× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 Not working with external Switch

dannyy
Follower

RAX40 Not working with external Switch

I swapped my Arris Wireless Gateway with a dedicated DOCSIS 3.1 modem and the RAX40.

I have an 8 port switch plugged into one of the router ports and it works fine on the Arris but none of the devices will get an IP address or work through the switch after I plugged in the RAX40. I tested the cable and ports and the same cables and ports work directly connected to one system instead of through the switch. Going back to the Arris it works so the switch is fine. It is a simple TP-Link 8 port gigabit switch and I tried my 5 port switch but still having the same issues. I tried rebooting all devices, older firmware, current firmware, different ports,  etc.

Firmware version v1.0.3.64_1.0.1

I'm at a loss on how to troubleshoot further.  Also tried static IP address but not working. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: RAX40 Not working with external Switch

@dannyy wrote:

I swapped my Arris Wireless Gateway with a dedicated DOCSIS 3.1 modem and the RAX40.

I have an 8 port switch plugged into one of the router ports and it works fine on the Arris but none of the devices will get an IP address or work through the switch after I plugged in the RAX40.

Does stuff work if you plug into the RAX40 rather than the switch?

When you set this lot up, did you take it through the correct startup procedure.

You can't just unplug one router from a modem and replace it with another one.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

What is this dedicated DOCSIS 3.1 modem?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7