× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Incorrectly Reports Connection Type

Dgbarar1
Tutor

RAX80 Incorrectly Reports Connection Type

Hello All:

I am in the process of setting up a new RAX80.  I have noticied the network map incorrectly reports the connection type.  Items that I know are WIFI (iPhone) are reported as wired.  While items that I know are wired are reported as being on the 5 GHz band.

The router also seems to be very slow in updating the network map.  For example, it I disconnect a wired connections it may take several minutes to report disconnection.  And, in some instances it begins to report the connected device as being connected to 5 GHz band.

Even selecting refresh does not help.

Anyone know what is going on?

Don Barar

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

Re: RAX80 Incorrectly Reports Connection Type

One more thing.  I am in the latest firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23.  Updated this at installation.

Don Barar

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Dgbarar1 - Thanks for your post. Would you mind letting us know if you're viewing the network map through the Nighthawk app or web browser?

~Christian 

Message 3 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R with all due respect, this is unique a Netgear Nighthawk "feature"* - not a problem specific to the RAX80.

*bug!

Message 4 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

Hi Christian:

I have tried the iOS app and that accurately reports connections. However, the web browser does not work well. It is 1) slow to populate and 2) when it does populate many of the connection types are wrong.

Don Barar
Message 5 of 15
schumaku
Guru

As I said - very similar ... all over!

Message 6 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dgbarar1 - Thanks for getting back. I'll report this to engineering for further investigation.

~Christian 

Message 7 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dgbarar1 - There is a new firmware available as of today. Please update to the latest firmware and let me know if your issue persists: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060970/RAX80-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-58

~Christian 

Message 8 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

Hi Christian:

I have updated the firmware.  The iOS app correctly reports all 13 connections.  The web interface home page reports there are 13 connections as well.  However, when I look to see which devices are connected only eight items show up in the network map.  The eight items reported are properly displayed with their connections--this is good.  But there are 5 devices not showing up.  While the new firmware represent an improvement, the network map is still slow to populate.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar

Message 9 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

Christian:

One more thing.  Selecting refresh does not increase the number of devices reporting in the network map.

Don

Message 10 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dgbarar1 - Thanks for your prompt response! Would you mind sending me a message with a screenshot of the error. Please remember to black out any personal information. 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

Hi Christian:

Attached as a single PDF is RAX80 Web Application Home Screen, Web Application Network Map and the iOS Network Map.  I have "whited out" my SSID, password and MAC ID.  As you can see, the web applicaiton home screen show 10 devices are connected and the web application network map show 4 devices conneted.  The iOS applicaition show 11 devices connected.

Let me know what you find out.

Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Now you know that this is a Netgear router, for sure. Looks soooooo familiar.

Is this with QoS enabled or disabled?

Message 13 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

QoS is not enabled.

Message 14 of 15
Dgbarar1
Tutor

Hi Christian,

You can stop reviewing my issues with the RAX80 as I have decided to return it to the retailer.  Why did I take this action:

1. Slow to build network map and incomplete network map.  I could never tell with any accuracy what device were conected.
  2. Today I had to a needed to give my server a static IP address.  However, when I selected LAN it took several attempts and a very long time to get that page to load.  Then when the page finally loaded and entered the device IP Address and MAC ID I was unable to get the firmware to add the device as a static IP.

None of this should be that difficult.  My final assessment was either the RAX80 was defective or the firmware is just not ready at this June 02, 2019.  This is unfortunate becuase I really liked the format of the device with its non-floppy antennas.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Don Barar 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7