× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 New Firmware Out Today

steviev1
Apprentice

RAX80 New Firmware Out Today

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports the ISP profile menu, which includes ISPs from Europe and Asia
  • Supports Orange France IPTV
  • Supports Singapore Singtel IPTV
  • Supports the time zone auto detection feature

Bug Fixes:

• Improves the stability of NETGEAR Armor
  • Fixes the issue where the router is unable to access the USB device using the ReadyCLOUD portal
  • Fixes the issue where the Nighthawk app does not display devices in attached device list
  • Fixes some minor issues in the router web interface

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26
avtella
Prodigy

That's for RAX120.

Heres the one for the RAX80:

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the time zone can’t be set up manually.
  • Fixes issues with IPTV.
  • Fixes the issue where some devices can’t be renamed in the attached devices list.
  • Fixes the issue where port 1 and port 5 can’t be added to the VLAN bridge group.
  • Fixes minor bugs

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX80/RAX80-V1.0.3.102_1.0.48.zip

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX80.aspx#docs.

Message 2 of 26
steviev1
Apprentice

You are correct.

Thank You

Message 3 of 26
jcax
Star

I took a chance and tried this upgrade to 102 on my RAX80. Successfully applied it after a bit of trouble.

Note that last week I had applied the "beta" 99 build from Netgear support that seemed to fix the NTP/log issue.

When I attempted to install this 102 build on top of the 99 it failed with not successful updating language table errors. Several times. Tried after a reboot with no success. I did a factory reset successfully. This then triggered the update to 102 as part of the initialization process. Update was successful.

As suggested in some other posts, rather than restore settings from a backup file, I have now gone through and re-entered my configuration changes to the "baseline" 102.

So far, all appears well with NTP/log error still fixed, and IPv6 seems to be working.

However, the display of attached devices still seems to have some issues like duplicate IPs, wrong type of connection, device not shown. This has been an annoyance in previous build(s), and seems to me to still have some troubles.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 26
daweidu
Star

nice

Message 5 of 26
daweidu
Star

my god my god my god. it is gone.

Message 6 of 26
steviev1
Apprentice

Who knows....
The Netgear app said it was available and I already updated. I wish they would get this straightened out.
Message 7 of 26
ToWn3r
Initiate

Any idea if this helps w/ some of the issues related to having AX and Smart Connect enabled causing devices to disconnect and drop when connected via 2.4 GHz?

Message 8 of 26
steviev1
Apprentice

Can't say for sure one that. However, I can say that I have been running it all day with 40 devices attached and it has been rock solid. I guess we will see if they release another one soon.
Message 9 of 26
steviev1
Apprentice

It is back on the site now
Message 10 of 26
mikechw
Initiate

I installed it today and it seems more stable than last 98 firmware..

Firmware 98 always stopping dishing out ip addresses after one day or 2..

My wifi devices will stop working after that, I had to reboot the router every one or two days.

I suspect I am getting DOS attack from the WAN port once in awhile and the router firmware hanged..

Message 11 of 26

@mikechw wrote:

I suspect I am getting DOS attack from the WAN port once in awhile and the router firmware hanged..

That can happen. If the logs show a lot of action on that front, the router's processor can gag on the traffic. It seems that QoS and traffic metering can do the same thing. Indeed, according to reports here, so can anything that asks the processor to expend any effort.

To test your theory, you can disable logging. It doesn't remove the protection.

Message 12 of 26

Had this router setup on older firmware for many months now.  Only occational reboots.  Like one every other month.  Which from previous routers and from different brands.  Is not too much to ask for.  However, it is on an older firmware and more importantly only functioning as an AP.  I don't use this as my only router.  I've been using an older Netgear router as the router (no wifi), and this as an AP because it has been so bad functioning as my primary.  Even updating firmwares (in the past) have been avoided since it works with the build I have.  

Can anyone confirm that it is stable with this firmware?  Has anything improved in the previous firmware that would let me have some faith this will not brick the unit and I'll have to factory reset yet again and back to my older firmware?  

Issues included (everyone knows), WiFi drop outs, router hangups.  Instability past a day. 

Thanks.  

Message 13 of 26
steviev1
Apprentice

My experience with this has been good.
Definitely worth a try.
Message 14 of 26
bdschwar
Guide

Just saw this topic here - in my eyes this is not worth a try! It took me me more than two hours to test and finally roll back...

RAX80 FW-Update 1.0.3.102 caused complete reset of router and outage

Dears,

I'm really upset: Having had issues with the buggy 1.0.3.98 version I updated today to the most recent version (1.0.3.102 by 4th September), and this rubbish completely resetted my router with all questions to be answered from the very beginning and without any connect possible (even restored the former settings) to init7, the most powerful Swiss provider.
I'm now back to 1.0.3.88 with all functions working again and definitely disabling auto-update functionality.
When will you release a proper actual version with an accurate description of side-effects within the release notes or are you @netgear 

not interested in working professionally?

Regards
Bernd

Message 15 of 26
mikechw
Initiate

The 88 firmware definitely more stable..

98 is so buggy that I had to roll back.

Trying out the latest one, and it seems stable so far..

It has been running for 2 days now, without rebooting..

Message 16 of 26
AliAmer
Aspirant

Today the version was RAX80-V1.0.3.88_1.0.41. This version gave me a lot problems when I changed the operation mode to AP. The problem was 5GHz disapeared. Then, I have upgraded to RAX80-V1.0.3.98_1.0.46 and immediately to RAX80-V1.0.3.102_1.0.48.

Another same model Router with version RAX80-V1.0.3.88_1.0.41 unable to access it using the IP Address. Connection is fine and the Internet is working. While the 2.4 Ghz connected without any problem by asking the wireless password for a new Apple Mac laptop , the 5GHz didn't even ask me to enter the password.

I wonder how many problems exist that we have to tested yet.

Message 17 of 26
Remi2
Aspirant

I have tried installing the new firmware today 3 times. It never worked. It looks like it is trying to download the firmware but nothing happens. I have to restart my router each time I try to be able to access the settings via the application.
Message 18 of 26

@Remi2 wrote:
I have tried installing the new firmware today 3 times. It never worked. It looks like it is trying to download the firmware but nothing happens. I have to restart my router each time I try to be able to access the settings via the application.

How? It sounds like you may be using the browser graphical user interface and the built-in update process.

This is the best approach:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This is best done with a wired connection to the router. Then things cant fail if the wifi dies as a part of the process.

Message 19 of 26
hwyman11
Aspirant

Updated today and I am unble to connect to the 2.4ghz. wifi. I had to roll back to  RAX80-V1.0.2.76_1.0.35 and I was able to connect to the 2.4ghz. wifi. Netgear, why can't you get this issue fixed?

Message 20 of 26
ToWn3r
Initiate

Is the Attached Devices Internet Download/Upload Speed by Device displaying anything since updating for anyone else?

Otherwise i'm pleased to say that I've been able to have both AX and Smart Connect enabled and 2.4GHz devices are connecting just fine. 🙂 

Message 21 of 26
Remi2
Aspirant

I was having this problem using the iphone app. I went through the web interface and the update worked. thank you for your reply
Message 22 of 26
TheInterWeb
Guide

Some improvements..  Generally OK.  But still has NTP problems (GMT+9.5 not resolving) and issues in the >> Security > Access Control sections. Appears to be many holes in the Test Scripts for this Model, many "untested scenarios" making it into Production Releases.

Message 23 of 26

there is another thread that solves this issue.

Basically, you have to do a factory reset.  You can do this before or after you update the firmware.  

If you do it aftwards.  Don't restore any backup configs.  I know, this "sucks" but whatelse is new with these routers.  

Basically, anything you want to do to update this things firmware.  Or solve some strange problem.  Do a factory reset, update the firmware manually, and then reconfigure your settings, manually.  

I had the same timezone issue.  I did a factory reset after updating to the lastest firmware.  And then reconfigured.  My settings for my time zone are now correct.  

I only just did this a few hours ago.  after having the same firmware for about a year now.  So, I don't know how stable this one is, or if I'll have to revert.  But, so far so good.  

Message 24 of 26

Also, forgot to mention I'm on the V1.0.3.102_1.0.48 Firmware.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7