× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Wifi SSID disapear when connecting extender

Ch4rlus
Aspirant

RAX40 Wifi SSID disapear when connecting extender

Hello,

I think this topic has laready discussed in another thread here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX40-SSID-disappear/td-p/1963851.

However, I can't add a comment to that thread so here is a new one.

I have a RAX40 with the firmware version: 1.0.3.80 (not the 1.0.3.88 with no wifi AX).

I just purchase a brand new EAX1800 extender to create a mesh network, or so I expected.

When I configure the EAX1800, the RAX40 wifi SSID becomes invisible. I still can connect to the extender's wifi (with exact same SSID), but the extender itseldf is not connected to any other wifi (the one to be extended) and when I log into the RAX40 router using a wired connection, I see that the SSID has been renamed as RAX40PSEUDO and RAW40PSEUDO-5G.

I can't change the SSID to the previous name, I click "Apply" and nothing happens.

I have AX and QOS enabled. I might disable those features.

Can anyone help ?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Ch4rlus
Aspirant

Ok so upgrading to firmware 1.0.3.88 fixed the issue.
Now I have a dump Wifi 5 router and a working extender. I'm frustrated but at least I have something working.
Next time I'll consider other manufacturers.
Thanks a lot for the support and suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

did you setup the extender using wps? 

If so, try factory resetting it and setting it up using the installation wizard

Message 2 of 14
Ch4rlus
Aspirant

I did not use WPS to setup the extender.

I tried setting up the extender with both the android nighthawk app and the mywifiext local website, reseting the extender by pressing the reset button for 7 second in between the two tentatives.

Should I try WPS instead ?

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

worth a shot
Message 4 of 14
Razor512
Prodigy

I recommend setting up the extender via the web UI. It gives more control and fewer annoyances.

Beyond that, you should be able to give it the same SSID and password as the main WiFi router so that your client devices have an easier time roaming.

While you will not get all roaming assists, you will have 802.11k on both devices which should help a bit with client directed roaming.

PS most WiFi analyzer apps as well as the WiFi lists on most devices will combine APs when they share the same SSID.

Message 5 of 14
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to also determine, are you still getting the issue where the SSID in the advanced page is disappearing for the main router, or is it simply that you are not seeing a separate SSID for the RAX40 after setting the extender up?

Also WPS for the extenders are fairly unreliable, especially when you want to extend both bands.

Message 6 of 14
Ch4rlus
Aspirant

I'll check the advanced page.

To clarify the process:

1. plugin the extender
  2. setting up the wifi (both band) with the exact same SSID and password as the main router
    1. Using Nighthawk App
    2. Using mywifiext
  3. Validate
  4. Extender is not connected to the router (Router link LED is off). SSID (common to both router and extender) is visible but not connected to internet. Here I assume:
    1.  it is only the extender that broadcasts that SSID
    2. the extender is not connected to the router
  5. I connect to router with a wire
    1. Wireless settings are changed to a RAX40PSEUDO(-5G)
    2. I try to change the SSID manually to the common one,
    3. click apply, nothing changes

At this stage I have a wifi network with the common SSID but no internet connection on that wifi.

The underlying reason seems to be that I'm connected to the extender only and the extended is not connected to the router because the router failed.

The router has AX et QOS enabled, I've read that those features can be pretty buggy.

Would you recommend to disable them (and may be switch to a newer firmware version) ?

Message 7 of 14
Razor512
Prodigy

Usually for netgear extenders, you have to select AP mode instead of extender mode if you want to have a wired connection to the main router. If you initiallly ran the setup wizard for extender mode to wirelessly connect to the main router, then it will need to be set up again in AP mode.

Message 8 of 14
Ch4rlus
Aspirant

Thanks for your advices.

@Razor512 I don't want to use the extender as an AP, but as a repeater. The extender is not connected to the router using a wire.

I used a computer to log into the router admin console using a wired connection.

Update:

I've disabled AX and QOS.

As @plemans suggested, I've tried to configure the extender using WPS as suggested.

This time only the 5G band was visible (2.4 was not visible). But again, the extender was not connected to the router (Router Link LEDoff).

The visible wifi was not connected to the internet. When loging in the admin console of the router using a computer plugged into the router, this time the Wifi SSID was not changed, everything looked OK from the admin console.

However, for all wifi devices, only one wifi was visible, and it was the one from the extender not connected to the router and thus, internet.

The router on the other side was well connected to internet (I checked using a computer wired to the router to test).

So conclusion, everytime I try to set up the extender as a wifi repeater, something fails on the router and it stops broadcasting its own wifi.

The extender ends up well configured but not connected to the router (as the router has no wifi anymore).

Do I need to buy another router ? I'm seriously considering it as this pandemic is forcing us to WFH and extended wifi would be a big plus.

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Did you ever start with everything factory reset? 

push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on for both the extender and the router. 

Then start with them back at stock and see if you can set them up. 

Message 10 of 14
Ch4rlus
Aspirant

I've tried resetting all devices to factory settings.

I've setted up the router first, then the extender.

Exact same issue: The wifi from RAX40 router disapears as soon as I connect the extender.

I've found that the RAX40 with firmware version V1.0.3.80 has a lot of wifi issues: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Nighthawk-Rax40-router-stops-sendi...

Someone mentioned downgrading to the firmware version V1.0.3.64.

Do you know how I can do that ?

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

You download the old firmware then just follow the manual firmware update process from the manual. Fairly easy to do and worth trying. 

Message 12 of 14
Razor512
Prodigy

For the main router, enable smart connect to allow the same SSID to be used on both bands without the - 5G on the end.
Message 13 of 14
Ch4rlus
Aspirant

Ok so upgrading to firmware 1.0.3.88 fixed the issue.
Now I have a dump Wifi 5 router and a working extender. I'm frustrated but at least I have something working.
Next time I'll consider other manufacturers.
Thanks a lot for the support and suggestions.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7