× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 cutting speed by half after adding a CAX30

JonesT
Aspirant

RAX80 cutting speed by half after adding a CAX30

Hello community,

recently I have added a CAX30 cable router so i could send internet to all the rooms in the house. Before that, i use to have a cable modem that was not able to automatically switch, so the only internet output was feeding my rax80, I was normally seeing speeds of 400mbps when testing at the modem, however after adding the CAX30, the RAX 80 is only delivering ~200Mbps, while the CAX 30 is still seeing the 400 Mbps when testing at the modem. All of this speeds are wired, I have in fact deactivated the wireless network on the CAX30 to avoid any sort of interference.

I have been trying to troubleshoot with some recommendations i found here:

- I have restarted the RAX80 multiple times

- I have activated/deactivated the QOS

- I did a factory reset on the RAX80

and thus far, nothing is solving the issue, is there any other configuration I should be changing so the RAX80 does not cut the speed in half?

hopefully there is some recommendation out there!

thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: RAX80 cutting speed by half after adding a CAX30

@JonesT wrote:

As per your recommendation I left the CAX30 in gateway mode and change the RAX80 to AP mode, unfortunately I lost internet connection from the RAX80, I joined again the network and re-introduced passwords but it was saying connected without internet. I did a reset to the CAX30 and the RAX 80 did not recover internet again (like none of my devices could connect to that network). In the nighthawk app I was able to see both devices, the RAX80 with limited options (as suggested when moved to AP mode) and I was able to do a device internet test that came back even lower ~100Mbps. But still neither my phone or computer had internet access. I followed the netgear documentation to the process so I am not sure if I am missing anything?

To regain internet access to all my devices, I had to do a factory reset on the RAX80 and its back to normal again

With the CAX30 in gateway mode and nothing connected to the Ethernet ports, after booting does the internet indicator illuminate?  If not, that has to be resolved first.

Is the RAX80 in router mode or access point mode?  What do you mean by normal?

When you make and save changes to these devices, you have to power them down (pull the power cord) wait a minute and then start up your network in sequence.  Generally from the outside in and allow plenty of time for each device to boot and stabilize before starting the next.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CAX30 already has a built in router and wifi. If you add the RAX80, you might put the CAX30 in modem only mode and try again.

Message 2 of 13
JonesT
Aspirant

Thanks a lot @FURRYe38, the CAX30 is located in a centralized position while the RAX80 I have it in the living room and thats where I connect some of my devices for faster speeds (not Wifi). What i did is I turned off the wireless option on the CAX30, is there anything else I have to do in the setup page to put it as a modem only? I have to highlight that the CAX 30 is seeing the 400 Mbps at the modem and its at the RAX80 that its being cut by half.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Can either set the CAX30 to modem mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only

Or leave the CAX in router mode, disable it's wifi radios and set the RAX to AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 4 of 13
Kitsap
Master

There are a couple of layout/configuration questions you need to answer before you decide on the modes of operation.  These are dependent on how far apart physically the CAX30 and RAX80 are located.

How far apart will the two devices be located?

Do you want Wi-Fi signals to transmit from both devices?

Do you want the Ethernet ports to be active on both devices?

If the CAX30 is configured in modem only mode, there will be no W-Fi transmitted from the device and the only Ethernet port that will be active is the one you use to connect to your RAX80.

If the CAX30 is configured in gateway mode, it will have Wi-Fi and the Ethernet ports will be active.  This uses your CAX30 as the router for your network. 

With the CAX30 in gateway mode, your RAX80 should be configured in Access Point mode.  The RAX80 will transmit Wi-Fi and the Ethernet ports will be active.  However, some of the functions of your RAX80 will be disabled.  See here:  https://kb.netgear.com/000061927/What-is-the-difference-between-router-mode-and-AP-mode

Be sure and review the links at the bottom of the article for more details.

Message 5 of 13
JonesT
Aspirant

Thanks a lot @Kitsap some of those questions I had, please see my responses below with additional feedback.

- How far apart will the two devices be located? those are ~15 ft away from each other. My previous setup was having a cable modem that fed directly my RAX80, however this was limiting the wired service to all my other locations. The CAX30 was the addition to my setup as it would work as a router. The CAX30 is located in a central location where all the cables run to all the rooms in the house. What I am doing right now is connecting one of the CAX30 LAN ports to a switch and from the switch to all other rooms and a second CAX LAN port to the RAX80.

Do you want Wi-Fi signals to transmit from both devices? not necessarily, as the CAX30 is the new addition, all my devices are WiFi connected to the RAX80. If I change that, I will have to setup all the devices to the CAX30 (just being lazy here)

Do you want the Ethernet ports to be active on both devices? Yes, as I said, i need the LAN ports in the CAX30 to feed a switch and pass internet to all my rooms as well as the ports in the RAX80 to feed my wired devices in the living room

Hopefully this helps to clarify what I am trying to do, from your great explanation below, I see that modem mode in the CAX30 is not really an option for me. The question I have is, if I setup the RAX80 in AP mode and lose some of the functions, would those still be available in the CAX30?

Message 6 of 13
Kitsap
Master

Very good.  The picture is much clearer now.  In particular your switch and Ethernet routing.

Configure your CAX30 as a gateway.  Configure the CAX30 Wi-Fi (SSID and passwords) before you manually turn off the radios with the external button.  This way if you need independent Wi-Fi in a hurry for some reason, press one button and you have it.

Configure your RAX80 as an access point.  The features that are no longer functional at the RAX80 are part of the routing function that is disabled and are being handled by the router in the CAX30.  The features should all be available in the CAX30. 

With the RAX80 configured as an access point, your Ethernet throughput capacity should be the same as you have at the CAX30.

Message 7 of 13
JonesT
Aspirant

As per your recommendation I left the CAX30 in gateway mode and change the RAX80 to AP mode, unfortunately I lost internet connection from the RAX80, I joined again the network and re-introduced passwords but it was saying connected without internet. I did a reset to the CAX30 and the RAX 80 did not recover internet again (like none of my devices could connect to that network). In the nighthawk app I was able to see both devices, the RAX80 with limited options (as suggested when moved to AP mode) and I was able to do a device internet test that came back even lower ~100Mbps. But still neither my phone or computer had internet access. I followed the netgear documentation to the process so I am not sure if I am missing anything?

To regain internet access to all my devices, I had to do a factory reset on the RAX80 and its back to normal again

Message 8 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@JonesT wrote:

With the CAX30 in gateway mode and nothing connected to the Ethernet ports, after booting does the internet indicator illuminate?  If not, that has to be resolved first.

Is the RAX80 in router mode or access point mode?  What do you mean by normal?

When you make and save changes to these devices, you have to power them down (pull the power cord) wait a minute and then start up your network in sequence.  Generally from the outside in and allow plenty of time for each device to boot and stabilize before starting the next.

Message 9 of 13
JonesT
Aspirant

Hello @Kitsap, it took me a while but I finally was able to resolve the issue. as per your last recommendation I basically did a reset to both devices and do all the configuration again in sequence from the outside and allowing time for each device to boot and stabilize before starting the next.

After doing that both systems were working normally and I was seeing full speed over 400 Mbps on the RAX80 without having to put it in access point mode. I guess it was not correctly setup the first time.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Message 10 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@JonesT wrote:

Hello @Kitsap, it took me a while but I finally was able to resolve the issue. as per your last recommendation I basically did a reset to both devices and do all the configuration again in sequence from the outside and allowing time for each device to boot and stabilize before starting the next.

After doing that both systems were working normally and I was seeing full speed over 400 Mbps on the RAX80 without having to put it in access point mode. I guess it was not correctly setup the first time.

You are more than welcome.  Glad you got it working satisfactory. 

😊

Message 11 of 13

@JonesT wrote:

After doing that both systems were working normally and I was seeing full speed over 400 Mbps on the RAX80 without having to put it in access point mode.

Be prepared for trouble somewhere else. With two routers there, you never know what might turn up and bite you.

So for future reference, remember that you did this.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@JonesT wrote:

Hello, it took me a while but I finally was able to resolve the issue. as per your last recommendation I basically did a reset to both devices and do all the configuration again in sequence from the outside and allowing time for each device to boot and stabilize before starting the next.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7