× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax120 v2 constant random rebooting

Joe1234567
Star

Rax120 v2 constant random rebooting

I have the RAX120 v2 ever since purchase it has been constantly randomly rebooting. I have been through all of netgears troubleshooting guides with and without tech support. After no solution they finally sent a new one out. Had it fully set and it rrbooted within the first 30mins. I have fully checked with my isp and everything on my end and it's all good. I have tried a much cheaper router and it runs just fine. I've ran out of ideas and when you call netgear support you only get script readers right from the website
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 64
plemans
Guru

1. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

2. what firmware is on the router? (actual number)

3. how do you know its rebooting? (details)

4. how frequently is it rebooting?

Message 2 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

It is connected to an isp provided arries modem.
Rax120v2 is running 1.2.1.22 and have tried all previous versions
We loose internet on all devises and all lights go out on the router then it comes back on with a blinking power light and continues to boot up normally. Somtimes it won't do it for hours sometimes it will reboot every 5 mins. I just read about turning the ax mode off so I'm giving that a try
Message 3 of 64
plemans
Guru

What actual arris modem is it? 

Have you tried different power outlets? 

Whenever the original and a replacement have the same issue it makes me check other factors. Maybe the outlet has a sketchy connection and the cheaper/old routers dont have the same power requirements or tolerate fluctuating power better. 

If you go modem---->cheap/old router----->rax120 and then put the rax120 in access point mode (prevents double nat) does it stay stable?

Again, just trying to check different things. 

Message 4 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

Arris tm3402a

I have tried 3 diffent outlets on completely diffent circuits
Message 5 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

I will try your suggested method after I rule out ax mode
Message 6 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

I ruled out AX mode being an Issue and also i set it into AP mode and still rebooted
Message 7 of 64
riptide_wave
Aspirant

If it helps, I found that when a Roku Express was connected to my RAX120, it would cause it to reboot every 15 or so minutes. As soon as the Roku was powered off and disconnected from the network, my RAX120 has been solid for days without issue.

Message 8 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

I'll try disconnecting devices
Message 9 of 64
dwarno
Initiate

@Joe1234567 wrote:
I ruled out AX mode being an Issue and also i set it into AP mode and still rebooted

Message 10 of 64
Xixx
Guide

We just purchased the same router, new from the NetGear store and we are having identical issues as posted above. The router will reboot at random times, sometime 5 minutes, sometimes several times an hour. Sometimes it's so frequent that it's tough to get any work done. We have 4 total wireless devices connected to it. FireStick V1, MacBook Pro, iPhone 10, iPhone 12 It is plugged into a ARRIS SBG6700-AC that is running in bridged mode. The power outlet is good. Hardware RAX120v2 and Firmware V1.2.1.22 . I really was liking this router because of it's long range WIFI, but this instability isn't going to work. I just noticed while typing this post that my iPhone 12 keeps dropping the WIFI and switching over to cellular, I'm sitting 20 feet away from the router. 

Message 11 of 64
Danewix
Tutor

I'm having the same issue, the support tech for today suggested it was because of the DoS attacks, but after reading many threads I don't think that is the problem.  It's randomly dropping just as the above has suggested, and i'm not sure what to do here.  today is the last day to return it and i love the highspeed wifi when it works, but i'm just not sure that the amount of drops that have been happening (increasing in volume) are worth while. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this.

I've done the following.

1.  reinstalled hardware firmware

2.  Factory reboot and re-install

3.  Moved to wall based power

4.  endless hours of netgear support

Message 12 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

Hello folks I've come to update everyone on my solution. We removed every wireless device from the network and day by day adding one device at a time. We've learned that all first gen good homes and chrome cast were causing the router to reset. We have no clue why this is a thing so our work around was to use a wireless extender to connect all casting devises and all smart home technology to and then all problems went away. Hope this helps others diagnose the problem
Message 13 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

*First gen Google devises and Google home minis
Message 14 of 64
Danewix
Tutor

I have Phillips hue smart lights, Vivint security recording hard drive wired in. Wirelessly I have an Apple TV, a Nintendo switch, Sonos sound system, Vivint security devices, and an iPad on top of my work laptop and a MacBook Pro. Would any of these fall in that category?
Message 15 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

I would suggest trying the same method and remove all wireless devices, wait a day to see if it reboots with all devises disconnected. Then add each device one by one to see what is causing the reboot
Message 16 of 64
Joe1234567
Star

My guess its the lights that could be the problem
Message 17 of 64
Xixx
Guide

I wanted to update this thread. Found out the kids had turned on a really old Amazon Fire Tablet. Each time it access the internet it causes the router to reboot. I threw the tablet in the garbage where it belongs and the router seems stable now for most of the day. 

Message 18 of 64
Vaporstx
Guide

It's not the devices, it's the router. And it's not just this router, Google random rebooting and you'll find this problem going back through multiple models with Netgear. Love how fast the router is along with great distance, but means nothing when the router reboots ever 30 minutes. Sometimes the router will stay on for 2 days and at other times it reboots 3 times in 15 minutes. The only thing going on the trash with be this router as soon as my new one gets here. Last Netgear product ever in this House. Also, I'll never recommend another Netgear product ever to anyone I consult with.
Message 19 of 64
plemans
Guru

@Vaporstx good luck with your next device. 

Message 20 of 64
Xixx
Guide

It was nice while it lasted. With only 2 devices, a MacBook Pro and FireTV, the router is rebooting over and over tonight. This is frusterating for such an expensive router. 

Message 21 of 64
Vaporstx
Guide

I agree. It was very expensive and it's a piece of garbage. I've tried everything on this. Even extra cooling. Turned off armor, turned off traffic monitoring, I even turned off the LED lights on it. Turned off AX, turned off different bands, it's does nothing, it'll still reboot itself. Based on Google search, looks like this problem had been plaguing Netgear for quite some time across multiple models. Currently researching my next brand.
Message 22 of 64
Xixx
Guide

I guess my experience with my Nighthawk X10 R9000 led me to puirchase another NetGear which is how I ended up with this AX12. The Nighthawk X10 device I have at another property has 50+ devices including 16 security cameras, TV's, tablets, Plex Server,  x2 home offices alll hooked to it and it has never rebooted or had any problems. It is truely the best router I've ever used. I guess I'll just look for a used X10. 

Message 23 of 64
mariosuper47
Initiate

I replaced an X10 during the first quarter of 2020 with an RAX200 AX12 router.   The X10 was great but wi-fi 6 was appealing.

The RAX200 worked OK for the first few weeks with random reboots.   I tried many troubleshooting steps and then I ran out of my return windows.   Random reboots got worse!  Basically the router failed!

Contacted Netgear which was absolutely no help.

My experience with RAX200 was remarkably similar to the initial poster on this thread.   I tried everything and finally gave up and bought a new ASUS router.   I configured the ASUS and everything worked as represented.  I put the RAX200 in a box hoping for miracles but not expecting one.

2 months later I viewed a video where some guy took apart his Netgear router and fixed some kind of random issue.   I did learn how Netgear puts devices together and how to take them apart.   So I decided to take a day and see what the RAX200 looked like inside since it had no value to me as it was.

I do not RECOMMEND anyone try this but I thought that I would SHARE my discovery!

I discovered that the Power Adapter plug that powered the router seemed outsized and that it did not seem to fully insert into the socket on the router mother board .  I also found the socket on the router mother board was not properly soldered and secured to the mother board (ie.  it moved around - up and down).   I could not fix the solder joints but I had the idea to put a non-conductive spacer between the MB and the socket module preventing it from moving up and down.  It took me several hours to get this done and get everything back together because I am very much an amateur.  Aftert this bit of "jury rigging", I found that the power plug would fully insert into the socket which wasn't possible before.

I decided to try the RAX200 in its former place of honor which had been taken over by an ASUS.    Wow!   It worked perfectly.   The power adapter plug fit fully into the socket and it have been running for 2 months without a reboot.  I have multi-gig internet and numerous peripherals that now work perfectly.   I realize that my amatuer fix may fail at some point but I feel quite satisfied that I have gotten something out of my $500 investment and that I can once again experience network excellence.

I also recently added an RAX120 in another area of my house that has worked perfectly since day 1.

It seems to me that quality control at Netgear has not been up to its, heretofore, high standards.   Perhaps, my story of disappointment and discovery can lead to a return to quality control that has made Netgear's reputation what it is.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 24 of 64
mkhanshaw
Initiate

Well add me to the list. Reboots in the evenings, just after dinner strangely. I have no idea what to do other then return it if I can. I have done everything to dumb it down, set configs, etc.

Message 25 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7