× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX43 - Firmware Limitations and Bugs.

Ah_Wah
Tutor

RAX43 - Firmware Limitations and Bugs.

RAX43 Nighthawk® 5-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router (funny it is not listed in the community's model / product list)

I always loved and recommended Netgear products ever since my Netgear Wireless N router many years ago.  However, with this new router I brought, I am starting to regret I didn't research further on their latest product.

Bugs (Case #44456833):

1) If the blocking rule is set to a range of IP addresses, it is NOT blocking "ALL" services as intended while causing some lags in the networking.

• If the blocking rule is set to a single IP address, it will work as intended and will NOT cause lags in the networking.

2) After a reboot (soft) of the router, 2 out of my 3 blocking rules are missing. I have restore the configuration file or redo them manually.

Bug 1.pngBug 2.png

Firmware Limitations:

1. The Access Control is pretty useless if there is no scheduling available. On my old Netgear Wireless N router, I can set a schedule for specific device to have access to the Internet.  They took away some basic functions on the newer router.
  2. The Schedule control is inadequate at its current state. I cannot set more than 1 time frame to control the network.

1 - Access Control.png2 - Schedule.png

I am using the Web Admin console and NOT the Nighthhawk App; however, these limitations for the basics are so ridiculous that I felt they are trying hard to force you to purchase their extras (like parent control and antivirus).  Reviewing online, ASUS and TP-Link does NOT force you like this.  Matter in facts, most comments found (Google) shown they are excelling in these areas.

Conclusion: Is Netgear heading the wrong direction compare to other brands and their competitors?

Pros: Great reliable hardware.

Cons: Cumbersome technical support and insufficient firmware for advanced (user) control.

If I cannot control my network properly (with rules and settings), why do I need the CPU and RAM on this model?  I mind as well purchase a cheap wireless AP instead!

Message 1 of 4
IDraper
Tutor

I think Model numbers are different in Australia.

RAX43  - Nighthawk  AX5   5 Stream AX4200 Wifi 6 Router

Firmware  V1.0.2.94_2.0.58  Latest

Problem 1:  The Advertised Smart Parent Control feature - does not exist on the Nighthawk App or when directly accessing the router from a desktop  - Netgear support have not been able to respond or resolve this.

Problem 2:  The time of Day Block is designed the wrong way. 

You have to specify a start blocking time and then an End Blocking time.  

Therefore you can not block night time use as this requires 2 block periods which this router does not enable.

It would make more sense to request an unblock start and an unblock End.  (You would think that you would want to block a child accessing their devices before say 7:00 in the morning and then re block say 10:00pm at night)

Perhaps if the Smart Parent Control feature was working you wouldn't need to use the security block

Message 2 of 4
Ah_Wah
Tutor

My firmware version is still V1.0.2.82_2.0.50 in North America.  My case is either on hold or closed.  But NOTHING is resolved!!!

It took me almost a week to get pass their 2nd tier for esculation.  Now, it seems their technicals for firmwares are too busy to care about existing / old client.  You only get 90 days of technical support which is useless unless you don't know how to setup a router.

Anyway, based on this experience and more research online.  I will recommend the following to you for future references.

• If you want Pro stuffs, I advise looking up Asus products as their reviews (including service support) are better.  Based on the screen shots I found online, their firmware configuration is more inline with what we want to achieved (more down to earth, LOL).
  • If you want cheap stuffs, I advise looking up TP-Link products as their reviews are OK (actually, their service support reviews are the best).  Based on my experiences wth their product from work, their firmware configuration are usually very open.  You can almost config most (if not all) common settings, rules, and schedules.

This is sad to say, but this is my last product purchase from Netgear.  Sorry, but it is the truth!

Message 3 of 4
IDraper
Tutor

I think I will purchase the Trend Micro's Home network security as this offers all the features that Netgear SPC claimed as I have not heard back from Netgear support

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7