× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23 needs work!

JJsalsa
Guide

Dear Michael,

Your suggestions to start a new thread or ask specific questions are good, but beating up on people that are very frustrated with this product is not any more productive than what you complain about the complainers doing! The guy buys a brand new router and immediately has disconnect problems that are well documented elsewhere in the forum too. So, is he crazy? Or does he have a valid complaing.

It is no secret that forums often contain content from people complaining who do not understand how to use the equipment they criticize.  But it is their right to  post as much as anyone elses.

In my opinion, the RAX80 potentially has both hardware and firmware issues. I have complained a lot on this thread because I came from using a perfectly functional R8500, setting up the RAX80 as close as possible to that, and it is utterly unstable. I have 30 years experience using computers and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering. I really don't believe it is my fault that the RAX behaves this way. Add to that Netgear telling me to get lost because I bought it from a private individual (in original box, shrink wrap). That adds up to a lot of frustration. I've tried four different firmware releases and none of them even approach stable operation, even with minor improvements. My setup is not exotic. The biggest mystery to me is what other purchasers are experiencing. I see many reviews of the item on retail outlets. So, are the people on this thread working with defective units? Or are others just lucky that they use "as-is" out of the box with no issues? 

Beats me.  But Netgear is the one that complaints should be directed towards, not other posters...

J

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 101 of 109

I had been using the .40 firmware for about a month with little to no issues and now all of sudden its disconnecting wifi devices daily and every few hours disconnects and immediately reconnects hardwired devices....this is one crappy router if only my return period hadnt expired....
Message 102 of 109
SereneStorm
Aspirant

So far, the RAX80 is concidered a faulty product. Hasn't kept its advertised performance.
Message 103 of 109

Would def agree. I just wish i had known before i sold my ad7200. Id much rather go back to that one or a xr700
Message 104 of 109
myersw
Master

@Chris11271984 wrote:
Would def agree. I just wish i had known before i sold my ad7200. Id much rather go back to that one or a xr700

Or maybe a different vendor? 

IMHO, Netgear is not the vendor to buy right now do to ongoing firmware issues.

Message 105 of 109

I know others did but when i had my ad7200 it worked flawlessly and i especially liked it for the plex integration
Message 106 of 109
StaticLNX
Star

I went back to my DDWRT R9000 and I'm using my RAX80 as an access point

Message 107 of 109
rob114
Aspirant

I just upgraded to the latest software and 5 days later still up and i did not change anything ????????
Message 108 of 109
Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

Boxed mine up and sent it back after three straight weeks if it randomly dropping my devices.

Bummer because I wanted to be on the bleeding edge, just not bleeding out!
Message 109 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7