× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 refuses to detect internet, can't even get to settings page'

theagg
Star

RAX40 refuses to detect internet, can't even get to settings page'

Someone else who purchased a RAX40 had the same problem I'm having and posted here but to try to further raise this issue I will make a separate post. (all that follows is hard wired, not WiFi)

Plain and simple I cannot get the AX4 to detect the internet. Have followed the listed sequences for plugging and power cycling both this router and the modem it connects to multiple times, have tried different variants on sequence numerous times, reboots, resets. All fail to detect the internet. Even when the AX40 has a full set of green LEDs on display, it still cannot detect the internet.

Sequence goes like this....

With everything connected, all green lights lit.

Go to AX40 router login page in browser (192.168.1.1)

Immediately an 'agreement' page opens, asking you to click 'agree' to proceed with the installation.

Click agree and the page displays 'detecting internet connection'. This fails.

Another page opens asking you to check power cycling modem, cables etc. Selecting one option there, or 'none of the above' then clicking 'next' result in another 'detectig internet', which again fails.

This brings up another page asking you if you have a static or dynamic IP. Selecting whichever and then clicking 'next' once again tries to detect the internet, fails and brings up the 'Problem detecting the internet:MAC' page.

entering the MAC of the old router or PC also fails and the browser page then goes back to the page asking yout to check power cycling, cables etc.

At no point can you actually get into the routers settings page.

(The modem the AX40 is plugged into is a Virgin Media Hub 3, Arris I think,) that requires dynamic DHCP) As with the previous poster, you can log into the modems setting page, using it's 192.168.100.1 address through the AX40.

So what's going on with this router ?!

Message 1 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX40 refuses to detect internet, can't even get to settings page'

Hi theagg - Thanks for your post. Have you tried setting up the router using the Nighthawk app?

~Christian 

Message 2 of 5
theagg
Star

I didn't try that yesterday, as all efforts then were to get it working via hard wired LAN to PC.

So yes, dug out my tablet today and installed the Nighthawk app. Result...success ! However, it wasn't a smooth success.

At first, when starting the app, it checked cable connections, tick. Then checked internet connection (the stumbling point via PC and LAN) and amazingly found the internet with no issue. The app then asked did I want to set up the router (or skip)..Choosing 'set up router' it opened the password and security questions set up page and once these were filled in, wait for it, it failed with a 'configuration error', stating it could not apply the settings. (Check wifi message came up etc)

At this point since it had found the internet in the Nighthawk app via wifi and my PC was still wired up by LAN, I went back to check if the PC could now see the internet. Sadly no, the web page login attempts on the PC stil failed.

Back to the Nighthawk app then and restarting that it once again checked cables and internet, green ticks to both. This time though instead of setup router I chose 'skip setup', which opened up the settings selection page and immediately a message popped up saying 'new firmware update available'. That downloaded, installed and the AX40 rebooted.

Following this, the 'setup' screen now worked and more importantly the PC via LAN could now se the internet and access the routers settings pages.

Basically then, this whole problem seems to have been caused by problematic firmware as exists straight out of the box, which meant that a] you could not access the initial password setup screen on Wifi and b] couldn't access anything hardwired via the LAN ports...

Message 3 of 5
Wayne1938
Tutor

Having the same problem.

I received the router from Amazon this AM and tried everything possible for 4 hours.

The diffence I have, is the internet light stays amber and never changes to green.

Rebooted the modem several times. Tried both my desktop and laptop wired and still it won't detect the internet. 

Plugged my old router back in and it fires right up using the same cat6 patch cables.

Called Amazon support and they said it must be a bad unit and are sending me a new router monday.

Any suggestions when I get the new one?

Thanks.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5

@Wayne1938 wrote:

The diffence I have, is the internet light stays amber and never changes to green.

Rebooted the modem several times. Tried both my desktop and laptop wired and still it won't detect the internet. 

This means that the router is not establishing an Internet connection.

There can be various reasons for that. A common one is that people just unplug one router and replace it with another one without configuring the whole network.  That is almost guaranteed to fail.

The modem in front of the router and the stuff behind it have all created configuration settings that recognise the rest of the network.

It is best to  clear the settings on everything, including the modem, and then build the network from scratch.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the router to forget its misspent past with the old modem. That means rebooting the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

By the way, you have just joined in on (or hijacked) an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you want help with your problem, it helps to check all previous stuff that may be related, but then you should start your own discussion. In this was you can also provide your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7