× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 vs Orbi RBK53

jfpetesn
Follower

RAX80 vs Orbi RBK53

Looking for some advice.  My 9 yo Asus RT-66u router is showing its age.  Recently started streaming our television and we are now having some DNS and buffering issues.  90% of my network is hard wired wit 50 or so devices total and less than 5 or 6 wireless devices usually including iPhones and iPads, doorbell and one firetv.  Everything else is hardwired (NAS, Firetv's and Music players) so my network is pretty busy.

I know the RAX8 is more than capable os doing the job but I have 3 access points to get coverage in our 4400 sq ft home.  I was thinking that the Orbi would be easier to manage and provide the coverage I need if it has a robust enough router function.  It certainly does not compare to the Orbi for pur router power but is it strong enough to do what we need?  All my network is cat 5e/6.  I have 3 gigabit switches and most of my devices are home runned to the switches.

Do you think the Orbi can handle 4k streaming and occassional large file transfers to our NAS as well as handle the camera traffic?  Not as worried about wireless throughput as we just use it for web browsing mostly.  If we go with the Orbi I can eliminate all my access points and it will be better whole house coverage.

Your Thoughts

Jeff Peterson

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

I've got the orbi setup for wireless coverage as well as an RAX200 for playing with. I have a very similar setup other than your house is a little larger. I've got 2 servers, around 20-30 wired devices, security cameras, lots of wireless devices, 2x 4k tv's, smart doorbell, streamers, etc. the orbi has been rock solid for me. I used to just only run the orbi with 2x satellites and it handled it fine. I added in the RAX to play with for experience in wireless AX and see how the features work to help others. I haven't seen a difference in network performance with the RAX handling routing versus the orbi handling routing.  I don't think you'd be wrong to go with an Orbi setup. 

Message 2 of 3
GabboCH
Apprentice

I would stay away from the RAX devices until all of the firmware issues are resolved.

Read some of the other community posts regarding the problems people are experiencing.

I havent tried the Orbi system but I can say for sure that my unbranded router/modem free from my ISP is 10x better than the RAX80 performance I have now.

Its in the box now waiting for some kind of improvement in the future as I'm unable to return it to the shop.....

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7