× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 set up VPN

Say_What
Aspirant

RAX40 set up VPN

Good day, I've been enjoying my RAX40 router for years. I have a Surf Shark VPN service that I use on my PC and Android phone. My wife is all Apple, I want to set up my router with VPN. I'm researching how to do this to possibley avoid issues and have the whole household knocked off the wifi while I try to figure this out. Can anyone advise a sure fire proceedure to ensure a flawless execution and rapid success to accomplish my goal?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

there isn't a surefire way. The RAX devices support openvpn

https://kb.netgear.com/29783/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-router-with-my-Android-device

Not surf shark.

And it doens't look like surf shark supports having a vpn built into a router. From looking at their site, its designed to be installed to computers/pc/tablets/phones. Not directly to a router. Some vpn's offer custom 3rd party firmware you can install to a router (not the rax ones) so only the router needs the vpn settings. 

Message 2 of 5
Say_What
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice, do you know of a router that supports SurfShark vpn?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I looked up surf shark and they don't have any router based vpn's. Its all installed to the individual devices from what I can tell. 

You'd probably get a better response by asking surfshark if they plan on implementing a router based approach or not. 

Message 4 of 5
Arkmantodd84
Aspirant

Surf Shark customer support rep says it can be set up on the following: R7900, R7000, R6400V2, R6300V2, R6220, & WNDR4300
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7