× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Router with Nighthawk Mesh

jcc_reg
Initiate

RAX80 Router with Nighthawk Mesh

I am currently using a RAX80 router. Unfortunately, there are a couple of areas in my home where the router frequently drops the WiFi connection. I'd like to add a MK62 mesh system to extend the wireless network rather than replace it.

I have previously setup a MK63 mesh network on a FiOS router. In that situation, I disabled the wireless network on the FiOS router. The MK63 system is providing the only wireless network in that house.

How would I set up a system where the MK62 units work with RAX80 router?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 Router with Nighthawk Mesh

The RAX80 isn't a mesh device so won't function as integrated with the mesh system. 

but you can go 

modem--->RAX80----->mk system (in access point mode)

just give the rax80 a different ssid and use different wireless channels to prevent interference. 

then you can have the close devices on the rax and the devices that need range on the MK system. 

Message 2 of 3
jcc_reg
Initiate

Re: RAX80 Router with Nighthawk Mesh

Thank you for the guidance. I have commandeered my father's MK63 equipment and am testing it now. Essentially, I have two wireless networks operating in the same space. Not quite what I wanted, but close enough.

The channel settings on the RAX80 are:  Auto @2.4GHz and 44 @5Ghz.

The channels used for the MR60 are:   Auto @2.4GHz and 153 @5Ghz.

I am not observing any conflicts. The MR60 network is very fast, and, thus far, reliable. But the RAX80 wireless remains temperamental. I had expected better performance from the (expensive) RAX80. Skimming through the discussions in this community, I see that others are having similar issues. I'll do some reading and see if the RAX80 performance can be improved before permanently adding the mesh system.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7