× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 New Firmware 1.0.12.96 released

Killhippie
Prodigy

RAXE500 New Firmware 1.0.12.96 released

BugFixes: 01/02/2023

• Fixes the issue where a configuration through the router web interface causes a port conflict.
  • Fixes the issue where the router web interface shows that the guest WiFi network is active even though you set up a WiFi schedule that specifies that the guest WiFi network must be inactive during that time.
  • Fixes the issue where the router has low throughput when QoS is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where you cannot use the Nighthawk app to pause or restart parental controls for a client if you already blocked the client in the router web interface.
  • Fixes the issue where you might be unable to select certain 5 GHz channels if the country setting is Australia.
  • Fixes the issue where the router can’t send the log via Outlook.
  • Fixes the issue where the router does not send the log if you configure the option to send the log when it is full. 
  • Fixes the issue where all Ethernet LAN ports go down if you change the Internet subnet mask.
  • Fixes the issue where the link aggregation options are masked in the router web interface when the router functions in access point (AP) mode.
  • Fixes the issue where the router web interface shows a warning message when you select port 1 or the Multi-Gig port in VLAN bridge mode.
  • Fixes the issue where admin password protection is not enabled by default for ReadyShare HTTPS (via Internet) and FTP (via Internet).
  • Fixes the issue where access point (AP) mode is not masked in the router web interface when WAN aggregation is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where the router web interface doesn’t show MAC address information on the Attached Devices page when QoS is enabled
  • Fixes the issue where the router web interface displays an incorrect text format.
  • Fixes the issue where the router allows the user name and password for PPPoE to be longer than 63 characters.

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

Known Issues:

• The Nighthawk app and router web interface don’t successfully complete the OOKLA speed test in PPPoE mode, but the speed test does work normally if you run it from the OOKLA web portal or OOKLA app.
  • Clients cannot connect to the 2.4 GHz band if it functions with a 40 MHz channel width.

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/raxe500.aspx#download

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Cooling: Its recommended to install a USB laptop cooler under the router for 24/4 cooling. Helps keep the router cool and helps avoid heat damage to the electronics.

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 48
Topology
Virtuoso

Kudos to NETGEAR for including a list of “known issues” in the firmware release notes – which has not been previously done, from firmware 1.0.0.48 through 1.0.11.94.

P.S.: Publishing such a list was requested on the NETGEAR Idea Exchange in March, 2020 (see here).

Message 2 of 48
perseid
Aspirant

I just updated the firmware and all seems fine, no issues.

Message 3 of 48

Netgear usually publishes up date details when they go beyond "security updates".

Like many software coders, it does not describe security updates for obvious reasons. To keep the criminals in the dark.

Most firmware updates are purely security tweaks. Hence the lack of any details.

Message 4 of 48
Tonkinite
Luminary

I updated my router to this version from the previous version, and so far there have been no issues

Message 5 of 48
Retired_Member
Not applicable

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

I am wondering why this recommendation, as I've also seen it for other models. Any thoughts?

Message 6 of 48
TWilson
Aspirant

After applying this update, the 2.4 GHz band has quit working after a couple of days of operation.  Restarting the router restores the 2.4 GHz functionality for a couple of day. 

The 5 and 6 GHz band are unaffected. 

All of my devices support 5 and or 6GHz bands EXCEPT for my Nest Thermostat and Harmony Elite Remote Hubs(3) which only support 2.4 GHz band (Since I can't move these to other band, I'm forced to restart every couple of days to fix).   

This release log for this Firmware updates lists the following know issues;

• Clients cannot connect to the 2.4 GHz band if it functions with a 40 MHz channel width

I hope a fix for this will be forthcoming soon.  I would very much like Not to have to restart the router every couple days.   

Message 7 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Would be a first post regarding lost of 2.4Ghz radio. Wouldn't think this is a FW issue right of the bat since others haven't posted about it to date. 

@TWilson wrote:

After applying this update, the 2.4 GHz band has quit working after a couple of days of operation.  Restarting the router restores the 2.4 GHz functionality for a couple of day. 

The 5 and 6 GHz band are unaffected. 

All of my devices support 5 and or 6GHz bands EXCEPT for my Nest Thermostat and Harmony Elite Remote Hubs(3) which only support 2.4 GHz band (Since I can't move these to other band, I'm forced to restart every couple of days to fix).   

This release log for this Firmware updates lists the following know issues;

• Clients cannot connect to the 2.4 GHz band if it functions with a 40 MHz channel width

I hope a fix for this will be forthcoming soon.  I would very much like Not to have to restart the router every couple days.   

Message 8 of 48
TWilson
Aspirant

This may be the first report of this that you've seen but according to Netgear's own release notes for Firmware 1.0.12.96 there is a known 2.4 GHz connection issue with it.  The 1.0.12.96 firmware release notes clearly state:

Known Issues:

• The Nighthawk app and router web interface don’t successfully complete the OOKLA speed test in PPPoE mode, but the speed test does work normally if you run it from the OOKLA web portal or OOKLA app.
  • Clients cannot connect to the 2.4 GHz band if it functions with a 40 MHz channel width.

My 2.4GHz band with current settings has been rock solid since I purchased this router in 2021.  This problem appeared within hours of updating to this firmware version and has been re-occurring every few days since after having been restarted to fix. I've reset it to factory defaults and manually reconfigured to no avail.   

I'll roll back to the prior version this coming weekend.

Message 9 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Is 20/40Mhz enabled or set for only 40Mhz on this version of FW? 

👍

Message 10 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, NG is aware of that issue and is working on it. Hopefully see something in next FW update. Please be patient. 

Thank you. 

@TWilson wrote:

This may be the first report of this that you've seen but according to Netgear's own release notes for Firmware 1.0.12.96 there is a known 2.4 GHz connection issue with it.  The 1.0.12.96 firmware release notes clearly state:

Known Issues:

My 2.4GHz band with current settings has been rock solid since I purchased this router in 2021.  This problem appeared within hours of updating to this firmware version and has been re-occurring every few days since after having been restarted to fix. I've reset it to factory defaults and manually reconfigured to no avail.   

I'll roll back to the prior version this coming weekend.

Message 11 of 48
Killhippie
Prodigy

Just turn 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz which unless you live in the middle of a field you wont get any benefit from running at 40Mhz anyway. Also most clients tend to support 20Mhz anyway more so IoT devices, it will just cause increased noise levels, less throughput and more  interference on your own network let alone your neighbours. Considering the amount of bug fixes in this release plus security updates I think dropping back to 20Mhz is perfectly acceptable, last night I watched a 15Gb film to my Sky Q box over 2.4Ghz (wont use 5 or 6Ghz unless you use Sky as your provider which I don't) and had no issues steaming whatsoever at 20Mhz.

Message 12 of 48
cybot
Luminary

Router still has an issue when using the readyshare feature with the new firmware. Disabling the AX mode and the OFDMA will stop the router software from spazzing out and becoming unresponsive, but the router continues to drop the Internet connection, and the wifi signals drop out every 20 seconds or so. Only thing that causes issue to go away, is to unplug the external hdd from the routers USB port. This issue is occurring even if there is no device that is trying to access the external hdd.

Message 13 of 48
phrostb
Star

Just bought one of these on ebay for $200. Set it up. Seems decent so far. I wanted something relatively simple yet modern. I noticed a few settings aren't enabled by default.

Disabled by default:
MU-MIMO
OFDMA in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
Smart Connect band steering, which requires the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

Should I be turning these on? I live in a one floor condo of around 1500 Sq. Ft. Desktop and a few other devices on ethernet. I have a couple laptops and a few cell phones. None of them support wifi 6E yet. Any opinions? I'm thinking Smart Connect at least...

Message 14 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try them all one then disable the ones you may not need or use or seems to cause problems. Most newer devices in past few year should all support MIMO so you can enable this and see. 

Message 15 of 48
phrostb
Star

So there's no particular combinations I should be weary of? I wonder why Netgear is disabling some of these "premium" features by default. Seems a bit strange.. anyway, thanks for your advice friend!

Message 16 of 48
Tonkinite
Luminary

I have been using 10.1.1/24 for years and have had no serious issues for this model, it’s also a great deal easier to type out the IP4 addresses with this range.

I hope that the built in DHCP service doesn’t have some hardcoded mess inside that prioritizes the 100 to 200 range for the 192.168/16 subnet, or any other subnet for that matter.

I’d also appreciate a clarification on this point.

Message 17 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

The 100-200 range is just a recommendation only. Personal experience brought over from other brand router mfr I used for years as there default range. Worked well for me  there and works for my needs on NG routers. Gives room for static IP assigned devices on ether side of the pool as well. Also less to handle in regards for the router management with a smaller IP address pool size. 

Message 18 of 48
Killhippie
Prodigy

Saying that its been almost 6 months sine the last update for the RAXE500, you think they would want to either get OOKLA speed test working on PPPoE and sort the 40Mhz issue out. The router is mature now so I guess these are not major updates for Netgear with all hands rushing to Wi-Fi 7

Message 19 of 48
Tonkinite
Luminary

None of the vendors seem to care about reliability anymore, even NetGear. The WiFi router business seems to be about selling a supposedly faster router with more features every year. If the router goes belly up every 36 hours, because the WiFi or DHCP is broken, then the customer can always restart or factory reset it, it’s not their focus. The residential customers are basically Guinea Pigs for everyone else. When a router starts favoring wireless traffic over wired traffic for speed it’s an excellent illustration that your business focus is seriously skewed…

Message 20 of 48
Killhippie
Prodigy

It does feel like they have just abandoned the RAXE500 and are pushing wifi 7 now, even though its not going to be useful for a while and still they don't fix the speed test over PPPoE its really frustrating. Its been 6 months since the last update.

Message 21 of 48
perseid
Aspirant

Disappointing that it's been over 6 months since the last firmware update for a router that I spent north of $500. The coders at Netgear are probably instructed to only work on developing new routers. Also, I'm sure that there are lots of new security holes arising after 6 months. Leaving routers insecure is a complete negligence and speaks loads of this company.

Message 22 of 48

@perseid wrote:

The coders at Netgear are probably instructed to only work on developing new routers.

Someone turned up here recently asking for help with a router that is around 10 years old. I was surprised to find that new firmware for it landed a month or so ago.

Also, I'm sure that there are lots of new security holes arising after 6 months. Leaving routers insecure is a complete negligence and speaks loads of this company.

Sadly, "I'm sure that" isn't a lot to go on. What makes you think there are "lots of new security holes arising"?

If you have encountered security issues, then Netgear has a reporting system that lets you alert it to new nasties.

NETGEAR Product Security | NETGEAR

Message 23 of 48
mji71
Aspirant

Two issues I am having with latest firmware:

Minor: If you change the default Device Name of the router, the graphic image on the Advanced Setup > Wireless AP setting page is corrupt.

Major: Once I configure as a Wireless AP, if the router suffers unexpected power loss, then the Web GUI no longer responds. I have to do a full reset. Happened multiple times already (ugh). The RAXE00 continues to function normally, but the Web GUI is non responsive and, also, ping fails.
Message 24 of 48
rsun0525
Guide

Three (maybe four bugs) bugs I've found with this firmware:

First bug:

WiFi 6E still "crashes", basically new clients cannot connect to the 6E SSID, while existing clients that are already connected to the 6E SSID remain connected, if I disconnect and reconnect and existing client, it can no longer connect to the 6E SSID, etc. the only solution I've come up with is just to reboot the RAXE500 and after it starts up everything is good again.  The 2.4 and 5ghz bands continue to work while the 6E SSID is not allowing new connections.

Second bug:

After setting the RAXE500 to an Access Point, the Internet option under Basic on the web client is grayed out.  The workaround is to make any setting changes to Internet before you change it from a router to an Access Point.

Third bug:

On the NightHawk app on my mobile device (both on Android and on iPhone), under Settings, Router Settings, Internet Port, it says the "Type" is "Down", so it's not reporting properly as I'm using the 5th port for Internet access and not the "Yellow" port.  My device is setup for Access Point mode (see next potential bug below).

Fourth bug (maybe):

I have the RAXE500 connected to a Netgear M4250-12M2XF through the 5th port labelled multi gig, it will only detect it as a 1GB connection, I have plugged other devices that are 2.5G capable into the same cable and they all detect at 2.5G, etc.  I set the 5th port up as the Internet port instead of using the Yellow port if that makes any difference in why I'm getting this bug.

Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7