× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX45 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router keeps going offline

dlflemingos
Aspirant

RAX45 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router keeps going offline

The router is 6 months old and recently starting going offline 4-5 times/day.  Phone wifi says connected no internet and wired has no internet and neither can access the router.  Sometimes I see authentication error on my phone.  I seem to have the latest firmware.  Reseting the cable modem doesn't help.  Rebooting the router fixes it for a few hours.  This morning, I reset the router and it's still dropping offline.  

This is a huge problem as it drops in the middle of meetings, etc.  Need to fix or get a new router quickly and not sure I want another RAX45 until I figure out what's going on. 

Not sure why RAX45/AX6 isn't in the model pulldown menu.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

what modem do you have?

Are you sure its the router? if its happening 4x a day, direct wire a pc/laptop into the modem and use it. If its still dropping, then you'd need to look at the modem or the line from the ISP. If it doesn't drop, then we can further investigate the router. I recommend doing this because it stinks burning hours trying to fix something and you come to find out that device wasn't the issue

Message 2 of 7
dlflemingos
Aspirant

The modem is Charter Specturm Hitron E31N2V1 and it's about 3 months old.  The old one was dropping off daily.  Turns out we had a very old modem and a weak signal. The modem dropping had different symptoms (could still connect to the wifi and router - just no internet) and was fixed by rebooting the modem. Now rebooting the modem does not help. 

The symptoms this time are you can't connect to the router wired, wifi or with the nighthawk app (wifi). Fortunately, rebooting the router works for about 2-3 hours.

I have hooked up directly to the modem and that works fine. 

I meant to post

Firmware VersionV1.0.2.82_2.0.50

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Have you tried downgrading the firmware a version? Some of these newer firmwares gets updates for the underlying coding (from broadcomm/intel/qualcom/etc) and they can introduce bugs. 

Message 4 of 7
dlflemingos
Aspirant

Which firmware version should I load?  I've seen that suggestion, is that Netgears solution?  I thought when I reset the router the firmware might reset and I'd try some intermediate firmware but that doesn't seem like a realistic solution.   

Message 5 of 7
dlflemingos
Aspirant

I'd finally had it and was going back to my old AC Router.  When I went to unplug the network drive, I realized that the issue may have started about when I upgraded from a 250GB to a 1TB SSD.  So, I gave it one more try with no network drive and so far so good for 24 hours.  Now that I think about it, the 250GB would die about once/wk and the 1TB about 4times/day.  Does this make sense? Why would the network drive cause the system to crash. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Not sure why that would cause it but it isn't the only time i've seen connected devices cause issues. I've seen older fire sticks cause issues and networks to drop

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7