× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 unable to detect internet (overseas)

Dotdodd
Aspirant

RAX80 unable to detect internet (overseas)

Hello, I'm currently working overseas and I'm having trouble getting my RAX80 to connect. When I was in Spain it was simple to just plug the router directly to the modem via the internet port and I was fine. Now I am in Honduras and my ISP doesn't have a modem, it's a simple direct ethernet connection from the wall to the router. The one they provided is a simple TP-Link WR841N. It was connected directly to the wall via Ethernet. I tried the same with my RAX80 and it cannot detect an internet connection.

I reset the TP link router to default settings and it still connected no problem. I went through the settings and there's no PPPoE restrictions and everything is automatic/dynamic. I did the same for my RAX80 and it still will not detect the connection.

I tried 3 different Ethernet cables (cat7) all of which I know work.
I've power cycled the router. Factory reset. And used two separate power supply's both plugged directly to the wall.
My RAX80 was bought in the US but I've used in both Spain and US.
The current region is locked to North America and was also NA when I lived in Spain, could this be something that needs to be changed in order for it to work?
Firmware is v1.0.4.120_1.0.61

Any help appreciated. I'm usually pretty well versed in this kind of thing but I cannot seem to figure this particular problem out considering there's no "middle man". Just a direct Ethernet connection from the wall to my router. But my router cannot detect the internet.
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

What happens if you use the tplink as the router (disable its wifi) and connect the RAX to it with the RAX in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 4
Dotdodd
Aspirant

I don't have my RAX in AP mode, but this is what I'm currently doing. I turned off the WiFi broadcast of the TP link and plugged the internet port of the RAX into port 1 of the TP link. It seems I'm getting full speeds, but I had an issue with my PS5 not connecting before I needed to change the DNS settings
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you're using both devices in router mode, it causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7