× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Routerlogin.net digital certificate expired

Richard1864
Luminary

Routerlogin.net digital certificate expired

Just discovered that the digital certificate for routerlogin.net has expired; it expired on August 2, 2019, and apparently no one at Netgear noticed it or fixed it yet  that is why browsers like Chrome are blocking login to routers.  Can someone from Support pass this on to get it fixed ASAP?  

On a second issue, Netgear's support seems to think that today is late October, it says that my router, which I got on July 22, 2019, is past the 90 day free support period when it isnt even 30 days since it was purchased.  Any one know how to get this fixed?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Routerlogin.net digital certificate expired

Hello Richard1864,

We have received feedback from the community of the same report. I have escalated this to the team to have the issue resolved. We're also aware that the incorrect warranty information maybe displayed for a few members. If you require support, please let me know and I can assist with our Support Team reaching out to you. 

Respectfully,

Christian 

Message 2 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

Hey Christian,

Thanks a bunch for the quick response on the digital certificate issue.

The other question I have is I’ve never noticed if the fan on my RAX120 ever runs. I don’t hear it when the router first boots up, and after 8 hours or so it gets quite hot to touch. Is there any way to check in the UI if it’s running or now?

Richard.
Message 3 of 37
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Richard, 

I have a RAX120 as well and I don't recall the fan turning on however, it has been warm every now and then but not "hot to touch" as you say yours does. Would you mind telling me where you have your RAX120 placed in your home? 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

I keep mine in the office; by dumb luck it is under the air conditioning vent and the ceiling fan. It seems to get hot when the ceiling fan is turned off. I live in Texas and we have had temperatures in the high 90’s F lately.

Has the fan been disabled in the firmware, is that why it doesn’t run?

Richard
Message 5 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

The router sits on top of the desk with nothing above it or next to it. It is not enclosed in any way. I forgot to mention that.
Message 6 of 37
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Richard - Thanks for confirming. I'd like for our Support Team to reach out to you to ensure there are no possible hardware issues. Would you mind sending me a message with your contact info and email address. 

~Christian 

Message 7 of 37
Edarmody
Initiate

The browsers on my iPhone 7 won’t let me access websites since I installed the Netgear router.

i get a screen that says the connection is not private and that someone may be trying to impersonate the website.  When I click view the certificate, I see www.routerlogin.net

expires 8/2/2019 and Not Trusted

this only happens on my iPhone, all other devices using this WiFi are working

Message 8 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

This Issue should ONLY affect router login.net or .com, not other websites.

Are you saying this affecting websites that are NOT Netgear sites?
Message 9 of 37
Edarmody
Initiate

When I try to access a website using Safari or Chrome on my iPhone 7 I get a message that this may be a suspect website and when I click for details I see that the Entrust security certificate expired on 8/2/2019. This only happens on the iPhone.  The other devices on the Orbi WiFi work fine

@Richard1864 wrote:
This Issue should ONLY affect router login.net or .com, not other websites.

Are you saying this affecting websites that are NOT Netgear sites?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

Christian, be advised the issue with the expired digital certificate is still NOT repeat NOT fixed.  Any idea on when it will be?

Message 11 of 37
3nwq
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 RBK50 RBK52 RBK52 affected too.

Certificate has expired and you will have problems if you try to connect to it with secured https URL with any browser.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 37
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Richard & 2nwq, 

Engineering is aware and working on addressing the digital certificate expiration. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 13 of 37
dlortie
Aspirant

Hi,

Can we get an update....It should not take a full month to replace an expired certificate...1 or 2 days max....you are running a system in a production environment - not a dev site.

Regards,

Daniel Lortie

Message 14 of 37
trialcritic
Guide

It is Sep 12, 2019 and I still get the certificate error. Wonder when it will be fixed. I am really surprised that it is not being addressed.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

I sincerely doubt they’ll ever fix it. They’re releasing firmware updates to all their newest routers, and the updated firmware all contain the expired digital certificates. I gave up on Netgear and returned my router. If they can’t fix this simple issue in 24-48 hours then the company is beyond useless and stupid; you have to wonder what more serious security flaws and bugs they’re NOT patching, or CLAIM they’ve patched without actually doing anything.
Message 16 of 37

I purchased the RAX120 Nighthawk on August 8, 2019. I have not been able to login to www.routerlogin.net yet!  I keep getting: Routerlogin.net digital certificate expired.      This is VERY upsetting.  I installed the Nighthawk app on my Samsung phone and it will not accept the network key code. So how am I supposed to update or view anything if nothing works?  

Message 17 of 37
Richard1864
Luminary

FCC has confirmed all supported Netgear routers, consumer and business, are affected by this expired certificate, that the issue has been raised with Netgear, and they don’t know if Netgear will ever fix it. The FCC claps confirmed this expired certificate affects accessing https websites and apps, and prevents even simple router maintenance as administrators can no longer login to the routers. The FCC no longer recommends purchasing Netgear routers because of this outstanding critical issue.

It would be really nice if Netgear would finally actually REPLACE the expired certificate. Even the FCC says this should have been done within 12 HOURS of it first being reported and emergency firmware updates pushed out to all supported routers within 24 hours of first report.
Message 18 of 37
Malty
Aspirant

Tried signing into nighthawk app tonight and I keep getting an error try again. So I guess I’m not going to get signed in. So what do we do now
Message 19 of 37

Thank you for that information. As I have been reading tonight online, I see this is a huge problem. I don't understand why they haven't taken steps to correct it. Buying the lastest router, one think they knew people would learn their certificate is expired. Mine is new enough we can return it. I am going back to my old one for now. I have always liked Netgear, but this has sure put some antenna's up for me concerning future purchases.  

Message 20 of 37

I must have tried 50 times to sign in. One time it would take my information, the next time it acted like I had the wrong password. I did everything one usually does when things like that happen, to no avail. Even on my phone app, the password wouldn't work the second time I signed in. I couldn't figure that one out since nothing had changed since hooking up the router. I even tried changing browsers as suggested by Netgear help via email. I think I got level one help because it was no help at all. I'm going to use my old router for now and read up on other brands. 

Message 21 of 37
dwstanley
Aspirant

Has anyone updated the certificate on routerlogin.net yet?  Does anyone at work at netgear?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 22 of 37

The certificate was valid from 8/2/2016 on 8/2/2019.

It's now 10/2/2019.

Not a good look; makes you wonder what other security NETGEAR doesn't take seriously.

Please fix ASAP.

Using Orbi RBR50 - Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30

Message 23 of 37
davidcheok
Apprentice

Any update on this issue? Is there a workaround we can do that doesnt depend on netgear?

Message 24 of 37

I wish I could say I have a new router, but I couldn't return mine, so I am stuck with the Nighthawk--still unable to login with admin and password [mine] on my desktop computer. I have tried every way possible. I ended up downloading the netgear app [as per nighthawk suggestion on paperwork] and I can see some information, but it NOTHING like being able to login to router and see it all. The informatin on the app is not even comparable to what I used to be able to monitor from my desktop.  As far as I can tell that certificate still has not been renewed or Netgear has taken steps to make sure we only use the phone app and receive less information. I can't imagine what else it could be that some of us cannot login from a computer to see ALL router information.   Maybe someone else in this forum has some newer information.  

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7