× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45-100NAS - Issue connecting to "access point name"

beelymagee
Aspirant

RAX45-100NAS - Issue connecting to "access point name"

I configured a new Netgear Nighthawk RAX45-100NAS (AX4300) o be on my network with Linux firewall system IPFire as the firewall, internal router/DHCP, DNS, Proxy, etc. (This IPFire installation has been used in the same configuration for a number of years without a problem.) I turned off the DHCP option on Nighthawk and set the IP to be part of main network subnet which is 192.168.10.xxx. Wireless and wired devices can get on Internet fine. I have both the 2.4 and 5 networks "combined" to a single name.

I try to use the Netgear Nighthawk app (oni Phone) and it can’t see “the router” - "Issues connecting with "access point name" - I’m guessing that is supposed to see beyond IPFire i.e. CenturyLink modem. I plugged the Nighthawk directly into the modem’s Ethernet port and it was happy.

I cannot access the web interface on the Nighthawk with either a wireless or wired connection - times out.

Interesting note: the original static IP I used for Nighthawk is now longer visible on network with nmap and ARP scans. I can’t determine what the Nighthawk’s current IP address is - traceroute reports as my originally configured address but that host is down. I haven't done a reset on the Nighthawk (yet) so I don't understand how the static IP I originally supplied has disappeared.

My network is configured as:
CenturyLink fiber converter to their modem -> Ethernet connection to IPFire box RED (external IP), 2nd NIC for internal GREEN network goes to network switch which feeds the house (and the Nighthawk Access Point).

Is there some firewall rule I should set up to allow Nighthawk to see beyond the IPFire?

I’m thinking I may have to start over with configuring Nighthawk so I can gain access to admin screens. I don't have Kaspersky running anywhere!

-*-Bill

Message 1 of 3
beelymagee
Aspirant

Re: RAX45-100NAS - Issue connecting to "access point name"

I did a reset of the access point and was able to get back in to the admin web portal. I found part of the issue: buried deep in one of the sub-menus - there is actually an option to go into Access Point mode only - I supplied the static IP and subnet, gateway setttings, plugged into the “Internet” port (to talk to the IPFire system), all good - flood gates opened and I could perform all necessary configuration steps.

Message 2 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX45-100NAS - Issue connecting to "access point name"

Hello Bill,

Thanks for providing an update to thread as it may possibly help others in the future.

Regards,

Christian 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7