× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 router slower than previous D7000v2 AND Nighthawk app on android very slow FOR RAX40 router

reetzNZ
Aspirant

RAX40 router slower than previous D7000v2 AND Nighthawk app on android very slow FOR RAX40 router

Firmware (according to NH android app) is v1.0.2.46_1.0.1 

I purhased this router RAX40 a week ago when my Netgear D7000v2 was having issues and decided to upgrade to his model instead as the shop convinced me this was a better/faster router.

When setting it up online at http://192.168.1.1/start.html, it takes forever to load and equally slow to respond.

When using the Nighthawk android app, that takes forever to load and is slow to respond (pause/resume etc) too!

When I had the D7000v2, I used the Netgear genie app on android, that was fast and responsive.

This router isn't giving me better speed that the previous router.  My internet keeps dropping offline, although it generally reconnects immediately, this is driving me nuts.

I am not tekky inclined so please don't give me tech talk, I need layman's terms, equally, I am not tech-dumb, I can follow instructions if they are clearly laid out, preferably with pictures :).

I don't know what to do, I feel like I should've accepted a new D7000v2 instead of being talked into this one.

My broadband plan is fibre 100/20.

I've tried to search everywhere but there isn't a lot of info on this RAX40 to follow, that relates to my issues.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Re: RAX40 router slower than previous D7000v2 AND Nighthawk app on android very slow FOR RAX40 route

@reetzNZ wrote:

I purhased this router RAX40 a week ago when my Netgear D7000v2 was having issues and decided to upgrade to his model instead as the shop convinced me this was a better/faster router.

The D7000v2 is a modem/router. The RAX40 is a router.

What is the modem in front of the RAX40? If it is the D7000v2 then it needs to be in modem only mode. Either that or the RAX40 needs to be in AP mode.

Failure to do that means that you have two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

Re: RAX40 router slower than previous D7000v2 AND Nighthawk app on android very slow FOR RAX40 route

Thx for trying to help me. I am not connected to anything other than the RAX40. I was simply comparing it with my previous router/modem D7000v2. The RAX40 is slow all on its own. The other thing I referred to was the corresponding Nighthawk app I run on my mobile which is also slow, I was comparing that with the previous router's android app. Does this clarify?
Message 3 of 19

The RAX40 is a router. To connect to the Internet it needs something. Previously you had the D7000 V2. 

What sort of Internet service do you have? What is between your RAX40 and the outside world?

Message 4 of 19

@Redtulips7 wrote:

All AX Router's are slower than any AC Router!!! NG will tell you something different to defend their Products!! I am 1 Feet way from the AX120 Router and signal strenth showing 78% where my previous Router X9000 shown 88%

Signal  strength does not measure speed.

AX routers need the right wifi clients to gain any speed over AC devices. If you don't have an AX capable client,  and don't want to get one, there isn't much point in buying an AX router.

But there is no reason why a non AX client should be slower.

There could be various reasons why people do see a slower connection. But diagnosing what is going on depends on having proper details of the user's network.

In this case @reetzNZ says they have replaced a DSL modem.router, the D7000v2, with a router, and that they have cable Internet.

That just does not make sense. It may be that they are wrong in saying the have a D7000v2. Maybe an R7000?

Or they may have set up the D7000v2 in router mode.

Whichever is the case, we need to know that before anyone can hope to understand why they think their new router is slower.

Message 5 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

Apologies, now I understand, it's the ONT from Chorus who do all NZ fibre installations, I can't change any of those settings as it's wired to my wall, a cable is plugged from there into my router RAX40 and then powered into the wall socket.
Message 6 of 19

@reetzNZ wrote:
it's the ONT from Chorus who do all NZ fibre installations

But where did the D7000v2 come into this before you replaced it with the RAX40?

The D7000v2 is modem router that turns a DSL connection – Internet that comes over a telephone line – into local Internet for you.

So the D7000v2 would be no use with an ONT connection unless it is set up to bypass the modem bit.

I'm sorry that I have repeated myself so many times, but after posing the same question three or four times I am getting no nearer to understanding what is going on at your end.

@reetzNZ wrote:
I can't change any of those settings as it's wired to my wall, a cable is plugged from there into my router RAX40 and then powered into the wall socket.

Can't change what settings? The ONT? The RAX40?

What's wired into your wall? The ONT?

You have a cable from the ONT to the RAX40?

Do you still have the D7000v2? Do us a favour, pick it up and look at the label on the bottom.

model number

What does it say in the Model: slot?

Message 7 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

I do not have the D7000v2 plugged in any longer since I swapped it out for the RAX40. The ONT is wired into my wall. The RAX40 is the router I'm complaining about with regards speed plus the corresponding android app that manages it. The D7000 was used prior to my getting the RAX40, I do not have it in my possession any longer. I have a landline phone plugged directly into the ONT, the phone is not in anyway connected to the RAX40 router in question. It's difficult to reply as I cannot see the whole reply trail to ensure I have answered all your questions. Pls be patient with me as I'm trying to provide you with what you're asking in the hope you can help me.
Message 8 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

I'm not sure whether to respond to this, there is excerpts of comments made and I don't know if you're asking further questions of me but I can assure you I did not get the model of my previous modem/router incorrect, it was D7000v2 not R9000. It is also not the issue as I swapped it for the current and only router that I now have which is RAX40, which is what I am complaining about, the speed of the latter is slower than my previous one. To compare what you have (AX120 shouldn't be slower than R9000!!!) isn't helping my situation, or are you not talking to me, are you talking between each other in my post? G thought I had answered all your questions Mr Kenward, in order for you to help me, haven't I? What is an "AX capable client", how do I know if I have that? I asked for patience and layman's terms and now the tech talk is getting me confused. What should I do, return the RAX40 and get a different router?
Message 9 of 19

@reetzNZ wrote:
I'm not sure whether to respond to this, there is excerpts of comments made and I don't know if you're asking further questions of me but I can assure you I did not get the model of my previous modem/router incorrect, it was D7000v2 not R9000.

I give up.

You said earlier:

it's the ONT from Chorus who do all NZ fibre installations,

By default, the D7000v2, a modem/router, will not work through an ONT. That is an Optical Network Terminator. They sit on networks that have an optical cable delivering the Internet. The D7000v2 is a DSL modem/router that gets the internet over a copper cable.

I apologise for the distraction that @Redtulips7 introduced. It is kn oiwn as "hijacking. I just wanted to correct any misinformation that they introduced. You can safely ignore their messages and any replies to them. They have nothing to do with your problem, which is why hijacking is against the rules.

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

Back to your issue. Knowing what is happening depends on a proper understanding of your network. I am completely baffled. You say you are replacing a device that should not have worked at all with your optical Internet service. It is like saying you are trying to get a boat to cruise along a motorway, or a car to travel down a river.

Message 10 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

Ok, I understand when you say it like that, the motorway analogy.

Anyway the D7000 was used prior as an access point but it's no longer in use so I can't keep referring to it, it's just that I got better speed when it was in use. What can I do to get the RAX40 doing a better job? Or should I be considering taking it back and swapping again.
Message 11 of 19

@reetzNZ wrote:

Anyway the D7000 was used prior as an access point ...

Access Point or router?

They are very different.

If it was an access point, providing only wifi, then it was connected to a router.

@reetzNZ wrote:

...it's just that I got better speed when it was in use.

Wifi speed? With what devices? 2.4 Ghz or 5 GHz?

How fast is your internet? What speeds do you get with wired devices?

Wifi speeds are notoriously difficult to measure and compare.

How did you test the speeds.

@reetzNZ wrote:

Or should I be considering taking it back and swapping again.

That's your call, but you may end up with the same problem.

Message 12 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

The D7000 was connected as an AP while using my previous provider's router. Then when I switched provider to my current one, I was able to solely use the D7000 until it suddenly stopped hence I took the router back to the retailer and instead bought the current RAX40 and now it's slower. We keep talking about the D7000 but I no longer use or have it. I test speeds on my laptop or my mobile at speedtest.com, average approx 95mbps download, 19mbps upload. I test on both 2.4 and 5ghz and usually on wifi only. Is there any settings or tweaking I can do to this router RAX40 that might make a difference? Is it possible switching provider's could make a difference? I feel pretty naive.
Message 13 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello reetzNZ - Have you gotten a chance to contact our support team for assistance? Your router is provided complimentary support. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 14 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice Christian, I actually didn't think of that myself but I am concerned they might ask me questions (techy type questions) that I wouldn't know how to answer.  I'm still weighing up my options, I'm actually thinking about taking the router back given everything is slower than it was with my previous router, including using the associated android Nighthawk app.

Message 15 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@reetzNZ - Our support team assists all customers with all levels of technical knowledge. Please feel free to contact our support team or send me a message with your contact info and I can assist with support reaching out to you.

~Christian 

Message 16 of 19
reetzNZ
Aspirant

Thank you Christian, I appreciate the few who tried to assist me but out of frustration as there was too much focus on my previous router/modem, I found it too difficult to keep up with the assistance on offer and filter out the highjackers. I think the best advice I got was to utilise the free three month assistance line. Anyhow apart from the actual RAX40 router, the Nighthawk android app was unbelievably slow to use to allow me to manage my children's internet time, turn their devices off etc., it just wasn't responsive and took too long to process. Anyhow, I had been so loyal to Netgear but I took the router back, got a credit for it and have since purchased a Synology one which is great, fast internet speeds, very awesome phone app with immediate response upon each click and very customizable. So again thank you and everyone else who tried to help me. Regards, Rita
Message 17 of 19
Redtulips7
Luminary

@reetzNZ wrote:
Thank you Christian, I appreciate the few who tried to assist me but out of frustration as there was too much focus on my previous router/modem, I found it too difficult to keep up with the assistance on offer and filter out the highjackers. I think the best advice I got was to utilise the free three month assistance line. Anyhow apart from the actual RAX40 router, the Nighthawk android app was unbelievably slow to use to allow me to manage my children's internet time, turn their devices off etc., it just wasn't responsive and took too long to process. Anyhow, I had been so loyal to Netgear but I took the router back, got a credit for it and have since purchased a Synology one which is great, fast internet speeds, very awesome phone app with immediate response upon each click and very customizable. So again thank you and everyone else who tried to help me. Regards, Rita

Smiley SadMan Mad

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 18 of 19
Redtulips7
Luminary

@reetzNZ wrote:

Yes yes Smiley SadMan Mad

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7