× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 USB Support

Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

RAX40 USB Support

Hi all,

My router is a

Nighthawk RAX40
Hardware-version R1.05
Firmware-version V1.0.2.60_1.0.1

I'm looking for info on approved/compatible USB devices to use for Readyshare.

The list available on Netgear site doesn't include RAX40 and when checking other RAX models, the stated stick is Sandisk 64 gb.

That particular stick isn't easily available anymore - can anybody confirm make/model/capacity that works?

All replies most appreciated

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

@Spi_Dybot wrote:

The list available on Netgear site doesn't include RAX40 and when checking other RAX models, the stated stick is Sandisk 64 gb.

That list has always been a very poor guide. Incomplete and out of date. No change since 04/05/2019. (In Netgear's inimitable style it uses dates that mean nothing to most of the world, that one is probably the 5th April 2019 and not the 4th May 2019.)

Is this a pre-purchase question? If you have one already, try what you have lying around. Then use that list of other models for general guidance.

As well as the manual's advice, note that ReadySHARE does not like partitioned drives. Most drives <4TB seem to be OK. Even some bigger drives work.

With luck a RAX owner will be ab le to give you more specific advice.

Message 2 of 13
Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

Thanks 😉

Not a pre-purchase question, I already own the thing and it serves me well.

Now the desire to use Readyshare came up, and when testing whatever lays around I found that an SSD drive was recognized as 931 mb despite in reality being 931gb and out of 8 sticks (don't remember where I got them and the majority nameless), it recognized a Western Digital 4gb (now aka San Disk) and a Kingston G4 Traveller 16gb. Of course these are too small 😞 and I suspect going for a newer of same brand wouldn't ensure that it works (because everything in this industry changes so frequently).

Might just go for a San Disk 3.1 of whatever the budget streches to in capacity. Not too fond of having external box due to location and space.

Message 3 of 13

@Spi_Dybot wrote:

...an SSD drive was recognized as 931 mb despite in reality being 931gb

I'd lay money on it being partitioned.

These things often turn up with a partition reserved for drivers, manuals and stuff. If you can, try a complete format of the drive. If you are on Windows, use disk manager to look for partitions.

Message 4 of 13
Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

Already formatted it before connecting, not even as Quick format but completely to NTFS.

Message 5 of 13

Checked for partitions?

Message 6 of 13
Topology
Virtuoso

Spi_Dybot, one option to consider is the Samsung FIT Plus flash drive, which works well as a ReadyDRIVE device on my RAX120. The drive is very compact, reasonably fast, and does not become excessively warm when in use.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 13
Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

Thanks Luminary, will keep that in mind.

No partitions. Used Windows Disk manager and Partition manager to restore Partition tabler etc., to no avail.

The router regularly says 500 - Server Error which is annoying. Especially because as reboot (sloooow) doesn't solve it. 😞

To test it I've ordered a SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.1. Will arrive by mail, hopefully to be plug 'n play.

Message 8 of 13
Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

Given the advice that it works, I ordered a Samsung Fit Plus 256GB USB 3.1

At least one of the two on the way is bound to work Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
Topology
Virtuoso

Spi_Dybot, please share your experiences with the SanDisk Ultra Fit after you have tested it.

Also, the following article may be of interest, which suggests that formatting the flash drive as NTFS may generally be preferable: FAT32 vs. exFAT vs. NTFS USB3 Performance Comparison

P.S.: I previously noticed a number of consumer complaints about the SanDisk Ultra Fit, concerning the fact that it runs hot and subsequently fails for some individuals; and for this reason personally avoided purchasing it.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 10 of 13
Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

Hi

Sharing lessons learned:

The compatibility issue most likely stems from Netgear using an OS that storage devices are not really
designed for.
Hence the USB device must not need a driver or any 'smart' software to be executed for it to work (encryption, security etc.)

I tested various old external hdd's but these are hardly relevant as no longer available to buy and most nowadays prefer ram based storage like SSD and sticks, running USB 3.x for best performance.

If you have any sitting on a shelf just plug it in and see. If incompatible it won't be [properly] recognized by the router and you may see '500 - Internal Server Error' when loggin in to the router from a browser. Unplugging the USB culprit helps. In some cases the router needed a reboot to get back to normal.

So far I've found these to be plug 'n play out of the box:

Kingston DataTraveler G4 16gb
INF USB 2.0 4gb
San Disk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 flash Drive 128gb

Surprisingly not detected:
Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus 256gb. As this drive in 128gb capacity work for others, the problem might be the 256 gb capacity!

Message 11 of 13
Topology
Virtuoso

Spi_Dybot, I was surprised to see your post stating that the Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus 256GB drive was not recognized by the RAX40.  I have been using the identical device (256GB capacity) as a ReadyDRIVE with a RAX120 for several months with no issues.

Just curious:  did you format the Samsung FIT Plus as NTFS?

Message 12 of 13
Spi_Dybot
Aspirant

I too was surprised.

The Samsung came as exFAT format which I tried first. No success, so formatted it to NTFS.

Unfortunately that did not solve the matter.

Can't say if it is the stick's capacity, a thing inside the RAX40 (latest firmware installed) or combination.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7