× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rax120 v2 constant random rebooting

gkokaisel
Tutor

I am also experiencing rebooting. I've done every troubleshooting step in this thread and nothing is working. I am willing to keep trying but not much longer. The cheap Spectrum WiFi router so far is leaps and bounds better than this thing. So disappointing. How has this device not been recalled? I see the rebooting issue all over the internet and not just in this thread. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 51 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset or going back to last working version of FW. 

Message 52 of 64
gkokaisel
Tutor

I've done that already. I orignally had to update when I set it up through the mobile app. Then, I updated again by connected my PC and reflashed th latest firmware. That didn't resolve anything. I think it's an overheating issue in my case. The thing gets super hot to the touch and the fan doesn't kick on. I discovered that I can go the debug page and set the fan to always on, and that has fixed the issue.  I am actually returning it. I think it's a hardware problem and not something I am going to invest more time into. I am within the return window. 

Message 53 of 64
jrgebbie
Tutor

Lol. None of the firmwares work. Since disabling 2.4ghz WMM, I've gone on to do the same for 5ghz. It started randomly rebooting a few weeks ago and transitioned into every day last week. Since doing that it has been stable again. I'll run it into ground since it was essentially free. I am never buying another netgear after this. Paying for tech support on **bleep** product is just ransom.
Message 54 of 64
Vaporstx
Guide

I did all the firmware updates, did nothing. The router constantly rebooted from day 1. And then one day the router management screen stopped working. I did a factory reset on it expecting to start working again and still couldn't access management screen but everything was back to default settings. That was the last straw. The router was retired to the trashcan and I ordered my new Asus AX 11000 that has worked perfectly. The plus is it has faster wireless throughout than the Netgear ever did.
Message 55 of 64
gkokaisel
Tutor

I contacted technical support through the mobile app regarding the rebooting and thermal issues, and I was told this model has known issues and to return it for a new model, lol. Okay. Yep, returning, check! Getting a new model, not so much. I too am going the ASUS route. We'll see. 

Message 56 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Other RAX120 users should contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. Good Luck.

Message 57 of 64
Killhippie
Prodigy

I think support tell you what you want to hear sometimes. I have a version 1 of this unit that has been up for months with no reboots. If you have a UPS make sure its a sinewave one as the router seems to not like stepped sinewave UPS's. Also many units sold by Amazon are North American units, see what country is default on your router as that may be part of the issue. In the UK it should be a RAX120EUS

Message 58 of 64
gkokaisel
Tutor

I had V2 and in my case it was a defective thermal sensor that wasn't triggering the fan to come on when the temps got too high, so it would randomly reboot when the temp got to high. I fixed it by discovering I could go to

http://routerlogin.net/Thermal_FAN.htm 

and set the fan to always on. Note that "I" discovered that. Tech support was no help there when I first called about the issue. Of course that is not a real fix, it's a bandaid. So when I contacted tech support again, they recommended I return the unit. So maybe that was telling me what I want to hear. It was also what needed to be heard because I don't have the tools or knowledge to fix that issue myself and it would have voided the warranty for me to crack it open and even try. 

Message 59 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 60 of 64
Killhippie
Prodigy

What country are you in? I spoke to Netgear sales and all routers they sell in the UK are version 1 units there are no V2 models for sale in the UK from Netgear, there may be of course from other sources but they may not be be UK versions which could cause all sorts of issues with wifi and power. As I posted before all UK models are RAX120EUS and are version one units, there is no difference in functionality between the two as neither have BSS or TWT and they only have download OFDMA not upload. As far as I have been told there are no plans to change this.

Message 61 of 64
Briarchild
Tutor

The beta firmware (1.2.3.33-0315)still doesn’t work for this reboots problem.
Rax120 v2 has rebooted 3 times after firmware 1.2.3.33-0315. First reboot happened in 3days without any change settings.Second reboot happened in less 24 hours. And after rebooting the router couldn’t back to work just a power led light stays(router will come back to work until I press the power button and turn on)
Third reboot: Then I disabled 2.4G WMM however the router rebooted after about 4 days without wifi function but only LAN works.
Message 62 of 64
parryhotter
Initiate

I am in the same boat folks, but I have a hunch that I want to share.

I have started to see these random reboots on my end when Roku Express is playing or when someone else is on a Skype/Teams/GChat call. I tried all the things mentioned in this thread, but I noticed in another old thread that people mentioned something about the heat causing the router to reboot.

I swear that I remember hearing the fan and telling my wife on the first day when I got the router and turned it ON. But a couple of days ago I put my ear next to the router and heard no sound at all. The fan was OFF.

Then I went to my router's settings http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm and turned on the "Always enable fan" setting. And now the reboots have reduced. I had one reboot so far in the last 36 hours. Prior to that every 30-60 minutes I would see a reboot whenever Roku is ON or a call is in progress.

Another thing I noticed is that when I go to http://192.168.1.1/Thermal_FAN.htm the temperature appears as "Current thermal sensor temperature: NaNC.". That to me feels like the temperature sensor is dead or not returning the proper temperature: "NaN" is "Not a Number". So the "Auto" setting in the Thermal FAN settings is not taking effect to turn ON the Fan at any Level. The Fan simply stays OFF.

Hope this helps to push out a new firmware update to allow the router to the turn ON the fan at the Level 5 setting.

Message 63 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 64 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7