× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 Readyshare - 14TB Western Digital External Desktop HDD Not detected by router

itsmehuey
Luminary

RAX40 Readyshare - 14TB Western Digital External Desktop HDD Not detected by router

Hi guys

I’ve just purchased a new 14TB WD External Desktop HDD connected via USB 3.0 to my RAX40 (replacing my 4TB WD Passport Portable SSD) and for some reason I cannot see it in the router’s Readyshare page on the router’s admin console. Previously my 4TB drive would show up and I could connect to it via my laptop but the 14TB just won’t work.

What is strange though is that it can see the drive and files in DNLA and my LG smart tv can see the drive and connect and play movies/tv show video files from my TV perfectly fine but cannot access them through file explorers. Is there some issue with the file server/SMB implementation in the nighthawk RAX routers that won’t allow larger size drives to show up?

Thanks in advance.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
itsmehuey
Luminary

Re: RAX40 Readyshare - 14TB Western Digital External Desktop HDD Not detected by router

bump... anyone?

Message 2 of 6
itsmehuey
Luminary

Re: RAX40 Readyshare - 14TB Western Digital External Desktop HDD Not detected by router

Bump... still not able to resolve this. Anyone have any ideas?

admin console page shows Readyshare is "Ready" status and am able to connect to the HDD from my TV to stream via DLNA.. but cannot see the USB drive inside the Readyshare page on the router admin console nor can I connect to it via network file share.

Message 3 of 6
itsmehuey
Luminary

Another bump... still no answers.

To recap - ReadyDLNA works fine for streaming media files via upnp, but ReadyShare SMB is not showing the USB drive so I cannot remotely access files via file explorer on my computer which is a pain in the butt because I have to constantly unplug the USB HDD from the router and plug it into my computer to transfer files before plugging the drive back into the router for media streaming.

Message 4 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello itsmehuey,

Hope you're doing well! Wanted to check in and ask if you still had an open support ticket with our support team?

Regards,

Christian 

Message 5 of 6
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello itsmehuey,

Hope you're doing well! Wanted to check in and ask if you still had an open support ticket with our support team?

Regards,

Christian 

HI Christian, no I don't have any open support ticket on this - I wanted to check here first to see if anyone else had the same issue. I have also checked reddit and there was 1 other person who has had this issue too. I just didnt know whether it was a technical issue or if it's just a limitation of the router itself.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7