× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router not showing up as available networks

mangotango
Guide

RAX43 autoupdated firmware, changed SSIDs, and now wifi is very sporadic

Last night  my RAX43 did some sort of auto-update/factory reset, which put my SSIDs back to factory defaults.  I fixed that, reconnected wifi, but now the problem is the wifi signal keeps cutting out every few minutes.  This has never happened before and nothing I can do fixes it. I'm on firmware V1.0.12.120_2.0.83.

Message 2 of 9
mangotango
Guide

Re: Router not showing up as available networks

Same exact thing happened to me overnight on a RAX43 router. I woke up to find all my network names were gone and had reset to factory default. I also noticed it auto-updated my firmware overnight. This has never happened before. More concering is, once I restored my SSIDs and got everything re-connected, wi-fi is now very flakey. The router keeps dropping the wifi signal.  No idea what's going on.

Message 1 of 9
mangotango
Guide

Router not showing up as available networks

I have a RAX43. It appears overnight (Nov 8 or 9) a firmware update was forced on the router to 1.0.12.120.

First, it set everything back to factory defaults so all my SSIDs had to be renamed. 

But far worse is the fact that wi-fi started cutting out every 3-4 minutes on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels. Nothing I did could fix it.  I've owned the router about 1.5 years and never once had any issues til now.

I finally forced a reversion back to older firmware and whola, wi-fi is working again.  

There is something seriously buggy about 1.0.12.120. 

Message 3 of 9
bob70
Aspirant

Re: RAX43 autoupdated firmware, changed SSIDs, and now wifi is very sporadic

It looks like this is what happened to me as well, for my RAX43. Unfortunately, it won't let me recover the admin password. One of the security questions is asking the name of my youngest brother, and I don't have one, and would not have used that as my own security question (I bought the router new).  There doesn't appear to be any way around either coughing up $90 for the GearHead support, or just putting that same $$ toward a router of a different brand. So... I guess I am out.

Message 4 of 9
mangotango
Guide

That's absurd. Have you tried a factory reset?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? I recommend giving a reset and setup from scratch WITHOUT loading any saved backup configurations from file a try. 

Message 6 of 9
microchip8
Master

People, DISABLE auto-update. With the current state of NG firmware it can even brick your router, not just reset it!

I did a manual update and no issues here so far.

Message 7 of 9
Razor512
Prodigy

Seems to also be impacting the RAX50 as well.

Best to do a factory reset and and set up from scratch.to rule out any potential for issues given how this update is behaving for some users.

Message 8 of 9
mangotango
Guide

My RAX43 did a factory reset last night because it auto updated to new firmware, which then screwed everything up. I had to revert to older firmware, and then disable Autoupdate so this doesn't happen again.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7