× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500: should I buy or does it keep disconnecting from Internet?

Federico-Venier
Aspirant

RAXE500: should I buy or does it keep disconnecting from Internet?

if it is known to be buggy, I prefer not to buy to then return to Amazon.

PLEASE HINTS

My current D7000 (=R7000+Modem) FW V1.0.1.84_1.0.1 connected to an external modem at 1Gb/s, keeps disconnecting from internet every day. Devices remain connected and they communicate each other, but to re-establish Internet connectivity I have to reboot?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try bridging the D7000 modem to put it in modem only mode.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 2 of 8
Federico-Venier
Aspirant

I need to use it as a router, and "router only" is not available

LAN should be good. Anyway even disconnecting and reconnecting does not fix it.

What's your feeling for the RAXE500? I have a 1Gb/s fiber connection and about 15-20 devices

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So you need to use the modem in router mode? The D7000 does have a bridge mode. If so, then you might turn OFF the D7000 wifi radios and use the modems DMZ for the RAXE router then. 

Message 4 of 8
Federico-Venier
Aspirant

I just want to dismiss the D7000, and buy a new RAXE500 that I will connect to a Nokia fiber modem where I have 1 1Gb/s plan. My only concern is about the RAXE500: I want solid product, not something I need to reboot every while.

No problem to update FW time by time, it is an issue if my video conference drops.  

Message 5 of 8
microchip8
Master

Do you need such an expensive beast of a router? Why not go for the lower RAX models. I run a RAX43 here with ~20 connected devices and don't experience any problems. Speed is steady, it doesn't drop connections, is rock solid
Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Your using the D7000 as your modem and ISP connection, you'll still need to use this modem, even if you get a different router. 

The RAXE is solid when setup and configured well. 

@Federico-Venier wrote:

I just want to dismiss the D7000, and buy a new RAXE500 that I will connect to a Nokia fiber modem where I have 1 1Gb/s plan. My only concern is about the RAXE500: I want solid product, not something I need to reboot every while.

No problem to update FW time by time, it is an issue if my video conference drops.  

Message 7 of 8
cybot
Luminary

I just bought a RAXE500 at the end of October from Amazon. it arrived the next day, at which point I retired my R8000P. I initially had issues with the IPv6 settings and the router acted very abnormally when i hooked up a HDD to the USB port. HOWEVER - now that i have solved the issues revolving around my use of an IPv6 tunnel, those issues have gone away. the router seems to be rock solid now, on both wired, and wireless. I will probably NEVER EVER use the router to it's full potential speeds. internet in my area is limited to a maximum speed of 10 Mbps up, 1Mbps down. In all honesty, I could probably get by with using a wireless A or B router, if there were any still being made with up-to-date security features. but in the event that hell freezes over, and my ISP brings their 2Gb fiber service to my neighborhood, I will be ready for it. IMHO it is a solid router until something goes wrong, then, it starts acting very bizarrely. in my case it boiled down to using 6in4 settings on the 6to4 ipv6 page. it caused all sorts of issuses, seemingly unrelated to operation of the router.  I had been using it with those settings on my R8000P for years with no issues. even the issues revolving around the use of the readyshare feature have been solved by correcting the ipv6.

too sum it up - if i had to buy a new router all over again, would i still pick the RAXE500? Yes, absolutely.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7