× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 & EAX80 reach

Mikael_Hirsch
Initiate

RAX80 & EAX80 reach

Hi NetGear Community

I have a need to get wifi coverage in my shed, located some 25 m from my house.  I recently upgraded my router to a Nighthawk RAX80 in the house (double brick wall and steel roof) as well as installed a Nighthawk Extender EAX80 under the roof in the shed (made of steel). The purpose was to have a seamless mesh connection when moving between the shed and the house.

Now, the 2.4 GHz connects fine but not the 5 GHz and the router link LED on the extender shows amber, indicating a week connection.  I am unable to locate the router or the extender closer together so that the 5 GHz band would work satisfactorily.  Will another similar extender somewhere in the middle solve the problem; i.e. can a mesh extender reach the primary wifi router via another extender? Or is there another, more reliable option available?

I'm not sure if a powerline wifi extender will work as we have a Tesla solar battery installed that already talks to my power supplier over the powerlines.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 & EAX80 reach

The issue is the brick and the metal. They are literally the 2 best blockers of wifi. 

2.4ghz broadcasts further and through more materials which is probably why it connects. Which frankly I'm impressed by. Usually brick/metal are good enough that signal is pretty much worthless on the other side of it. 

The powerline might be an option.

Or a MoCa adapter if you have coax ran out there. 

Or you could just run an ethernet wire from home----garage and connect the eax80 to it. 

Message 2 of 4
Mikael_Hirsch
Initiate

I'm fully aware of the steel and brick constraints and I can't run wires to connect the extender in the shed; hence my question of whether another extender somewhere in the middle might allow the one in the shed to reach the 5 gHz range.

@plemans wrote:

The issue is the brick and the metal. They are literally the 2 best blockers of wifi. 

2.4ghz broadcasts further and through more materials which is probably why it connects. Which frankly I'm impressed by. Usually brick/metal are good enough that signal is pretty much worthless on the other side of it. 

The powerline might be an option.

Or a MoCa adapter if you have coax ran out there. 

Or you could just run an ethernet wire from home----garage and connect the eax80 to it. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

It might help, it might not. Tough to say 100%. Like I said, usually brick and metal combine to make signal unusable. So will adding one in the middle help? maybe. 

Or you coud go with a set of point to point adapters (see netgear airbridge). 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7