× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 AX5400 AX-6 Stream Router - Access Control Screen on Web Interface Goes Blank!

slackrl
Luminary

RAX50 AX5400 AX-6 Stream Router - Access Control Screen on Web Interface Goes Blank!

Hello Community!
1st Pls pardon the length of this post.

Here's the deal.

June 12th Purchased RAX50 AX as replacement for Older NetGear AC router.
-Setup Router by loading latest firmware .chk files manually.
-Current Version is V1.0.2.94_2.0.58
-After update performed Router Hardware reset.

Access Control screen on web interface goes blank.

Tried several reboots. Factory Reset appears to be the only thing that restores
the Access Control screen and then it is only temporary!

It appears this problem has existed since 2018!
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Access-Control-page-blank-on-Nighthawk-X10-R... 

After factory re-set Access Control page can be seen.
ADVANCED|Security|Access Control
After router scans network and attaches some devices, Access Control screen goes blank
With a very brief load.
Copying it's page location (see router link below) in another browser tab shows the whole screen briefly.
http://192.168.1.1/DEV_control.htm

Before I used the access control for MAC filtering on my previous NetGear Router. I won't use
it on the RAX50 as I suspect it will accept a few entries and go away, then the only way to get
it back is to Factory reset the router.

I could even work around this by not using MAC filter, labeling all attached devices which
would allow me to see if an intruder or unknow device attaches to the network which I could then block.
However blocking is done on Access Control page which does not show up! Making this is impossible.

This router now has the feel of a unsafe router in this area.
Even though it has NetGear Armor and all.
NetGear Armor says it will protect all devices on a network. However this does not appear to be the case

1. If you have older devices that can't run newer version of BitDefender.
2. If you have IoT / Smart home devices.
Both of which are true in my case.

Blocking on the Nighthawk App is sometime hit and miss.

At least MAC filtering via browser access added some security.
Although that train of thought appears to be going out of favor with devices that generate a new MAC
addresses when turn off and then on again to prevent MAC address spoofing and such. Case in point
Apple's new introduction of "Private Wifi Address"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227 

I will be calling tech support on tomorrow. If this can't be resolve then I will have to give up on
NetGear NightHawk WiFi 6 routers on the assumption that all have the same problem as this $300 Router.

If anyone knows different pls chime in.
Anyone having solved this problem pls post.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
RangerX
Apprentice

Re: RAX50 AX5400 AX-6 Stream Router - Access Control Screen on Web Interface Goes Blank!

Hi. Read your post and followed the links you posted as well as other related posts on the forum. I have a RAX35/RAX40 and it was useless for over a year due to bad Netgear firmware. Basically Netgear's recommendation was to use a version of firmware that turned off the AX functionality so it can run stable as an AC router. They finally released an update that seemed to fix the problems about a year later. See RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log - NETGEAR Communities .

I am not a troll or out to bash Netgear. But based on my experience I suggest you determine what the return policy is of the store you bought your router from and figure out the date you must return the router by to get your money back. Then work with Netgear to see if they can fix your problem permanently. Beware if they offer to send you a replacement router as it is likely a firmware not hardware failure (and this will make you miss your store return date). If you are not 100% satisified with the router by the store return date then return the router. to the store and look for another router. Otherwise you may be stuck with a router that doesn't perform as advertised and it may take months or even years (if ever) for it to get fixed. It will save you months of frustration.

Message 2 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

Re: RAX50 AX5400 AX-6 Stream Router - Access Control Screen on Web Interface Goes Blank!

Thanks RangerX

Much appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

Just to be clear I really wanted to keep this router
I do like NetGear products.

I have owned the WNDR4500 N900 series v2 and v3
I bought the v3 as a backup for the v2.
v2 give up the ghost as it got too hot in my home's network closet.
Fixed the heat problem

7/1/2021 Called NetGear Tech support
Came down to factory reset.
Access Control Screen appears.

Tech said to leave up for couple of hours keeping RAX50 in factroy resest credentials without changing SSID or password
After two hours RAX50's wifi stopped working to certain devices mainly AppleTV's on wireless acces.
Access Control Screen Disappears.

Called NetGear Tech Support
Support Recommends upgrade to new software Hot Fix.
Which had be done previously when I purchased the RAX50.

Per Tech Support Re-Down loaded from: support.netgear.com new firware update.
Updated Firmware manually.
Setup up Router.
Support I think, though 1st Hot Fix update was corrupt.
Per Tech Support "if problem returns will escalated to level 2".
Factory Reset.
Now AppleTv's Connects Wirelessly.
Access Control Screen Appears.
Waited about and hour.
Access Control Screen Disappears.

Called NetGear Tech Support
Referred to Level 2 Support.
Level 2 Supports wants to replace RAX50 as defective.

It this point I declined..

As this prolem seems to be ongoing since 2018.

Will return RAX50 router to seller.

Putting the WNDR4500 N900 series v3 back in service.

Will be looking at another brand along the same price point.

RSlack

Message 4 of 14
RangerX
Apprentice

Your interaction with Netgear support and final decision to find a different manufacturer router is how I figured your issue would end. Replacing a router with bad firmware with an identical router with the same firware problem is not a solution. Hopefully you are within the store's return policy window.

I too have bought and preferred Netgear routers for many, many years. Always used their products and recommended them to others. But unfortunately Netgear no longer creates and sells a reliable product line nor can create firmware that provides full advertised functionality consistantly. Until Netgear can fix it's internal problems and stop selling inferior, unreliable products, I will be looking at other vendors for my networking hardware needs.

Message 5 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

Hi RangerX

I have already returned the RAX50 to Amazon.

I'm within the window for product returns.

I believe with Amazon you can reguest a return on their site, as long as it is submitted before the last date listed to request a return, you are good to go.

Any any rate Amazon has refunded and credited my account.

I've ordered a new different brand wifi 6 rounter.  It should arrive early next week

The other thing that was currious to me was that the RAX50 per NetGear is a wifi 6 device.

To-date (7/8/21), however on the Wifi Alliance web site he RAX50 has not been certified as wifi 6 ! Only the RAX120.

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=certified&sort_order=desc&categories=4&keywords... 

The new one I'm purchasing is WiFi certified per Wifi Alliance.

Thanks for the post.

Have a great day

Jesu Loves You.

RSlack

Message 6 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

The Only one in the RAX Series, There are other NetGear devices that are wifi6 Certified.

Message 7 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

Ooops got that all wrong had to redo the query

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=certified&sort_order=desc&categories=4&capabili... 

And the results for RAX Series is:

There are no products that match all your criteria, please try again or adjust your selections

RSlack

Message 8 of 14
RangerX
Apprentice

Yes, not unusual for Netgear products to not be certified especially when the they put out routers during the draft period (before it becomes final and AX certifiable).

AX non certified routers means they are not guarenteed/required to have all the features required by the WiFi Alliance. As important, they are not guarenteed to work with other WiFi Aliance certified AX devices. Also to be certified requires extensive testing to prove it meets the WiFi aliance criteria. It's good you bought a AX certified router.

Good luck with your new router. 

Message 9 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

Thanks RamgerX

slackrl

Message 10 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

New Router is

ASUS RT-AX88U

So for really liking it!

Will give a couple of days more,  post back and then close this discussion.

Message 11 of 14
RangerX
Apprentice

Did a quick look at the ASUS RT-AX88U that you bought as a replacement for your unreliable Netgear RAX50 router. The specs look great.Great reviews. Full featured. Sounds like an upgrade. Let us know how it works out especially reliability and if all functions advertised are available and working consistantly. Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

Will do..!

slackrl

Message 13 of 14
slackrl
Luminary

1st of all pricing.
The RAX-50 MSRP $299.00 US
The ASUS RT AX88U MSRP $350.00 US
My cost $299.00 US

So far all feature sets appear to work well. Time will tell.

This Post is not to bash NetGear products...!
I do have other NetGear Equipment that I'm keeping and is working well, using in conjunction with this ASUS router.

I do hope NetGear Engineers are peeking in and taking notes.
This could up their game!

This router is definetly an upgrade

-From 4 lan ports to 8 Lan ports.
-Trend Micro comes with free life time support.
 -Router Security Assessment.
 -Malicious Sites Blocking.
 -Vulnerability Protection.
 -Infected Device Prevention and Blocking.
-Whereas the RAX-50 with Bit Defender paid subscription.
  Nothing against Bit Defender I did like what it was doing for network protection.
-Mesh ready.
-More stable and responsive Phone app.
-Parental Control.
-Dual ISP Support using one of the lan ports as a 2nd WAN port, or usb ports for phone isp tethering if primary isp goes down secondary ips will kick in.
-Can funtion as gaming router.
-WiFi6 Certified.
-2 Year Warranty

In light of new trends agaisnt using mac filtering protection which can allow mac spoofing.ect.
( Again: See Apple's new network setup recommedations.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227  )

This router will let me see all attached devices when not using mac filtering, for monitoring, which the RAX-50 would not.

Features I really like:

A working simulator/demo to test drive the router's web GUI.

First time I tried it I thought I was using someone's router!
https://demi.asus.com/index.asp 
IMHO: NetGear should create one of these!

Traffic Analyzer
-Ability to see graphically how devices are using up bandwith, you can even see what apps on an individual device are using.
-Abiltiy to see web pages visited by devices and browsers.
Adaptive QoS
-Easily Setup QoS In fact the grapic and animation with this router help me finally wrap my head QoS.

Things that I had to work at with this router
-MAC Filtering equivalent on this router is what ASUS calls static ip assignment or so it seems.
However there is a MAC Address Asignment area, maybe I need more time with that one.
-Not as intutive as NetGear some things are more technical, However setup is a breeze just let ther router figure out your isp just as NetGear routers do, then tweak from there.
-Once setup the ASUS router will change your lan ip addressing to 192.168.50.xxx instead of 192.168.1.xxx
easily changed in case you need to keep the same lan ip scheme.
-Had to turn on the router's firewall.

Things to try
Ability to use third party user web GUI interface that looks just like the stock inteface.
With the third party approved by ASUS and the abilty to return to the Original stock at anytime.
The 3rd party interface having more options that get passed down to the stock interface.
Supposedly 3rd Party get's more updates than the stock from what I can see with a stable version and beta version.

Well enough for now as this is a NetGear forum.

Respectfully

slackrl

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7