× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX70 Starlink setup

Ben71
Aspirant

RAX70 Starlink setup

I'm not super technical but I can follow common sense instructions. 

I have Starlink service in Australia. I purchased the RAX70, or AX8 or AX6600 router to replace Starlink's router becasue the Starlink router signal is dropping off at about 2.5 meters in a  straight line of sight. 

I have the Starlink LAN adapter becasue I had a Netgear switch for security cameras. So the first thing I did was disconnect the LAN cable coming from the Starlink dish to the Netgear switch, then turned off and removed the Netgear switch. 

I disconnected the Starlink dish cable feed and power supply from the Starlink router. I connected the LAN cable adapter from the Starlink dish directly to the 'internet' port on the RAX70. I powered up Netgear's router and was able to connect to my MacBook and phone via wifi, but with no internet connection. I followed the admin setup for the RAX initialisation but I am getting no wifi signal. I had previously read I do not need to keep the dish connected to the Starlink router but is this correct? I can't see how the dish is powered, and I am getting no internet. So can somebody help? I searched for about an hour and couldn't get any results.

I'm updating this about 30 mins after I posted this. I decided to connect power to my Starlink router and plug the LAN adapter connecter to the Starlink router to the 'internet' port on my Netgear router. I can connect (it seems) to the netgear default network and it has internet, but it is slow, way slower than it was with just the Starlink router connected. I've yet to check the range because I don't want to set up a new ubiquity camera network until I know the router setup is optimal. Plus why bother with the netgear if I have to still connect Starlink's router? I get this might be to power the dish, but if it's not for that then I would appreciate any and all help. 

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Message 1 of 4

@Ben71 wrote:

I have Starlink service in Australia.

How does Starlink deliver the Internet to you? Is this satellite Internet?

I have the Starlink LAN adapter ....

What does that do?

I connected the LAN cable adapter from the Starlink dish directly to the 'internet' port on the RAX70. I powered up Netgear's router and was able to connect to my MacBook and phone via wifi, but with no internet connection. I followed the admin setup for the RAX initialisation but I am getting no wifi signal. I had previously read I do not need to keep the dish connected to the Starlink router but is this correct?

What you need to do is to avoid having two routers on the network.

The easiest option would be to use the RAX router instead of the Starlink router, which seems to be what you tried. Then you have to work put how to get the RAX to connect to Starlink. That, I fear, is down to them and what they tell you to do.

Starlink is a bit exotic in Internet terms – cable, DSL and "fibre" are more common –  so you may have to seek local advice on how to use Netgear routers on the service.

Have you asked Starlink how you can use an alternative to its router?

As you seem to be playing with the dreaded NBN service, this might be a good place to start

Whirlpool Forums

But first you could try this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Starlink

Message 2 of 4
Ben71
Aspirant

Thanks for your efforts to reply. It's a pity that you've confirmed what I believe and that is that nobody gives a **bleep**. That's not directed at you, but if a guru is saying go figure then I'll have to return the $500 router tote store. Starlink sold me a service with a **bleep** router, but it works, so in their eyes they've kept up their part of the bargain. If never are selling a wizbang dogs balls router I kind of expect they'd support it. I realise I've connected with the community becasue they save dollars by using customer labour to provide support (what a con) to other customers. So I guess I will the to accept that the pre sales advice I got and post sales performance don't match and it's a loss for netgear. 

Again, this is n't directed at you, but if a Guru is saying "ask Starlink" then I am reading between the lines and understanding I've no hope of resolving the problem with Netgear. No probs, I mean it's a pity, but I won't get upset about it, what's the point of me giving a **bleep** when Neither Starlink or netgear do, past making a sale and getting your money that is. Can't wait for this nuclear war...

Message 3 of 4

@Ben71 wrote:

Again, this is n't directed at you, but if a Guru is saying "ask Starlink" then I am reading between the lines and understanding I've no hope of resolving the problem with Netgear. No probs, I mean it's a pity, but I won't get upset about it, what's the point of me giving a **bleep** when Neither Starlink or netgear do, past making a sale and getting your money that is.

My, you are a touchy soul. You certainly know how to deter anyone from trying to help you.

There are thousands of Internet service providers out there, all of them with their own ways or running a network. The number of users of satellite Internet are tiny. Very few of them turn up here, although I told you where to look for messages that might include useful details for you.

If you have just bought this Netgear device, you can contact them directly. A new router comes with 90 days of free support that is there to get you through the set up process.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue to talk about technical issues, with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7