× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN

jestiferhenri
Follower

RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN

Hello,

Haven't checked back in this thread in a long time. After I did my workaround of putting a switch in front of the router I had serious disconnects. I stopped upgrading the firmware on the router as I was worried it would cause the issue to reoccur somehow. (if it ain't broke don't fix it) Please help.

Regards 

Jestifer

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: RAX80 randomly disconnects LAN

@jestiferhenri wrote:

Hello,

Haven't checked back in this thread in a long time. After I did my workaround of putting a switch in front of the router I had serious disconnects. I stopped upgrading the firmware on the router as I was worried it would cause the issue to reoccur somehow. (if it ain't broke don't fix it) Please help.

Regards 

Jestifer

Please help with what?  A full description of your problem and configuration would be useful.  Disconnects with devices connected via Ethernet?  Via Wi-Fi?

In particular, what is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that is connected upstream of your RAX80?

What firmware version is on your RAX80?  The "latest" is not an answer.  A version number helps with confirmation.

Message 2 of 4

@jestiferhenri wrote:

I stopped upgrading the firmware on the router as I was worried it would cause the issue to reoccur somehow.

You do realise that you can roll back to earlier firmware if an update causes grief.?

if it ain't broke don't fix it)

That is not a good idea. By not updating you may miss an update that mends the problem that first hit you. (That's what firmware updates are for.)

More important for some people, you leave yourself open to security issues that firmware also plugs as well as other bugs that you may not have noticed.

Message 3 of 4
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

I don't care what anyone says, this is a known problem and has been a known problem for a long time. I have tried all the firmware since COVID started, and none of them fixed the problem. Before someone asks, yes, I do a factory reset and reenter setting from scratch after each firmware update. I suspect this is a hardware issue since Netgear has been unable (or willing) to fix it.

I have had to do the same thing you did, put a wired router between my modem and RAX80. I am not sure if I would ever buy another Router from Netgear given how much this thing cost, and the lack of support for a real and serious problem. 

For a while, there was someone posting about getting beta firmware which stopped the lan drops but slowed down his speed. Nothing seemed to come of it. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7