× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SQ. FT. Coverage....

H6G
Aspirant
Aspirant

SQ. FT. Coverage....

I'm planning of buying the RAX200. ON the Amazone's product comparison chart, it states that RAX120 covers 3500 sq. ft., however, RAX200 can only cover 2500 sq. ft.? how can that be? is it a missprint? Why woulod RAX200 cover a smaller area than RAX120?

What is the real coverage?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
avtella
Prodigy

CPU is slightly faster but not something that’s going to make a night and day difference, but I believe Qualcomm’s WiFi chipset is better and they usually implement ancillary features like MU-MIMO in a more functional manner.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
avtella
Prodigy

The RAX200 is just a RAX80 with an extra 5Ghz band. Having an extra 5Ghz band won’t boost coverage.

The RAX120 uses a better chipset made by Qualcomm and has 8 antennas for its single 5Ghz band vs 4 each for the two 5Ghz bands on the RAX200. Higher model number doesn’t mean better in every aspect. For the average home user even one with lots of clients I’d still probably not recommend a triband router from my own experience, Id say go for the RAX120 if deciding between the two.

Also be careful of just going off of the box estimates. Coverage also depends on home construction and obstacles and placement of a router. My home is mostly wood/drywall interior so I can get great coverage and speeds even in my basement with my router on the 2nd floor conversely a family friend with a house with more concrete interiors and granite flooring gets much lower speeds in their basement with the router just one floor above.
Message 2 of 4
H6G
Aspirant
Aspirant

@avtella,

Thank you very much for clearing things up. So it appears that the processor in RAX120 is more powerful than in RAX200? I will definitely get RAX120.... instead of 200.

Also, do you know if I could connect (via WiFi) two RBS50 mesh units to RAX120, to increase coverage even further?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 4
avtella
Prodigy

CPU is slightly faster but not something that’s going to make a night and day difference, but I believe Qualcomm’s WiFi chipset is better and they usually implement ancillary features like MU-MIMO in a more functional manner.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7