× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 (ax5400 6 stream) DFS Event Logging?

Deil
Aspirant

RAX50 (ax5400 6 stream) DFS Event Logging?

Is there any way to view DFS event logs on the RAX50? I am wanting to take advantage of the functionality since we are in a crowded area, but with a police station and airfield near by we want to be sure we won't be suffering frequent channel hops during the day.

Are these events logged in the router?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: RAX50 (ax5400 6 stream) DFS Event Logging?

Sadly the USB storage option is only for if you do a packet capture, where it will save the packet capture files to USB storage.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Deil,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
Deil
Aspirant

Hi Chris,

I am outside my 90 day warranty... but I don't have a problem with my device... I just have a functionality question. Does anyone on your staff know if DFS events are logged by the RAX50?

Message 3 of 6
Razor512
Prodigy

Typically DFS events will only be logged in the debug logs if you head to the router page /debug.htm and then log for a while, and then save the log files and review them for DFS events. It works well if logging for a few hours, but it is not good to log for multiple days as logs are saved in RAM, thus it becomes possible to run out of available RAM if logging for too long. Though saving the log file, clears it from RAM.

DFS is fine if you are not experiencing frequent DFS events. The time when it becomes a major issue is if you are close enough to an airport where it is constantly changing channels due to radar use.

Message 4 of 6
Deil
Aspirant

Hi Razor - Thanks for your insights here!

I do live near an airfield (though it is uncontrolled and I don't believe it runs radar) - so that is why I wanted to check on this.

I am on the debug page for my router and looks like there is good information here.

There is an option on the debug page to save logs to a USB storage device - I put in a USB thumb drive (tried both NTFS and FAT32 formatting) and while readyshare recognizes both/either - each time I try and set the debug logs to "USB Storage" the option reverts to "System Memory".

I realize I can follow the steps you described and capture short-medium term logs in memory, but would prefer to use USB storage so I can get a week+ long log to verify I'm not getting any DFS events. Do you (or anyone) know how I might fix the problem of not being able to select "USB Storage" on the debug page for log storage?

Message 5 of 6
Razor512
Prodigy

Sadly the USB storage option is only for if you do a packet capture, where it will save the packet capture files to USB storage.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7