× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recent RAX120 Firmware V1.2.0.16 rendered 2.4Ghz radios inoperable.

digitalis32
Tutor

Recent RAX120 Firmware V1.2.0.16 rendered 2.4Ghz radios inoperable.

On my RAX120 Router the 5G wireless works perfectly however the recent firmware update seems to have rendered the 2.4G radios inoperable. I have a considerable investment in IoT devices which rely heavily on this frequency band, and the loss of basic 2.4G connectivity from such an expensive device has been intesnely aggravating.

I have done a factory reset (base firmware was V1.0.2.136 ) and 2.4G is still inoperable, I have tweaked a few settings in the hopes of resolving any conflict with networks surrounding my house. I tried activating a guest network soley on 2.4Ghz which according to multiple devices that operate on that band was non-existant, the router persistently remains silent on that frequency.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

you can downgrade the firmware. Maybe the new update caused issues. 

Simply download the old firmware and follow the manual update process but use the older firmware

Message 2 of 7
digitalis32
Tutor

Already done that, rolled back to the Base firmware and post downgrade I performed a reboot to ensure the device was reset properly.

Message 3 of 7
Chichizola
Star

Your best option is to drop Netgear and buy another brand, I did.

Message 4 of 7
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Honest I believe Netgear have given up on the rax line in general so many complains on here and reddit the only thing you can do is download firmware 1.0.2.136 make sure you dont have traffic meter on as plays havoc on connection. This sort of helps me for now but still loads problems especially with my smart devices on 2.4 I have to reserve the ip addresses and even use another ac network extender.
Message 5 of 7
digitalis32
Tutor

Thanks for the replies and assistance.

I did another factory reset, rebooted, installed new firmware (V1.2.0.16) and rebooted. And tediously rebuilt my settings (not from a saved config)

The resut was the 2.4G radios were again functional, but only for a while. I did my usual suite of stability and speed tests. The 2.4Ghz band cut out after 18 hours. After that, total radio silence on that frequency band. The 5G network functions perfectly and passed all the 24hr stress tests. So I'm back to the same problem as before.

I'm considering my options outside of the Netgear ecosystem. Irrespective of price point, there aren't many devices that provide the features that this one does.

Message 6 of 7
Chichizola
Star

Good desicion. I have to point out that this device does not provide the features, only advertices that it does. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7