× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Release Date RAX120

Release Date RAX120

Does anyone have an idea when this router will be ready for purchase and will it be test driven for speed etc. And how much money are they going to cost. I priced the RAX80 at Best Buy $399.99 but they are always high priced on most everything it seems.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

@captainjack58 wrote:

Lets hope they have the bugs out! I do not mind paying the higher cost but I hope to get a good product for that cost!

Yes lets hope the reason for the bad release of code for existing routers is because they have the good experienced engineers working on the new flagship routers. 

With Netgear's recent track record and my experience with a r8000 and r8000p I would not hold my breath. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16

All Replies

Only a guess.  (RAX120) $449 to $499 at release.  The  RAX80 has received mixed reviews.   New design, first release.  I'd suggest "wait and see".

Message 2 of 16
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

I have the AX8 and it is pretty good. Most of the issues I have read about it had to do with the fan being too loud but mine is extremely quiet. Speed is pretty good not quite as fast as the AD7200 but very good nonetheless. I think the AX12 will be a top notch router. Will probably need a firmware update to work out any initial bugs like any other new router.
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for this info...   RAX80/120 - They have fans?  If so, thats not good.  I doubt they are ball bearing, likely sleeve.  So now we are going to have to worry about firmware, noisy fans, overheating and in the end premature failure of a non-user serviceable part.  Hope this won't be the case.

Message 4 of 16
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

I only hear it if I reboot it which I do about once a week just to flush out the cache which I have done for every router. Once it connects to the internet again dead silent. I would recommend buying from someplace like Best Buy and get the 2 year warranty replacement (just in case). That way if there are any issues they replace or exchange and move on down the road if you decide to go with a different model or brand. Very good router so far but the true test will be when ax devices become available.
Message 5 of 16
myersw
Master

I suspect the fan is like Linksys put in the WRT1900AC V1. It did not run all the time. Linksys set it to come on at 85 degrees centigrade and off 80. Most of thet time other then power on the fan never ran. 3rd party like dd-wrt and Openwrt/LEDE allowed customizing the on and off. 

Message 6 of 16

Lets hope they have the bugs out! I do not mind paying the higher cost but I hope to get a good product for that cost!

Message 7 of 16
myersw
Master

@captainjack58 wrote:

Yes lets hope the reason for the bad release of code for existing routers is because they have the good experienced engineers working on the new flagship routers. 

With Netgear's recent track record and my experience with a r8000 and r8000p I would not hold my breath. 

Message 8 of 16
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Agreed. I don’t mind a high price for a router as long as it does what it is supposed to well. No complaints from me on the AX8. Very interested to see what the AX12 brings to the table.
Message 9 of 16
CyberTri
Apprentice

I have an AX8. Im probably going to buy an Asus RT-ax88u ....and compare. If the AX12 is much better than the AX8 then I may change it out. Anyone know the release date for the AX12.
Message 10 of 16
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

No specific date as of yet has been announced.  All I have seen is it is supposed to be released in the first quarter of 2019.

Message 11 of 16
microchip8
Master

The RAX120 is Qualcomm-based and Qualcomm uses OpenWrt as its SDK so I suspect it will be reliable like the R7800, provided the engineers don't F it up

Message 12 of 16

Let's hope not I just wish they would stop teasing us and sell it. How hard can it be?

Message 13 of 16

I am ready to get rid of my links WRT1900AC it is a dead router! 

Message 14 of 16
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

If you get one of the Netgear ax routers I would recommend getting the cm1100 Netgear modem that has two ethernet ports for link aggregation. I had the cm1000 which just had the one ethernet port and my WiFi speed on the AX8 router stayed around 350 Mbps. Got the cm1100 at Costco and set up the link aggregation on it and the AX8 router and now my WiFi speed is around 520 Mbps. I am on a gig plan so 520 WiFi speed is pretty good. Haven’t tested wired speed as of yet. AX8 plays well with Orbi if some of you have an Orbi Mesh System.
Message 15 of 16
myersw
Master

@microchip8 wrote:

The RAX120 is Qualcomm-based and Qualcomm uses OpenWrt as its SDK so I suspect it will be reliable like the R7800, provided the engineers don't F it up

Maybe Netgear is finally figuring out not to use Broadcom chips like they did in the r8xxx and others with on going firmware issues.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7