× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN connection errors R6700AX

Kitsap
Master

@brx,  Your original post and both of our replies has been removed.  No idea as to why.  Maybe @FURRYe38 or @michaelkenward or @DarrenM can shed some light as to why.

I received an e-mail notification of your reply.  The main thing I took away is that you are attempting to test a VPN connection from a computer that is connected to the same LAN where the Open VPN server is running.  As you have found out, it will not work.  When connected to your LAN, your router assigns an IP address to your computer and tracks it by MAC address.  When you attempt to use that machine to connect back (tunnel) in to the network, the Open VPN server calls for another IP address for the connection.  The router will not issue two separate IP address to the same MAC address.  You have to test your Open VPN configuration from an internet connection different than the one where you have your Open VPN server running.

If you are running current firmware on your R6700AX and the version 2.6.4 Open VPN application, the default Open VPN configuration files will work just fine to establish your connection.  No editing required.  Once you get the connection issue sorted out, then you can experiment with changes to the configuration files.

Have you established an account for a Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS)?

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Kitsap:

Thank you again.

My original purpose was to use the free vpn that was supposed to be available via the Netgear R6700AX router - OpenVPN. To the best of what I can see via the openvpn GUI taskbar icon and status messages, I have never been connected to the openvpn nor have I ever seen the green dot in the icon for more than minute or 2. I have never been connected via the 192.168.1.1 web interface VPN client tab. My iphone, when using cell data, not wifi data, says it is connected to openvpn and I can see the mynetgear account information. That should have been perfect, but no browser even received webpages - I was in fact, not connected via cell data.

You asked me to check NG wifi, and I did, posting that it works just fine - always did. The only big issue was that I did not know I had to use bridge mode. The set up was surprisingly easy and entirely done on the verizon 5G home internet gateway side. No bridging setup was performed via 192.168.1.1 for netgear.

To the best of my knowlege, there is no wifi vpn working as I write this, as surfshark and proton vpns are not connected now and the openvpn gui usually says connecting or reconnecting now; not connected. I have tried several openvpn client script modifications suggested by others. There were fewer error messages, but no connection on the laptop.

With the iphone using the NG R6700AX SSID 5GHz wifi connection, 192.168.1.1 looks fine, but the suggested UN and PW combo did not go through to get the openvpn connected. It never will when you are connected to your router via the Wi-Fi being broadcast by the router where your Open VPN server is running.  This combo did not work for vpn client area on the wifi connected laptop. However, laptop openvpn GUI does not show a green dot now and current state is: reconnecting.

I am trying to connect to openvpn via the NG router and nothing indicates that I am connected to open vpn on the laptop. Is there some other means to connect to openvpn and to verify that connection? I would prefer to use the free openvpn with the router rather than paying for surfshark. Using cell data on the iphone, openvpn says I am connected, but no webpages populate - no connection to web data.

I don't think I am trying to connect to my own server when at home - at least this was not my intention. The VPN client tab on netgear forces you to accept a purevpn server - I cannot explain the why or how of this. I did not sign up with purevpn. So perhaps this confuses things and might be best addressed by netgear folks.

My best guess is that my issues relate to the openvpn script, as it seems a bit wonky, per postings by others and for some unknown reason I am having username and password issues - which was true before bridge mode was used. No doubt that some other hidden issue of other software could be a reason for this.

THX

You have your directions backwards.  The Open VPN server on your router can be configured to connect back to your router with a client device on the internet away from home.  While away from home if you have a phone or computer with the Open VPN client software installed, it is used via the internet to connect to your LAN and any devices you have connected to your LAN.  One direction to connect, from the outside to the inside.  The Surfshark or Pure VPN services allow you to connect to the internet from the inside over an encrypted connection.  These are pay services.

We have run this thing in a circle a couple of times and you have not succeeded in grasping the concept.  There is no free Open VPN service that can be configured and used like Surfshark or Pure VPN.

It is time for me to bow out.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 25

All Replies

@Kitsap wrote:

@brx,  Your original post and both of our replies has been removed.  No idea as to why.  Maybe @FURRYe38 or @michaelkenward or @DarrenM can shed some light as to why.

Looks like @brx has vanished off the face of the planet.

Got sucked into a black hole of a VPN?

Message 2 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Very Odd, Seen you guys going back and forth today. Just got home and all his posts are missing. No idea.

Start a new post thread or try to reply here. 

Message 3 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

Hi Folks:

I did a new registration.

Very odd doings at this website. When I try to enter the netgear community via browsers on the Asus laptop, I am met with: You are not allowed to access this site

/t5/errors/FilterErrorHandlerPage.

So I can enter via this new registration.

Per the LAN (please be gentle, as I really don't understand what this is), I don't think I purposely did anything. I did follow the directions on the 146 page or so manual for the router. I think I did the DDNS correctly. The VPN did not work. Then I saw postings where folks had somewhat similar issues and followed their leads, to no avail. 

Glad to send out my original postings, I have a text copy. Please let me know to who and an email or private community mail link.

I am not aware of space aliens being involved but I do remember the old Southpark episode about aliens, Cartman, and something coming out of his......

"Move along folks...nothing to see here...." as Officer Barbrady would say.

From New Orleans with love

"Red beans and ricely yours" as Satchmo would say

Message 4 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Trying posting your original text for reference I guess. Just copy and paste plain text. 

Possible something in the spam filter got falsely triggered. Haven't seen this before. Technology, don't you love it...or hate it, sometimes.

Message 5 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Hi Folks:

I did a new registration.

Very odd doings at this website. When I try to enter the netgear community via browsers on the Asus laptop, I am met with: You are not allowed to access this site

/t5/errors/FilterErrorHandlerPage.

So I can enter via this new registration.

Per the LAN (please be gentle, as I really don't understand what this is), I don't think I purposely did anything. I did follow the directions on the 146 page or so manual for the router. I think I did the DDNS correctly. The VPN did not work. Then I saw postings where folks had somewhat similar issues and followed their leads, to no avail. 

Glad to send out my original postings, I have a text copy. Please let me know to who and an email or private community mail link.

I am not aware of space aliens being involved but I do remember the old Southpark episode about aliens, Cartman, and something coming out of his......

"Move along folks...nothing to see here...." as Officer Barbrady would say.

From New Orleans with love

"Red beans and ricely yours" as Satchmo would say

Let us back up a step.  What are you trying to accomplish when your enable the Open VPN server on your router?

The primary function is to access your local area network that is formed by connecting your R6700AX to the internet via a modem.  I have network storage, computers, cameras, and several thermostats on my local area network.  I use the Open VPN server feature on my router to access these devices when I am away from home.  When I am at home and connected to my Wi-Fi, I just access the devices directly from a computer or mobile device. 

If you want to start a new thread under your new registration, we can continue there and I will mark this thread as resolved.

Message 6 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep this thread going. Don't mark it solved until its actually solved please. 

Message 7 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

I replied about 15  minutes ago - but I do not see the posting anymore !!

In brief, mostly wanted the openvpn for the purposes of vpn for now. I would like to know how to use it while traveling for connecting to home cameras, thermostats, etc as well. I have no idea what the issues are with me using the netgear community forums, or openvpn, but I cannot access the forums at all via any browser in the Asus laptop - that I tried to connect via openvpn / /DDNS. All other functions remain unaffected. I am writing this from the HP laptop, where I never loaded openvpn, via the Netgear wifi connection and not directly from the verizon 5g home internet gateway. Might have to email folks directly with my comments under the circumstances.

Message 8 of 25
Kitsap
Master

Sent you a private message.

Message 9 of 25
Kitsap
Master

Message 10 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

The user interface wifi to VZ home internet 5G gateway Verizon 5G Internet Gateway (LVSKIHP), has a button on the dashboard to enable bridge node via 192.168.0.1. Having done this, I now only see the NG router and NG wifi. I connect to NG wifi hust fine. However, I cannot get back to 192.168.0.1 while the NG is on. Not sure if VZ auto senses the bridge to restore wifi if I unplug the NG and I am afraid to shut the bridge down right now.

Despite status error messages the Open VPN GUI mini icon in the taskbar, monitor with a lock, has a green dot, connected to client, but no IP address is noted.

Hooray !!  However, I have 6 x 6 username and password combos to test 😞

So which username (? for DDNS, openvpn, admin, netgear etc) to use?

Mnay thx so far !!

Message 11 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

The user interface wifi to VZ home internet 5G gateway Verizon 5G Internet Gateway (LVSKIHP), has a button on the dashboard to enable bridge node via 192.168.0.1. Having done this, I now only see the NG router and NG wifi. I connect to NG wifi hust fine. However, I cannot get back to 192.168.0.1 while the NG is on. Not sure if VZ auto senses the bridge to restore wifi if I unplug the NG and I am afraid to shut the bridge down right now.

Despite status error messages the Open VPN GUI mini icon in the taskbar, monitor with a lock, has a green dot, connected to client, but no IP address is noted.

Hooray !!  However, I have 6 x 6 username and password combos to test 😞

So which username (? for DDNS, openvpn, admin, netgear etc) to use?

Mnay thx so far !!

How is the client connected to the internet and from where?

Still confused by what you are talking about relative to username and passwords.  Where are these being asked for?

Message 12 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

How is the client connected to the internet and from where? What is the client? I do not understand the terminology. The VZ home internet 5g gateway is in bridge mode now but I cannot confirm this as I cannot connect to a vz wifi to pull up the user interface via 192.168.0.1. Hit one button on the dashboard to switch from router to bridge mode and it took a few minutes to reboot itself. There is no wifi from the VZ gateway now. Ethernet from VZ gateway to NG R6700AX. Wifi from NG to Asus W10 laptop.

Still confused by what you are talking about relative to username and passwords.  Where are these being asked for?  Via the NG nighthawk internet portal (192.168.1.1/adv_index.html), advanced - listed on left hand side, open "+" at advanced setup, then VPN Client is listed on the very bottom. Tap it on the screen and then the VPN client settings are found: enable or not, vpn server-only choice is purevpn, vpn protocol-I chose UDP, country-US, City-Houston (from a list of cities), then the user has to enter Username and Password.

Below this it has a connect button

Below this are 3 buttons: Buy a license, Show logs, and Help Center.

I have used so many usernames and passwords at different points in setting this that I do not know which set to use here. These were needed for 1st log on, then I changed that, then for DDNS set up, then for open vpn, etc. Which to use for the vpn client. There is no option for UN or PW recovery. This is not noted in the 146 page user manual.

Also, the green dot on the open vpn gui is no longer there and it says connecting, not connected, plus the old error messages.

Beyond bridge mode, I think I am still stuck, possibly with a vpn script issue and the UN PW issue. I will clear the cache, reboot and unplug NG to see if VZ wifi comes back on as well, turn on NG and see if bridge mode comes back.

THX

Message 13 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

How is the client connected to the internet and from where? What is the client? I do not understand the terminology. The VZ home internet 5g gateway is in bridge mode now but I cannot confirm this as I cannot connect to a vz wifi to pull up the user interface via 192.168.0.1. Hit one button on the dashboard to switch from router to bridge mode and it took a few minutes to reboot itself. There is no wifi from the VZ gateway now. Ethernet from VZ gateway to NG R6700AX. Wifi from NG to Asus W10 laptop.

Still confused by what you are talking about relative to username and passwords.  Where are these being asked for?  Via the NG nighthawk internet portal (192.168.1.1/adv_index.html), advanced - listed on left hand side, open "+" at advanced setup, then VPN Client is listed on the very bottom. Tap it on the screen and then the VPN client settings are found: enable or not, vpn server-only choice is purevpn, vpn protocol-I chose UDP, country-US, City-Houston (from a list of cities), then the user has to enter Username and Password.

Below this it has a connect button

Below this are 3 buttons: Buy a license, Show logs, and Help Center.

I have used so many usernames and passwords at different points in setting this that I do not know which set to use here. These were needed for 1st log on, then I changed that, then for DDNS set up, then for open vpn, etc. Which to use for the vpn client. There is no option for UN or PW recovery. This is not noted in the 146 page user manual.

Also, the green dot on the open vpn gui is no longer there and it says connecting, not connected, plus the old error messages.

Beyond bridge mode, I think I am still stuck, possibly with a vpn script issue and the UN PW issue. I will clear the cache, reboot and unplug NG to see if VZ wifi comes back on as well, turn on NG and see if bridge mode comes back.

THX

VPN terminology.  When you enable and configure Open VPN on your router, your router becomes an Open VPN server that you can connect (tunnel) in to from devices connected to the internet outside of your LAN.  Like from a friends house, hotel, coffee shop, etc.  You cannot connect to your Open VPN server with a device (client) that is connected to the LAN (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) where your Open VPN server is running.  Even for testing.

Your R6700AX has some VPN features that only the newer devices have.  I cannot even find it in the user manual.  Your router can be configured as a VPN client connected to a commercial VPN service.  Such as Pure VPN.  When you signup and pay for Pure VPN, you will receive the information like user name, password, and possibly license number.  When you connect your R6700AX to a commercial VPN service, all of your traffic originating on your LAN goes through your VPN service.

I do not know for sure, but I seriously doubt if you can configure your router simultaneously as both a client to an outside service and as a server for outside connections back to your LAN.

Message 14 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

Kitsap:

Your assistance is very much appreciated. I would never have figured out that

I needed to be in bridge mode without your assistance. That stated I am still not connected to OpenVPN except for a few rare minutes at a time - the openvpn icon only rarely has a green dot and the openvpn connection (client) status pop up often says connecting or reconnecting. I have tried the 36 username and password combinations I could think of per the netgear nighhawk 192.168.1.1 interface VPN client tab. No combination worked. I don't think I ever did anything with PureVPN on my end. It was the 1 and only populated choice under the VPN server pulldown, unlike the VPN Protocol pulldown that offers TCP or UDP (I chose UDP). So in brief, I cannot offer any clue regarding why or how Purevpn comes to be offered as a VPN server for which me as the user here has no choice, within the VPN client part of the NG Nighthawk software / browser interface. Perhaps someone from netgear can answer this and why a purevpn server comes up in a vpn client part of the interface.

Any further assistance on trying to get on openvpn would be most welcome.

THX

Message 15 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Kitsap:

Your assistance is very much appreciated. I would never have figured out that

I needed to be in bridge mode without your assistance. That stated I am still not connected to OpenVPN except for a few rare minutes at a time - the openvpn icon only rarely has a green dot and the openvpn connection (client) status pop up often says connecting or reconnecting. I have tried the 36 username and password combinations I could think of per the netgear nighhawk 192.168.1.1 interface VPN client tab. No combination worked. I don't think I ever did anything with PureVPN on my end. It was the 1 and only populated choice under the VPN server pulldown, unlike the VPN Protocol pulldown that offers TCP or UDP (I chose UDP). So in brief, I cannot offer any clue regarding why or how Purevpn comes to be offered as a VPN server for which me as the user here has no choice, within the VPN client part of the NG Nighthawk software / browser interface. Perhaps someone from netgear can answer this and why a purevpn server comes up in a vpn client part of the interface.

Any further assistance on trying to get on openvpn would be most welcome.

THX

You are going to have to do some testing from a client device (laptop computer or mobile) that is connected to the internet outside your home.  When you do the testing, you will have to first make sure your Verizon gateway is in bridge mode and then restarted with your R6700AX powered down.  After your gateway has restarted and stabilized then power up your router.  With one person doing the testing, a mobile device like a phone is much easier to work with.  On the mobile device you can turn off the home Wi-Fi connection and connect to the internet through a cell connection.

When you have successfully made a VPN connection from outside the home, you should be able to log in to your router user interface from your client device or log in to other devices you have connected to your LAN.

Message 16 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions Kitsap:

I can try doing your suggestions via my cell phone using cell data while at home. This avoids the need to take the laptop to a coffee shop with internet access and having someone stay at home babysitting the netgear R6700AX.

1. I presume Verizon 5G home internet gateway is in bridge mode as I pressed that button on the dashboard and the device restarted. After it restarted, there was no VZ related wifi SSID broadcast.
2. I will unplug the NG R6700AX (NG does not have a power switch or button).
3. I will restart the VZ home internet gateway and wait a few minutes for the solid white light.
4. I will wait 2 extra minutes, then power up the NG R6700AX.
5. I will stay at home. On my iPhone settings I will turn wifi off (usually connect via wifi at home). I will use my limited cell data for connection.

Here are my Qs for next steps:

6. How exactly do I connect to the internet via openvpn this way? Do I download and use the netgear nighthawk software for iphone, plus openvpn software for iphone?
7. What username and password combo do I use? The one for DDNS, openvpn, netgear admin, netgear login for 2.4Gz, netgear login for 5Ghz, etc? I have at least 36 possible combinations !!

The login issues have returned on 1 browser on the Asus laptop, so bridge mode did not end this issue.

THX again

Message 17 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

An Unexpected Error Has Occurred.
Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 5D91648E.
Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Return to my original page

Error message in the avast browser, ?? chrome based.

W10, I am sending this via FF browser.

Message 18 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions Kitsap:

I can try doing your suggestions via my cell phone using cell data while at home. This avoids the need to take the laptop to a coffee shop with internet access and having someone stay at home babysitting the netgear R6700AX.

1. I presume Verizon 5G home internet gateway is in bridge mode as I pressed that button on the dashboard and the device restarted. After it restarted, there was no VZ related wifi SSID broadcast.  Good
2. I will unplug the NG R6700AX (NG does not have a power switch or button). Correct
3. I will restart the VZ home internet gateway and wait a few minutes for the solid white light.
4. I will wait 2 extra minutes, then power up the NG R6700AX.
5. I will stay at home. On my iPhone settings I will turn wifi off (usually connect via wifi at home). I will use my limited cell data for connection.  Yes

Here are my Qs for next steps:

6. How exactly do I connect to the internet via openvpn this way? Do I download and use the netgear nighthawk software for iphone, plus openvpn software for iphone?
7. What username and password combo do I use? The one for DDNS, openvpn, netgear admin, netgear login for 2.4Gz, netgear login for 5Ghz, etc? I have at least 36 possible combinations !!

The login issues have returned on 1 browser on the Asus laptop, so bridge mode did not end this issue.

THX again

I am not an iPhone person.  Here are the steps for Android and you may have to interpolate along the way.

On your iPhone, you will go to the playstore and download the OpenVPN connect application.  Be cautions here, there are lots of wannabe applications that have made it through the playstore screening process.  They will have less than desirable or just plain disastrous results if installed. See attached screen snip.

Log in to the Netgear user interface and create/download the OpenVPN configuration package for Mac.  Be sure and enable connections to all sites on the internet and home network option.  Copy these files to your phone.  On Android the copy to location on the phone is specific or the import function will not work.  Once you have the application downloaded and installed, when you first run it you have to import the profile (configuration files) into the application before you can connect back to your router.  The profile import action is a one time event unless you make changes to your router configuration.

No passwords required to connect back to your router via the application on your phone.  The specific details of your connection and your router are encrypted into the configuration files you created/downloaded.

When the VPN connection from your phone is successfully created, the application will indicate so.  When the phone connection over VPN is successful, you can use your computer and log in to your router user interface and look at the connected devices.  It should show your phone as assigned a local IP address from your LAN.  When you are away from home and not testing, you can connect to Wi-Fi and the OpenVPN connection will work fine without using up your cell data.  Most Free Wi-Fi locations support VPN connections but not all.  Occasionally you will find one that is configured to specifically block VPN connections.

The connection issues you are having on your laptop computer can most likely be tied back to the numerous network VPN services (Surfshark) you have installed and configured.

Message 19 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

Synopsis: Iphone openvpn says I am connected to .... mynetgear.com

Private IP 192 168 x x

public server ip   72.108.13.xxx

port 129xx

udpv4 protocol

i have a device id

settings seem ok  So I think it all looks good via openvpn iphone app ......

Netgear Nighthawk iphone app seems ok

But I cannot connect to the internet. No response to 192.168.1.1 after UN and PW done. Several attempts including after a power off and restart. Could be a UN and PW issue but again, I do not know which UN and PW combo to use. Assistance appreciated.

Phone shows cell provider LTE and VPN

Next steps?

Message 20 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Synopsis: Iphone openvpn says I am connected to .... mynetgear.com

Private IP 192 168 x x

public server ip   72.108.13.xxx

port 129xx

udpv4 protocol

i have a device id

settings seem ok  So I think it all looks good via openvpn iphone app ......

Netgear Nighthawk iphone app seems ok

But I cannot connect to the internet. No response to 192.168.1.1 after UN and PW done. Several attempts including after a power off and restart. Could be a UN and PW issue but again, I do not know which UN and PW combo to use. Assistance appreciated.

Phone shows cell provider LTE and VPN

Next steps?

The username and password you would use is the same one you would use from your computer at home when you log in to the router user interface.  There is only one username and password combination to log in to the user interface on your router.  There is a chance Netgear has blocked this access in their firmware for newer routers.  Have you tried to log in to other devices on your LAN?  Such as a thermostat, camera, light switch, or other IoT device.

When not connected via VPN but connected via home Wi-Fi, have you tried to log in to the router user interface using a web browser on your phone?

Message 21 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

Kitsap:

Thank you again.

With the iphone using the NG R6700AX SSID 5GHz wifi connection, 192.168.1.1 looks fine, but the suggested UN and PW combo did not go through to get the openvpn connected. This combo did not work for vpn client area on the wifi connected laptop. However, laptop openvpn GUI does not show a green dot now and current state is: reconnecting.

I only have 1 govee plug type and it uses bluetooth and / or 2.4GHz. I could turn it on via the iphone using NG wifi (without openvpn). Anything else I have is only bluetooth and not 2.4GHz.

Message 22 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Kitsap:

Thank you again.

With the iphone using the NG R6700AX SSID 5GHz wifi connection, 192.168.1.1 looks fine, but the suggested UN and PW combo did not go through to get the openvpn connected. It never will when you are connected to your router via the Wi-Fi being broadcast by the router where your Open VPN server is running.  This combo did not work for vpn client area on the wifi connected laptop. However, laptop openvpn GUI does not show a green dot now and current state is: reconnecting.

I am really puzzled by the question.  Unless your laptop is connected to the internet outside of your home it will never be able to connect to your Open VPN server on your router.  Why would you want to do so?  When you are at home you are already connected to your LAN either by Wi-Fi or Ethernet.  The only reason to enable and configure the Open VPN server on your router is to connect back to your LAN when you are away from home.

I only have 1 govee plug type and it uses bluetooth and / or 2.4GHz. I could turn it on via the iphone using NG wifi (without openvpn). Anything else I have is only bluetooth and not 2.4GHz.

I am equally puzzled why your are trying to configure an Open VPN server on your router.  What did you hope to accomplish?

Message 23 of 25
BRX2
Aspirant

Kitsap:

Thank you again.

My original purpose was to use the free vpn that was supposed to be available via the Netgear R6700AX router - OpenVPN. To the best of what I can see via the openvpn GUI taskbar icon and status messages, I have never been connected to the openvpn nor have I ever seen the green dot in the icon for more than minute or 2. I have never been connected via the 192.168.1.1 web interface VPN client tab. My iphone, when using cell data, not wifi data, says it is connected to openvpn and I can see the mynetgear account information. That should have been perfect, but no browser even received webpages - I was in fact, not connected via cell data.

You asked me to check NG wifi, and I did, posting that it works just fine - always did. The only big issue was that I did not know I had to use bridge mode. The set up was surprisingly easy and entirely done on the verizon 5G home internet gateway side. No bridging setup was performed via 192.168.1.1 for netgear.

To the best of my knowlege, there is no wifi vpn working as I write this, as surfshark and proton vpns are not connected now and the openvpn gui usually says connecting or reconnecting now; not connected. I have tried several openvpn client script modifications suggested by others. There were fewer error messages, but no connection on the laptop.

I am trying to connect to openvpn via the NG router and nothing indicates that I am connected to open vpn on the laptop. Is there some other means to connect to openvpn and to verify that connection? I would prefer to use the free openvpn with the router rather than paying for surfshark. Using cell data on the iphone, openvpn says I am connected, but no webpages populate - no connection to web data.

I don't think I am trying to connect to my own server when at home - at least this was not my intention. The VPN client tab on netgear forces you to accept a purevpn server - I cannot explain the why or how of this. I did not sign up with purevpn. So perhaps this confuses things and might be best addressed by netgear folks.

My best guess is that my issues relate to the openvpn script, as it seems a bit wonky, per postings by others and for some unknown reason I am having username and password issues - which was true before bridge mode was used. No doubt that some other hidden issue of other software could be a reason for this.

THX

Message 24 of 25
Kitsap
Master

@BRX2 wrote:

Kitsap:

Thank you again.

THX

You have your directions backwards.  The Open VPN server on your router can be configured to connect back to your router with a client device on the internet away from home.  While away from home if you have a phone or computer with the Open VPN client software installed, it is used via the internet to connect to your LAN and any devices you have connected to your LAN.  One direction to connect, from the outside to the inside.  The Surfshark or Pure VPN services allow you to connect to the internet from the inside over an encrypted connection.  These are pay services.

We have run this thing in a circle a couple of times and you have not succeeded in grasping the concept.  There is no free Open VPN service that can be configured and used like Surfshark or Pure VPN.

It is time for me to bow out.  Good luck.

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7