× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Drops connection outside of room router is in

sepherian
Aspirant

RAX80 Drops connection outside of room router is in

Whenever I get a little bit away from the router, the next room over or on the other side of my tiny apartment, my phone (Galaxy S10+)  or my girlfriends phone (iPhone 6s) drops connection. It does that thing where it stays connected to wifi, but says that internet is unavailable. This usually happens when streaming content or other mid to heavy usage. Ive tried seperating out the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz SSIDs, disabling AX, and changing channels to no avail. Anyone have any ideas on how else I can fix this? Hoping its not just a defective router.

Running the latest firmware.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've had similar problems. Disabling Implicit Beamforming/MU-MIMO/Smart Connect/AX and manually selecting channels that weren't occupied seems to have solved the issue for me. At least for the past few days. But then I wonder what was even the point of spending so much on the router if I can't have any of those options. Hopefully we get a firmware update that fixes these issues soon.

Message 2 of 6
digitsnbits
Apprentice

My advice is to return it as soon as possible. This router has been out for months with no fixes at all for known issues that Netgear obviously knows about but is either incapable of fixing or they don't care. My RAX80 is sitting in its box, too many issues to deal with and I can't return it.

That being said I have a TP-Link AX3000 router that works really well, has all the AX features enabled and costs a big $129. There are companies who back up what they claim, unfortunately Netgear isn't  one of them.

Message 3 of 6
GabboCH
Apprentice

Completely agree with Digibits, get rid of it while you still can.

I have all the same issues (check out the other RAX80 or RAX120 threads at the top of the community)

Still not acceptance that there is an issue from Netear & therefore no sign of a fix in sight.....

Message 4 of 6
sepherian
Aspirant

Called support last week to hopefully get it refunded or something. The Nighthawk center didn't pick up and hasn't replied to my emails. I was thinking of just asking for another Netgear router instead of a refund but now I'm gonna get a TP Link or one of those mesh network set ups.

Not buying Netgear again for sure.
Message 5 of 6
GabboCH
Apprentice

In another thread theres a user who bought a TP-link Wifi6 router due to the issues with the RAX80.

It was only $129 in the US (which seems very cheap for Wifi6) but he seemed to think everything is working very well.

However, it seems there are similar problems in the Orbi Wifi6 community threads & similar comments in the Asus forums for their AI mesh routers (although I havent checked these myself) so it seems similar problems are present for other manufacturers too.

I am going to switch back to a Wifi5 system as the extender which I using now in place of the RAX80 cost on €89 and is stable, reliable & relatively fast (its TriBand).

I don't have any AX enabled devices so for the moment this most of the benefits from Wifi6 wouldnt affect me anyway & I could buy 4 of the EX8000 extenders I am using now for the price I paid for the RAX80.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7