× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX70 and IP cameras

jkimbro
Tutor

RAX70 and IP cameras

Hey all,,, I just got a Nighthawk AX8 AX6600, (RAX70) and I'm having an issue with my IP cameras disconnecting. They usually connect again after a few minutes but then will disconnect again.  These are both wifi cameras and ethernet cameras.  Are there any settings that make IP cameras work better on the Nighthawk?  Or any suggestions?  I really would rather not have to go back to my old router.  Thank you!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Are they 2.4ghz camera's?

Have you tried changing which channel the router is on? 

Message 2 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

I actually have changed channels for other reasons but issue is on cams that are both wifi and ethernet so it won't be an RF interference issue

Message 3 of 16
CarstenNL
Aspirant

Try setting the band used for long distance Preamble-modus from Auto to Long preamble.

It made mine stable
Message 4 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

I'll give that a try,,, thanks

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

what camera's are you using? 

Do they have a hub? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

How do you have everything wired if even the wired camera's are dropping? 

(everything back to the nvr hub? through a switch? through the router?)

Message 6 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

what camera's are you using?  Various REOLINK cams

Do they have a hub? No,, no hub.  IP cams

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? The RAX 70 router is connected to a Netgear DNGD4000 modem/router, (my old router)

How do you have everything wired if even the wired camera's are dropping? Not sure what you mean? Some of the cams are POE so obviously connected to a POE switch,, the others are IP WIFI cams

(everything back to the nvr hub? through a switch? through the router?) No NVR hub.  The NVR connects directly to a switch wich connects to the router

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

Maybe you mean the DGND4000?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DGND4000.aspx

Its a modem/router combo device. Is its routers features disabled? or the RAX in access point mode? 

otherwise you're in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the RAX's IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the RAX. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the RAX into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 8 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

Yep,, you're right,,,I got dyslexic for a minute. (and thanks for the response)

So I originally had the old router set to modem only and it was doing the same thing. Since posting I've discovered it's not just the cameras dropping it's pretty much everything,, again, wifi AND etherent. I called in to Netgear support and they told me to set it to router/modem. To be able to troubleshoot.  Could be ISP, DGND4000 or RAX70 or some combination of the two or three!  I didn't think about the double NAT thing but like I said, it did it whil in modem mode as well. ISP would be a big coincidence but possible.    I'm to the point where I would like to hire someone to come out and just do it,, make it work! Who does that?  I'm wondering who I would search for locally to do something like that. "Geek Squad" or something? 

Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

Easy way to check is to keep it simple. Start with just using the DGND4000 and see if stuff stays stable/working. 

If it does, then bring the RAX back into the mix but set it up in access point mode (the RAX)

Message 10 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

That's where I'm at right now.  Reverting back to how everything was originally. The pic below is with the RAX70 in the mix.  Right now I took it out and everything going to it is now plugged into the DGND4000. And fyi,,, the "kitchen router and the lil barn router are both in AP mode.  Once I get everything back to the way it was and stabalized,,, you're saying I should put the RAX70 back in and put it in AP mode?  Wondering why AP mode?  What do I lose with that?  And would it be hooked up the same way as in the pic? Home Network layout.jpg

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

Some features get disabled in ap mode but the dgnd4000 should still be using them. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

I'd try access point mode to keep it simple. If you're use the dgnd4000 and everything is working, then you know it works fine. If you put the RAX in access point mode and everything stays working as it should, then its a good sign. You can always get more complex but simple tends to stay stable. 

Message 12 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

I'll definitely try it,, just need some more info. (please).

turn off wifi on the DGND4000? Or both are ok,,(different SSIDs of course)

and wiring?  Just one cable to the RAX70? ,(from the DGND4000), or take the three out of the DGND4000 and put them in the RAX70? 

I guess I just don't know what I'm getting with the RAX70 in AP mode.  I'll look at the link you sent too

Message 13 of 16
plemans
Guru

@jkimbro wrote:

I'll definitely try it,, just need some more info. (please).

turn off wifi on the DGND4000? Or both are ok,,(different SSIDs of course)---You can do it eitherway. You can leave the wifi on the dgnd and just use it as backup for to offload some IoT devices. 

and wiring?  Just one cable to the RAX70? ,(from the DGND4000), or take the three out of the DGND4000 and put them in the RAX70? ---either would work. the wire from the dgnd to the RAX would plug into the wan port on the back of the RAX when its in AP mode. 

I guess I just don't know what I'm getting with the RAX70 in AP mode.  I'll look at the link you sent too

Message 14 of 16
jkimbro
Tutor

Just when you thought you were done with me!  haha,, This is off top[ic but you seem like you might know the answer.

The difference between an AP and an extender.   I thought the difference was basically an extender is wireless and an AP is wired.

So do you know what the difference between a Nighthawk 8-Stream Universal WiFi 6 Mesh Extender AX6000 (EAX80) and an Essentials WiFi 6 AX3200 Dual Band Access Point (WAX206) is?  I was told by Netgear that I could hook up the extender via ethernet.  Wouldn't that make it an AP?  Thanks for hanging!

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

Most (not all) extenders have an access point mode. The EAX80 does. 

Its just how they're designed to run from the factory. Many have other modes you can use. 

Even the standard routers have an access point mode 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7