× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rebooting Netgear rax 120

Usikus
Aspirant

Rebooting Netgear rax 120

Recently I bought a Netgear Rax 120 Serial : 5VE399 1.2.8.40 on Ebay.
When it arrived to me in Ukraine, I could not believe that the device for $300 could work so badly.
WiFi was rebooting constantly, the speed in the 2.4 Ghz range was dropping to 25mb/s.
It was very warm and the cooler was on very rarely.
I tried every configuration option, but it did not work.
I decided to take it apart.
And I found out that the problem was not with the firmware but with the fault of Netgear!
THERE WAS A MISTAKE IN THE COOLING RADIATOR ASSEMBLY!
The legs on the pressure plate, which is held in place by 4 rails, are in the wrong order.
They don't align with the holes in the board, because of that the plate is not pressed tightly, and when you load the 2.4 chip, very poor cooling of the chip occurs.
I fixed it by rearranging the legs in the correct order, assembled the router and it worked.
The problem was solved and now he almost does not heat up, his temperature is 40 degrees, with a connected home network of 12 PCs, 16 phones, surveillance cameras, smart home and everything works fine.
If you need pictures email me.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Rebooting Netgear rax 120

Might be why it was sold on ebay versus from the netgear store. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16

All Replies
Usikus
Aspirant

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

Might be why it was sold on ebay versus from the netgear store. 

Message 3 of 16
Usikus
Aspirant

This plate was assembled the way it was at the factory, as these guides are pressed into it. It is almost impossible to do this at home. The plate is a router overheating problem. In this case, I do not see the difference where the Rax120 was bought
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

May have been a mfr'g defect of the line. 

Message 5 of 16

Has anyone reported similar issues here?

Not the construction, which can change during manufacturing and that few people will feel confident to investigate, but the consequences you see in performance, the reboots.

There have been various reports of reboots on a number of routers. These usually get put down to firmware rather than manufacturing.

Message 6 of 16
Usikus
Aspirant

Specifically, in my case, most likely a mistake was made on the assembly line. I read a lot of complaints about the incorrect work of wifi, and in my case this problem was solved. It is not the upper radiator and the processor that overheats, as everyone thinks, but the bottom plate that cools the modules, so the cooling sensor does not work correctly. I am sorry for my English)
Message 7 of 16
Usikus
Aspirant

He is now a little warm, but before he was always hot
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I do for ANY wifi router I use, place a USP laptop cooler fan under the router for additional cooling all the time. 

Message 9 of 16
Serial45
Aspirant

Im havng the same issue guyd driving me mad!!!

There was a bug thread going that seems to have been locked can anyone please help?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/m-p/...

Some people mentioned about a beta firmware fixing it, how would i get this?

My serial number on the router is 6k01215xxx. Is this one of the confirmed models effected?

Rebooted ablut 15 times last week, up until i found out about this issue i'd called BT out twice they confirmed no issues. I then witnessed the lights on router resetting and checked the netgear logs shown it going down.

Not impressed!
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Sent. 

@Serial45 wrote:
Im havng the same issue guyd driving me mad!!!

There was a bug thread going that seems to have been locked can anyone please help?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/m-p/...

Some people mentioned about a beta firmware fixing it, how would i get this?

My serial number on the router is 6k01215xxx. Is this one of the confirmed models effected?

Rebooted ablut 15 times last week, up until i found out about this issue i'd called BT out twice they confirmed no issues. I then witnessed the lights on router resetting and checked the netgear logs shown it going down.

Not impressed!

Message 11 of 16
devin1333
Aspirant

My serial # is 6JY, is there any way I could get the beta FW to try out? The reboots are starting to get more frequent, typically during Teams calls when I assume the utilization is creeping up.

Message 12 of 16
JustinDK
Tutor

I have also been dealing with constant reboots with my Nighthawk AX12 RAX120v2, running Firmware Version V1.2.8.40. I've purchased a cooling mat that has been placed under the unit and this has not solved the problem. I've also seen mention of a beta firmware update, but have not received a reply from the user on this message board. From what I have seen and experienced, trying to stream video over 2.4Ghz is a sure way to make the unit barf and reboot. Would appreciate anyone's insight. @DarrenM 

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the routers serial number seen in back please? 

@JustinDK wrote:

I have also been dealing with constant reboots with my Nighthawk AX12 RAX120v2, running Firmware Version V1.2.8.40. I've purchased a cooling mat that has been placed under the unit and this has not solved the problem. I've also seen mention of a beta firmware update, but have not received a reply from the user on this message board. From what I have seen and experienced, trying to stream video over 2.4Ghz is a sure way to make the unit barf and reboot. Would appreciate anyone's insight.

Message 14 of 16
JustinDK
Tutor

Sent you a PM with the serial

Message 15 of 16
JustinDK
Tutor

@FURRYe38I am at the point where I want to throw this unit out the window. The cost was excessive for the problems I have had with reboots daily. The older Linksys model I migrated from had less features but never rebooted unless I lost power or purposely opted to do so.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7