor wireless), and after normal switch-off then on, it was hard-reset and need to reconfigure again.

already twice happened in a week...
Message 92 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

Nighthawk AX4: RAX35
Firmware Version: V1.0.3.80_1.0.1

I installed a RAX35 router less than 2 weeks ago and during the setup wizard the firmware was updated to 1.0.3.80. I have been experiencing the issues described in this discussion. I did talk to a Netgear support representative who walked me through reflashing the router and resetting back to factory defaults. I'm still seeing disconnects and the router freezing. The support tech didn't appear to have any knowledge of a firmware bug that would be causing these issues.

Below are my issues:
- Random disconnect using 5Ghz - This occurs even when I'm only a few feet away from the router with strong signal. When the disconnect occurs, 5Ghz connections are dropped from multiple devices. I was able to reproduce it by running an internet speed test a few times.
- Router freeze - Occasionally the router will completely freeze. Connections are dropped, 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs disappear from discovery, LAN can't connect to internet, and even the WAN connection on the router is no longer active from the modem. Only a power cycle resolves this issue.

I've tried a variety of different settings but have been unable to isolate the issue. I did move the 5Ghz to channel 48 @ 574Mbps and it made things significantly worse. This was surprising since channel 149 - 161 has many more surrounding networks compared to 36 - 48.

I have not tried to reflash the router to the older firmware version. I was hoping it was a setting causing the issue. I'm familiar with networking and routers so @Christian_R  please message me if you want me to try something. My old Netgear device from 2014 rarely has an issue, unfortunately, it's only b/g/n. Hopefully someone will post details on an updated firmware that addresses the issue.

Message 93 of 390
pbulteel
Star

I say this with all sincerity. You just bought this router. get your money back. Run for the hills. Save yourself. There's cheaper stuff out there that's a million times better than this. It's not worth trying to get this working. 

Message 94 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

Thanks but I actually purchased the router a while ago and I'm just now getting around to setting it up. Unfortunately its past the return date. The RAX35 seems to perform and work good immediately after a power cycle.

Message 95 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

This evening my WiFi 6 phone disconnected from the router and wouldn't reconnect on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. The wifi was cycled on the phone but still wouldn't reconnect. The router showed the phone as an attached device and I didn't see anything unusual in the router logs. After I disabled AX on the router, the phone reconnected and I haven't had any connection issues.

Message 96 of 390
kkc2020
Guide

agreed. i will NEVER buy another netgear device. absolute garbage and terrible tech support

Message 97 of 390
carminea
Star

Part of our problem is we are posting complaints in here nobody reads them but us with the issues, netgear is not reading these forums. Start complaining social media sites and computer blogs and computer magazine websites. Maybe it will then get attention for a fix
Message 98 of 390
TOKEN_
Tutor

@Christian_R how are you going with the net gear teams you where in contact with. You have been very quiet on the topic considering you where asking for more information so you could pass to the support teams.
Message 99 of 390
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

Yesterday all of my devices on the 5Ghz band wouldn't connect to the router. They would connect and immediately disconnect. The 2.4Ghz band continued to work fine. After rebooting the router, everything worked properly again. Is there a way to reboot the router on a schedule? Is there a way to submit a bug report to Netgear after the technical support period ends? This weekend I might try downgrading the firmware.

Message 100 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7