× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE290

Wxman38
Guide

RAXE290

When using Firefox browser if https isn't used in the search, the router doesn't seem to pass the request.  Also iTunes software will not connect to the Apple server unless the router is rebooted.  Then after a short period of time working it quits being able to connect to the Apple server.  This is a Windows 11 22H2 operating system. 

In addition, the Windows Update also gives the same problem of not connecting to Microsoft as the iTunes software.  However, this problem has been intermittent.

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Does this happen with other browsers? 

How is the router configured? Any Access Controls, Armor, SPC enabled on the router? 

Message 2 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

Firmware is 1.0.7.62

It is an Alcatel ONT but I don't see a model number just ALCLF3AFDBOB

The cable is a CAT 5e

It also happens with EDGE browser

Have Access controls, but no Armor or SPC.

These same Access Controls were working fine on my old RAX75 router

I did change the DNS servers to OpenDNS

I also rebooted the router and now Windows Update and iTunes are able to reach their servers. 

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So it's working now? 

Message 4 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

Right now it seems to be working.  How long this will last I don't know. 

I also have some problems with an iPhone that doesn't automatically connect to wifi after it is  shutdown.  This iPhone is on the Access Control list as allowed, you just have to manually reconnect it after turning the phone back on.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Does same thing happen if you disable Access Controls? 

Message 6 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

I've never completely turned of Access Controls.  I did select that all devices would be allowed, but that didn't seem to change anything, so I went back to block all new  devices.

Message 7 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

I finally went back and uninstalled all of the Apple software from my PC.  Then I reinstalled it.  Now iTunes seems to be working correctly and not losing its internet connection.

Message 8 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

RAXE290

I continue to have a problem with iTunes not being able to connect with its Apple server.  Also I occasionally have apparently the same problem with Windows Update not being able to connect with the Microsoft server.

Now the one solution that seems to consistently work is to reboot the router.  After the reboot iTunes and Windows Update can make their server connections.  I've never been able to determine if this has something to do with https or if it is some kind of timeout problem.  iTunes will work, but after several hours of inactivity it comes back to the error that it has no internet connection.  For Windows Update this problem seems to take a much longer time for it to occur.

I've set my computer to sleep after 30 minutes.

So I'm not certain is this a router problem or a software problem.

Message 9 of 16
microchip8
Master

Have you done a factory reset of the firmware and configure from scratch manually? If not, try it.

If the problem persists, you can always roll back to a previous firmware that used to work.
Message 10 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

Unfortunately, these problems have persisted ever since I changed my old Netgear  router for the new RAXE290.  So there is no old firmware to rollback to at least as I understand it.  Previous router was an RAX75.

Message 11 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

In addition to iTunes the problem exists with the program Macrium Reflect not being able to reach its server until I reboot the router.

Message 12 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

To add to the mystery, the problem also occurs with the program Macrium Reflect.  So  if I reboot the router both iTunes and Macrium Reflect are then able to contact their servers.

I haven't been able to check this out yet, but it might appear that after the reboot these programs will  continue to work until midnight.  Then they go back to the problem of not being able to contact their respective servers.  I have to wait until tonight to see if that theory is correct.

Message 13 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

Turns out all of my problems were due to Netgear Armor being activated.  I supposedly didn't activate when I set the router up manually.  By chance I looked at the Basic settings on the router and saw that it was enabled.  I had to put the Nighthawk app on my Apple phone.  Using the triple bar in the upper left for the menu and then going to settings and security I found the selection to disable Armor.  Now all is well!  What an aggravation.

Message 14 of 16
Wxman38
Guide

Finally talked to the tiger team at Netgear.  Found out the problem was a setting on the router that controlled the blocking of sites using keywords.  Set that to 'never' and all of the connection problems were solved. 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7