× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readycloud access either with RAXE450 or R8000 AP mode under RAXE450

dshunzeker
Aspirant

Readycloud access either with RAXE450 or R8000 AP mode under RAXE450

I have had an R8000 for years in normal mode with readycloud access.  The R8000 started having internet issues.  Firmware is up to date.  That is only for background.  I bought an RXAE450, assuming it is a premium box and would surely have all of the same perks, like readycloud.  Alas, it does not.  So, the first question is if there is any plan to give readycloud access in future firmware releases for the RAXE, as this is a really useful function?  Otherwise, can the old R8000 be used in AP mode under the RAXE to provide the missing functionality.  I have tried a thousand ways and altered order of operation myriad other ways.  Is there a port that could open on the RAXE that would do it?  My setup is modem to RAXE WAN port, then RAXE LAN port to R8000 WAN port.  In my last attempt, I started with the R8000 in normal operation so that I could register the USB to Readycloud.  I turned off all WiFi on the R8000 to avoid interference.  I am operating only from ethernet.  That worked fine.  I then set the device to AP mode and connected appropriately.  It rebooted.  It is in AP mode with the Readycloud tab showing it is registered.  IP, mask, and DNS server are set to be the same regardless of mode of operation.  I tried DNS set up either as gateway or directly to what my RAXE uses.  I can access the drive using \\ipaddress\usb_storage.  All seems like it is fine, but readycloud still cannot connect to the storage.  There is something that cannot get through when the RAXE is in front.  Is there just a port that I can open?  Thoughts?  Separately, all browsers have stopped supporting ftp, which makes that a painful alternative.  I need to access my data while on travel.  Help!!

Message 1 of 5

@dshunzeker wrote:

So, the first question is if there is any plan to give readycloud access in future firmware releases for the RAXE, as this is a really useful function? 

Netgear doesn't share that sort of information with the people who hang out here. Older RAX devices do work with ReadyCLOUD. So who knows what may happen in future. But these features have a habit of disappearing in the pursuit of improved security.

Otherwise, can the old R8000 be used in AP mode under the RAXE to provide the missing functionality. 

Have you tried it? It is a simple test.

AP mode does kill various things:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But none of the USB features seem to be in there.

Message 2 of 5
dshunzeker
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding have I tried it, please see the middle of my description.  In AP mode, everything works that is needed, save one item:  Readycloud.  I can access the drive by \\ipaddress\usb_storage\ from anywhere on the network.  It is not clear if AP simply disables Readycloud or if RAXE actively blocks something.  That is the question.  Is there a port that can be opened or some other simple fix to get access?

Regarding, "none of the USB features seem to be in there," yes, I can make all USB functions work except ReadyCloud.  

Regarding the other items on the disable list, most are obvious based on AP puts the R8000 in basically a slave mode.

Message 3 of 5

@dshunzeker wrote:

Regarding have I tried it, please see the middle of my description. 

Next time use paragraphs. They are easier to read than slabs of continuous text, especially when you throw in bits like "I have tried a thousand ways and altered order of operation myriad other ways".

Regarding, "none of the USB features seem to be in there," yes, I can make all USB functions work except ReadyCloud.  

Did you ever get the R8000 to work with ReadyCLOUD when it was running as a router?

How are you trying to access ReadyCLOUD?

There are various options, some of which cause problems for me. The Windows app, for example, is a pain whereas going through https://readycloud.netgear.com/ or th Android app is fine.

Maybe you did all that in your myriad other ways. I can't tell.

Message 4 of 5
dshunzeker
Aspirant

Regarding writing protocols, where I have broken things out in separate paragraphs, I get flamed for writing too much.  I made a call.

Regarding has ReadyCloud ever worked, trying not to be too redundant, yes, in my original slab text I note that, in my current setup, I started by registering and testing Readycloud, and then setting to AP mode and rebooting.  I can access the router configuration page by ip address.  It shows that I am registered.  I had hoped that if it held the registration it might work.  Not to be.  

I access Readycloud as you do, by browser.  I have tried several, as they all work a bit different.

Yes, those were part of the myriad ways.  I was trying to differentiate between different connected setups and different access methods.

It did occur to me a few minutes ago that Netgear messes with local DNS to be able to do things like routerlogin instead of using ipaddress to access the configuration setup.  Is there a way to see and/or edit a local LAN DNS table to push readycloud requests to the AP device?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7